FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Smith Village Redevelopment plan By j.carpenter
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
JCARPENTER
F L I N T O I D

First let me say to those who do not know me that i have built appx. 2000 houses in three states, managed all of the cities HUD homes for six years and owned two Century 21 offices and a Coldwell Banker office for over thirty years. I was born and raised in Flint and live in the city now. i also
served as Flints transportation director for two and a half years.
Mayor Williamson called upon this experience and ask me to JUMP START Smith Village. The following steps were taken.

1.Organize a major cleanup with neighborhood residents.
2.Paved mary street from Root st to Saginaw and around the church.
3.Replaced all damaged street signs and replaced street lights.
4.Had more than 22 junk cars removed.(many more need removal)
5.Domolished homes on Mary ,Williams, Ave. C, Lousia,and Wood.
6.Secured old glass co.and installed guard rails to prevent dumping.
7.Replaced Williams st. from MLK to Saginaw st. (no Walling had nothing to do with this) including under ground street lighting and minature arches at each end of Williams,new sidewalks and brick from street to walks.
8.Negociated with N.I.P.P. to build four homes South of Williams.
9.Assited developer of internal revenue building with addition of village lots, in co-peration with Land Bank,making development possible.
10.Started cleanup of Nineth st. to create a( safe route to work) for Potential Hurley employee residents of the Village.(They want to walk to work)
11.Purchased six lots on Ave.B for future buildding sites.
12.Attended all block club meetings keeping residents informed.

Now lets not fire, ready, aim by building a bunch of affordable homes
that we dont really need right now untill we finish what has already been started.

Step one, knock off spending money on unessary advertising in order to get relected in November.
Step two, demo the five commercial buildings located inside the Village
and finish residential demos.
Step three,add some iron fencing at each end of Williams st.
Step four,shut down salvage yard and auto rehab operations being operated inside the village.
Step five,cleanup the kennedy center property and create a park rec.center for future residents.
Step six, sell the four homes that already have been sitting un sold for years.
Step seven, ask the land bank to rehab the homes the own.

Finaly, Build two or three model homes on williams st and build ,as sold, for the ballance of the village. I suggest to you that if these steps had been taken in the first place, Smith village would not be in the shape that it is today.
Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:43 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

John and Nancy Jurkiewicz put a lot of planning into the rebuilding of Smith Village. After the former 5th Ward Council person let the Citizens district Council veto 2 plans. HUD would no longer approve a plan in writing. John was creative and worked diligently to make progress that HUD would approve.
Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:58 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Walling should of never gotten rid of you John, you are a great asset to this town. Seems like Walling only surrounds himself with people who are friends, high school friends or people he has to pay back for getting him elected.

Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Gov. Snyder, please consider John Carpenter when you name an emergency financial manager for Flint.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

John Carpenter an asset to flint, pahahaha. Yeah I really miss those days of booming success of government plans. Oh wait.....
Post Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:39 pm 
JCARPENTER
F L I N T O I D

Hey MUNN- Taxpayers can't hear you laugh wiith your head in the sand or that other place that the sun don't shine.

Maybe Walling can figure out what to do after he gets his hands on that !.2 million dollars of that grant money he says is on the way for a new city wide plan?

What do you think Flint?
Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:09 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
munnbreslin schreef:
John Carpenter an asset to flint, pahahaha. Yeah I really miss those days of booming success of government plans. Oh wait.....

John got much accomplished, including some things that some thought couldn't be done such as tearing down heartland manor. He is multi talented and has a proven track record. He did not give contracts to friends like the current administration.

Munn- What have you ever accomplished that gives you the authority to criticize John?
Post Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:03 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The City should have let John finish the proposed Smith Village Plan from 3 yrs ago.
Post Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:18 am 
JCARPENTER
F L I N T O I D

Just when you think this mayor cant come up with another dumb idea,he tops police layoffs, fire dept layoffs,park closings,inexperienced political appointments etc etc etc He comes up with auto world 2. and wants to build 83 affordable homes when this city has a thousand avalible right now.Talk about fire ready aim. Hey Dayne why dont you focus your efforts on making Flint a safe,clean city with good schools and parks and leave subdivision development to private business? Do you really think that sending nine million dollars to Indiana for pre fab homes is a good idea? We have hundreds of construction workers look for work. This is just the kind of waste that you get when government gets envolved in something that they have no idea what they are doing. Please stick to what you were hired to do and leave development to people that know what there doing.
Post Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:12 pm 
JCARPENTER
F L I N T O I D

I see that the first factory built homes have arrived from Indiana for Smith Village. How do you feel about sending millions of your tax dollars to another state along with a couple hundred local construction jobs? Bet the governor is really impressed?

Wonder if the illegal use of sewer/water reserve funds will get shoved down our throats along with these unnessary new builds?

What do you think Flint?
Post Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:31 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

John -not only sewer and water. The city agreed to HUD that they would "prioritize" the spending of all available city resourses towards the construction of Smith Village.

That means local streets, sidewalks and community Block development Funds.

Didn't Walling brag that he was the transparency Mayor? I don't see it.
Post Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:18 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I just drove through Mott Park and the hills near McLaren. With so many foreclosures and houses for sale, that area would have been a good one to stabilize. Flint was subjected to "Reverse Redlining' and many predatory loans took place here and in University Park.
Post Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:21 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

This was in or very close to the New Smith Village!

Tow truck driver shot after being lured behind house in Flint; victim chases shooter despite leg wound

Published: Thursday, October 20, 2011, 6:51 PM Updated: Thursday, October 20, 2011, 6:58 PM

By Austin Anthony | The Flint Journal
Follow

View full size(Austin Anthony | The Flint Journal)The victim of a shooting on Harriet Street in Flint describes a shooting incident to a Flint police officer Thursday afternoon. The victim, a tow truck driver, was shot in the right leg after the shooter lured him behind a house to show him a car that needed to be towed, the victim said.
FLINT, Michigan — A tow truck driver was shot in the leg in a suspected robbery attempt around 5:30 p.m. on Harriet Street near Root Street.

The victim, who was on his feet walking around the scene after the shooting, said the shooter lured him behind a house to show him a car, then fired at him.

The victim said he chased the shooter, who dropped the .22-caliber gun and ran down Root Street.

The man spoke with police, refused an ambulance and drove off in his tow truck, saying he was headed to the hospital.

Police were investigating the scene.
Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:44 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The work is already being done and water and sewer lines were being constructed last week. Little thought is being given as to the location of the new houses as the newly constructed Williams Street is having it's curbs being driven over with heavy equipment.

Flint City Council postpones discussion of Smith Village water, sewer work

Published: Wednesday, October 19, 2011, 7:26 PM Updated: Wednesday, October 19, 2011, 7:40 PM

By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal
Follow

FLINT, Michigan -- The Flint City Council postponed until Monday its reconsideration of spending $767,000 in water and sewer funds on the Smith Village project.

The city voted last month to spend the funds on infrastructure work and tap-in fees for the housing development, but on Oct. 10 voted to reconsider the move.

Council members said they later learned of a city ordinance that says water and sewer hook-ups "shall be the responsibility of the property owner" and cannot be paid for with water and sewer system funds.

The council is expected to discuss the issue at its meeting on Monday
Post Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:17 am 
JCARPENTER
F L I N T O I D

I had an opportunity to pass thru Smith Village today an noticed that homes are being constructed on Williams street. Williams street is only 40ft. wide and was designed as a thru street only, with homes to face the north/south streets. The whole idea here was to provide neighborhood safer ingress/egress to MLK and Saginaw st. and a safer route for school buses. O well go ahead and tear up the sidewalks, curbs and new street when you tap into the sewer and water lines.

I noticed the homes are already drywalled and trimed out. Bet that cost the city construction workers a few desperatley needed jobs? Wonder if they are purchasing Michigan materials? Bet you didnt even know we have drywall made in Michigan.

I didnt notice the four homes that I arranged for NIPP to build in the village.

I think we should subtract a couple hundred jobs and 9million dollars we are sending to Indiana from all the jobs and dollars the mayor is braging about creating Flint.

What do you think Flint/
Post Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:03 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: