FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Police union is going to sue the City!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

I like the idea of unions, but when they stand in the way I public safety I say get rid of them.

So what if a police officer has to ride alone, I do it every day!lol

I didn't read anything in the Mayor's recon-plan about police officers not be able to call for back up?

Please, they are police officers it is their job to enter dangerous situations and if they feel unsafe maybe the should find another mean of employment?

Am I wrong??

Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted J

Yes, Your wrong.

With the level of Criminal in todays world. Riding alone in Flint would pretty much be a death wish. Especially at night. A patrolman making a traffic stop is one thing. REsponding to a domestic distrubance, shooting, breaking and entering is not a good idea.

Also, just patroling. How is an officer supposed to drive and watch what is going on around him? There should be two officers in cars when patroling. Plain and simple.
Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:08 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

More police on the streets will lessen crime.

Common sense will dictate the amount of officers need to respond to a call.

I am sure the police know what sort of calls require back up and it should be standard operating proceeder to call for back up anytime an office feels he/she needs it.

Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Steve, This is where I wonder if your not just posting to FLAME!!!
What common sense? More Cops lesson crime by what scale???? What measurement do you use? Your not making any sense!!! LOOK AT THE CiTY OF FLINT STATS!!!!! The stats prove just the opposite! Hiring more police officers in Flint, Used by this mayor, for his own personal vendettas. Isn't going to do a damn thing to lessen crime in FLINT!

Where do you live? Planet X? Dream World??

Flint's LOWEST CRIME RATE was during the Takeover! (2003) When Flint police was at its lowest manpower level ever? Hmmm Blows that stupid theroy right out of the water! Adding more officers under the Williamson administration has proven that it will INCREASE crime! Just look at the city's crime stats. Lay the numbers of Officers back to back with the crime rates? Compare them. Just becuase it sounds reasonable that crime should go down with mroe officers. In FLint, Under Don WIlliamsons lackluster leadership. Crime increased while the police manpower levels increased! It's a FACT I didn't make it up. When Police manpower was going down. Under the Leadership of Chief Barksdale Crime went down!

Here are the FACTS! Not mine. THis is from the City of Flint!

In 2002 Police Manpower level was 277. Flint was under the State Takeover. Crime was really reduced 10.57 percent.

In 2003 Police Manpower level was 238 under Flint was under the State takeover. Crime Was down again another 15.3 Percent

In 2004 Police Manpower level was 249 (hiring 11 more officers). June 2004 the Mayor Fires Chief Barksdale and Declares himself to be the city’s Police Chief. Crime Jumps UP 17 Percent

In 2005 Police Manpower level was (249 – 259) Mayor still attempting to run police department from his cell phone and crime goes up another 12 percent.

In 2006 Police Manpower level was 267 The Jury is still out.

WHERE?? In What years was Crime going down??

Why do you say stuff that is so obviously uncorrect. That the City of Flint shows isn't true. It's your site. Run it however you want. But making dumb comments just to insite discussion is not mature reasoning. If we are interested in discussing a issue. We will. You don't need to make dumb comments to get poeple active. Leave that crap for Mlive. unless that's what you want this board to become. Continue to insight flaming. It's your board.
Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

I did not post to flame you.

I respect the time and effort that you have put into your stats.

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:22 am 
pissedlivinginflint

Well here we go. single officer units could be effective in reducing crime if you have two main
components. one is an officer who is competent in his or her duties and knowing when to call for back
up as Steve Myers was saying . Two you need and officer who has situational awareness while on
patrol , and is observant when a situation happens. We in the privet sector have to conduct our daily
lives alone and the criminals that are out there are after us not the cops , so we have to be ready to
defend our selves or our loved ones at a moments notice. we do not receive money for doing this but
cops do and they are bitching about it . I’m sorry but if we have to ride alone (we can’t call for
backup), yes I know we can call 911 ( that’s our back up) ya right (call 911 talk to a dispatcher and
wait 30min to 3 hrs for our back up) than you should ride alone (and you can call for backup). If this
is to hard for you than you should not have become a cop. O one more thing. For these new cops to
reduce crime they have to want to help the community and not be just be a revenue collector for the
city and seeing your job as merely a paycheck ( witch sadly I think is what they are going to be more
often than not) and to Ted J ya we know you are a cop so you must defend you brothers and sisters on
the force ( the blue wall) and I respect your dedication to people who may save your life one day or
vice versa. But I want a cop who will understand and follow justice not merely law, and have the moral
character to do the right thing even when no one is watching (something that is in short supply today).
Thank you all for letting me rant.

Buy a gun and learn to use it safely and effectively so you can defend yourself and your loved ones,
because the police cant and won’t
Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:27 am 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think what Ted is trying to say is this, it does not matter how many offices you have if you do not have effective leadership.

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:51 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
I think what Ted is trying to say is this, it does not matter how many offices you have if you do not have effective leadership.

Exactly! Flint has already proved the we can lower crime with less officers. So people to say in effect "More officers means less crime" is a misnomer!

Flint had a lower crime rate and more effective officers on duty when Manpower was at 1 officer for every 520 citizens.

Today we have one officer for every 441 citizens and response times are worse, crime is going up, and officers are not being allowed to respond to crimes. They are responding to Mayoral directives "Go get Eric Mays!"

quote:
one is an officer who is competent in his or her duties and knowing when to call for back up as Steve Myers was saying
in some situations, Yes, traffic Cops, school crossing guards, etc. The problem is no officer if they are smart will respond to a domestic violence call by themselves. You don't have to be a police officer to know that attempting to break up a husband wife fight can result in one or both turning on the officer. This already a KNOWN expectation. Responding to a burglary in progress. I wouldn't want to show up alone. you show up as an officer and there are three of them. Two trying to break in and one look out. From interviews with these punks they usually have a look out who is armed.

quote:
I’m sorry but if we have to ride alone (we can’t call for
backup), yes I know we can call 911 ( that’s our back up) ya right (call 911 talk to a dispatcher and wait 30min to 3 hrs for our back up) than you should ride alone (and you can call for backup).
We are not expected to break up fights, chase down criminals, make arrests in a racially charged city!

Effective use of Manpower would solve this problem. Some of the mayor’s ideas are close to being right on the money. Or I could say better than what they are currently doing. However, implementing these rules will require a leadership principle this administration isn’t competent to perform.

quote:
and to Ted J ya we know you are a cop so you must defend you brothers and sisters on the force ( the blue wall) and I respect your dedication to people who may save your life one day or vice versa.
I’m not a cop. And because of my outspokenness at council meetings I’m sure they are not thrilled with my comments about their service. I don’t blame them (not all of them) because much of it isn’t their fault. It’s not their fault that more officers are on days when less crime goes on. Leaving a shortage of first responders on nights when most crime happens. It’s not the officer’s fault that the Mayor finds it more important to have three officers at Brennen Center in an attempt to ‘s stop Eric Mays from getting signatures for the Mayor’s recall. It’s not the Officer’s fault that the Mayor has TWELVE Officers at a housing commission meeting and they don’t make one arrest! Go after that Bad officers for their poor performance. Don’t blame all of them for Crime when Crime is at the bottom of the Mayor’s use for Police Officers in Flint.
Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:14 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: