FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Michigan Unemployment drops to 11.7%
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Michigan's December Jobless Rate Increases

January 21, 2008 – Michigan's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate in December jumped upward by a full percentage point to 10.6 percent, according to data released today by the Michigan Department of Energy, Labor & Economic Growth (DELEG). Total employment dropped by 68,000 and unemployment rose by 47,000, as the state labor force declined by 21,000 over the month.

Michigan's December 2008 jobless rate was three and two-tenths percentage points above the state's December 2007 rate of 7.4 percent. In the same period, the national jobless rate recorded an advance of two and three-tenths percentage points.

"Job losses accelerated in the second half of 2008 in Michigan and the U.S. ," said Rick Waclawek, director of DELEG's Bureau of Labor Market Information and Strategic Initiatives. "As a result, Michigan's jobless rate rose nearly two percentage points since September 2008."

Monthly Labor Force Trends & Highlights

Michigan's unemployment rate in December was the highest monthly rate for the state since December 1984.

Total employment in Michigan has fallen every month this year since January.

U.S. recession), unemployment in Michigan increased by 147,000 or 39.5 percent. Nationally, unemployment rose slightly faster by 47.3 percent in the same period.

With another reduction of the state's labor force in December, Michigan's work force has contracted over the year by 95,000 or 1.9 percent.

The U.S. jobless rate in December rose by four-tenths of a percentage point to 7.2 percent.

Last edited by Adam on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:15 pm; edited 7 times in total
Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:28 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Not good news!

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

The Flint area was already at 11.6 estimated in November so I imagine the Flint area is around 12.6 or even 13%.
Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:47 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

We're now at 11.6% for january.
Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:27 pm 
Uncle Ted
F L I N T O I D

would move. Come on down to Texas our economy is still going well. Homes are affordable rent is cheap. And most of all the winters are very mild, but on the flip side summers a hotter than hell. But if you are looking for union support Texas is a right to work state and you want find to many unions. Super
Post Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:25 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

12%
Post Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:37 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Michigan is listed at 12.8% for February with the Flint area at 13.8%.
Post Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:11 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Michigan reported the nation's highest unemployment rate at 15.3%. It was followed by Nevada at 13.3%, Rhode Island at 13%, California at 12.2% and South Carolina at 11.6%.
Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:35 pm 
Kyle
F L I N T O I D

Damn
Post Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:50 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

and those numbers do not include those who have run out of unemployment benefits correct?

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:53 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I think it does still count those people if they are looking for work although many people probably give up within a year.

The numbers are a sham though. Things are probably way worse than the #'s indicate.
Post Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:49 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

agree

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:14 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Down to 14.7%.
Post Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:34 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

It's FAR worse than that. If someone is jobless & not registered with the MESC, there's no way to count them. If you're not looking for a job through them, or if your benefits have run out, you're not counted. As a guess, I'd say the true rate in Flint is somewhere between 25% & 35%. For the entire state, I'd say it's around 20%.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Reports were saying Detroit was actually close to 50%. I imagine Flint is not too much better than that.
Post Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:14 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: