FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Council kills police millage

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Flint City Council denies 6-mill public safety tax proposal

The Flint City Council tonight declined to consider putting a 6-mill public safety tax before voters in May.

The six-year tax was proposed by Flint Mayor Dayne Walling to pay for public safety services, including police, fire and the city jail.

The city laid off 20 police officers Friday for budget reasons.

Many council members said the city needs to find another way to fund public safety services that doesn't involve a property tax increase.

"The people in my district cannot afford it," Councilman Delrico Loyd said. "The seniors and low-income families can't afford these increases."

The council was unanimously opposed to moving forward on the proposal at its committee meeting tonight.

Walling had asked the council to put the tax on the May 3 ballot for voters to vote yes or no on it.

"This resolution does not authorize the increase -- this resolution gives our voters the opportunity to go to the polls," Walling told council members. "I believe our residents want to see us move forward with this."

Councilwoman Jackie Poplar said she doesn't support the 6-mill proposal, but would support putting a 4-mill public safety tax before voters.

"These people need to step up to the plate and determine what they want," Poplar said of city voters. "It's time for the citizens of the city of Flint to step up, not a handful."

Some council members said they would support an income tax increase, which would take a change in state law. Others suggested various changes to the public safety tax that would need to be made before they would again consider it.

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:20 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

WOW. The council has BALLS! I couldn't agree more, I don't trust Walling and Co. and wouldn't vote to increase taxes and have him mismanage them.

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Walling also suggested residents could start a petition drive for a millage increase. Let them do it and see how far it goes. I agree with what Scott Kincaid said about the proposed language. The problem is that it's all bunched together, doesn't specify who gets what. Also, we'd be no farther ahead. Nobody can afford higher property taxes. They talk about what the "average" property owner would pay in extra taxes, but mine is unbelievably twice higher than that average. I don't see my property any greater than average. Looks like I need to appeal my assessment.

We've already got a special assessment for Genesee Towers and 22-25% higher water/sewer bills. NO more property taxes!

Who has to do what to request change in state law to increase the 1% city income tax? That's one I would support for the general fund. But that still doesn't get the administrators off the hook from balancing the budget--starting with removing positions at the top! Administration is top heavy.
Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:09 pm 
lacyw
F L I N T O I D

I have to say I agree with council on this one. There are many residents in my neighborhood who do everything they can just to keep their home in working order, they simply cannot afford an increase in their property taxes. Not only that, to put something like that as a ballot proposal would get it as good as passed. Not everyone in the city owns a property and pays property taxes. Some residents own homes in areas that exempt them from property taxes, while others are renters. How do you think they would vote on this? All they see is the promise of more public safety that they don't have to pay for. It is no skin off their nose to approve this.

It is also true that I don't trust the Walling administration to handle the monies collected from this increase. Council expressed the same concerns in the language presented.

I agree about increasing income taxes if taxes somewhere must be increased to fund our public safety. Most people that live in the city have some type of income. Increase the income taxes by 1-2% that way everyone pays, not just those who own a home outside of exempt areas. I also think that since it would take a legislative effort to make this happen, there should be some strings attached. That percentage collected from the increase should be placed in a separate fund that can be used for public safety only. If that's what the increase is claimed to be requested for, that should be the only thing it should be spent on.
Post Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:47 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Heard Eason was at the north side meeting today and wouldn't answer a question about whether or not the 2 mill community plicing millage was included in the 6 mill proposal or a separate ballot initiative. The chair actually tabled it.
Post Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:23 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Flint to consider putting 6-mill tax for public safety before voters
Published: Monday, December 20, 2010, 11:49 AM Updated: Monday, December 20, 2010, 12:06 PM
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal

FLINT, Michigan — Flint Mayor Dayne Walling's administration tonight is expected to ask the Flint City Council to put a 6-mill public safety tax before voters in May.

The 6-mill tax would be "solely for the purpose of public safety services, including a city-wide community police program, operation of a city jail, and fire protection services," according to information from the mayor's office.

The measure would increase Flint residents' taxes by 4 mills, since it would replace the current 2-mill neighborhood police millage.

The proposal comes days after 20 Flint police officers were laid off Friday.

Walling is asking that the tax be put on the May 3 general election ballot. The Flint City Council meeting will be held at 5:30 p.m. tonight at Flint City Hall, 1101 S. Saginaw St.

Walling announced last month he was planning to ask for either 4 mills or 6 mills. The information on tonight's city council agenda shows he's planning to ask for 6 mills.

A homeowner with a taxable value of $19,700 — the city's average — will see an increase of $78.80 a year.

Here is the proposed millage language:

"Public Safety Operations Millage: Shall Section 7.201 (A)(4) be added to the Charter of the City of Flint to authorize the city to levy an additional ad valor em tax in an amount not-to-exceed six (6) mills for 6 (six) years, from July 1, 2011, through June 30, 2017, for the sole purpose of paying for public safety services, including a city-wide community police program, operation of a city jail, and fire protection services?

It is estimated that six (6) mills would raise approximately $7,830,728.42 in the first year."
---

Source: http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/12/flint_city_council_to_consider_1.html
Post Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:50 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

That means if the 6 mill tax had been on the ballot and failed, there would be a loss of 16 to 20 more police jobs.

Thanks OOSL2 I missed that story as I was xmas shopping. Knowing how much it cost to run the jail in the past, I wonder if that millage was enough. Even so it should be broken down so people can vote for what they support.

It looks like another hit for revenue sharing with the state facing another deficit.
Post Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:50 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling says petition drive could get public safety tax on ballot
Published: Thursday, December 23, 2010, 8:18 AM Updated: Thursday, December 23, 2010, 8:18 AM
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal

FLINT, Michigan — Mayor Dayne Walling’s new plan to get a public safety tax increase on the ballot?

Ask voters to put it there themselves.

The Flint City Council soundly rejected Walling’s request to place a six-year, 6-mill tax proposal on the May 3 ballot.

As he considers whether to ask council members to consider a modified proposal, Walling said he will look to Flint residents to collect signatures from registered voters to get the issue on the ballot.

Walling would need more than 4,200 signatures — 5 percent of the total number of registered voters in the city, according to state law.

The question is: Will anyone do it?

Walling said he hasn’t had any volunteers start circulating petitions yet, but that there’s interest.

“I’ve talked to a number of community leaders and residents who want to make sure the millage is on the ballot in May and are willing to do whatever they can to help the process move along,” he said. “A well-organized petition drive could be successful in a relatively short amount of time.”

But Flint Councilman Delrico Loyd said he’s heard from people in his neighborhood who can’t afford a tax increase.

City residents already have seen their water and sewer rates increase by 25 percent this year, on top of the 6.7-mill assessment in December that paid for the Genesee Towers.

“I don’t think it’s been proven to the public that we’re able to manage the resources we have,” Loyd said at Monday’s council meeting. “There are other areas for us to generate revenue other than asking the public.”

However, some Flint residents wholeheartedly support a tax increase for public safety.

The city laid off 66 police officers this year, and Walling said the 6-mill tax could bring back 40 police officers or firefighters.

Flint resident Roger McClendon said his north-side neighborhood is “like a war zone.” Would he be willing to pay more?

“Hell yes,” he said.

“My wife at one time actually had to kiss the ground to dodge bullets because some yahoo was firing sporadically,” said McClendon, 58. “As long as we got police on the street and as long as the response time could be cut down, I’d pay that.”

Walling said he’s hoping for a petition drive because he doesn’t know whether there are enough votes from the City Council to put any tax increase on the ballot .

Loyd said he’s not willing to vote for an increase because he’s not confident the funds would be well managed. Councilman Josh Freeman said it’s not fair to ask residents to pay more when concessions from city unions haven’t been ironed out.

But at least a couple of council members haven’t ruled out some form of an increase.

Council President Jackie Poplar said she would be willing to support a 4-mill proposal, which Walling previously discussed but hasn’t yet brought to the table.

Councilman Bernard Lawler said he’s still neutral on a tax increase and hasn’t ruled anything out.

The millage is expected to generate $7.8 million in the first year, but Walling’s administration projects that could decrease by about $300,000 a year.

The revenue decrease could lead to public safety layoffs — and an accompanying backlash from the general public.

Walling said the city can’t guarantee staffing levels in such an unstable economy and that the millage won’t necessarily prevent future layoffs.

“We really can’t get into those promises,” he said.

Still, Walling said residents understand that and would like the chance to vote on the proposal.

“Our residents are willing to support this,” he said. “A lot of citizens expressed support.”
Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:27 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Did Flint apply for any of these grants?

2010 COPS Award Packages - Recipients of COPS grants receive by mail an official congratulatory letter, an Award Document, a Financial Clearance Memo, and instructions on accepting their awards. Additional information about accepting and managing COPS grants and program-specific instructions and resources are included in this on-line award package.

2010 General Funding Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technology Program Grant Owners Manual COPS Award Package
Methamphetamine Initiative Grant Owners Manual COPS Award Package
Coordinated Tribal Assistance Solicitation (CTAS) Grant Owners Manual COPS Award Package
Community Policing Development Grant Owners Manual COPS Award Package
Child Sexual Predator Program
Grant Owners Manual COPS Award Package
Secure Our Schools Program
Grant Owners Manual COPS Award Package
Tribal Meth Grant Owners Manual COPS Award Package
COPS Hiring Program Grant Owner's Manual COPS Award Package
Safe Schools Initiative Grant Owner's Manual COPS Award Package
Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:48 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Probably not, since they would require accounting for the money, something Walling & Co. don't want.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
2010 COPS Award Packages ....
Thanks, Webs, this allowed me to find a source of explanation for the COPS acronym (I was curious how it related to the Neighborhood Police millage Flint property owners pay). "Community Oriented Policing Services."

Source: http://www.cops.usdoj.gov/default.asp?item=46
Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:10 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I'm glad it's not "Citizens On Patrol" from the Police Academy movies, where walling probably got his blue badge volunteer ideas.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
I'm glad it's not "Citizens On Patrol" from the Police Academy movies, where walling probably got his blue badge volunteer ideas.

LOL
Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:35 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

ONCE AGAIN THE JOURNAL EDITORIAL BOARD IS EITHER CLUELESS OR IS WILLING TO SUPPORT WALLING AT ANY COST! COUNCIL HAS SEEN ENOUGH BAD MILLAGE REQUESTS TO KNOW THAT WHEN THESE REQUESTS DON'T SPELL OUT IN DETAIL WHAT THE MONEY IS TO BE USED FOR, THEN THE TAXPAYERS DON'T GET WHAT THEY EXPECTED WHEN THEY VOTED. THEY HAVE LET WALLING KNOW THEY WANT THE SPECIFICS AND NOT SOME GENERIC LANGUAGE THAT LETS HIM DO AS HE PLEASES. WHAT IS WRONG WITH TELLING PEOPLE EXACTLY WHAT PORTION OF THE TAX IS FOR POLICING, THE JAIL OR WHATEVER?

Our Voice: Unite in Flint crime fight; start with push for jail space
Published: Sunday, December 26, 2010, 6:00 AM
By Editorial Board | The Flint Journal
Looking no farther ahead than the ends of their own noses, Flint City Council members said on Monday they will not put a proposed public safety tax on the ballot.

Flint taxpayers simply can’t afford it, they said.

Well, shouldn’t taxpayers be the ones to decide what they can afford, and are willing to pay, for a safer city? They are, after all, ultimately paying the price.

The council should listen to what police say they need — jail space — and revisit its refusal to put Mayor Dayne Walling’s proposal on the ballot. Besides setting up that future election, such a decision would send a strong signal that city leaders are moving forward, united, with a plan to fight crime.

Walling proposed a 6-mill property tax to bring back 40 police officers from layoff, reopen the 120-bed City Jail and recall some firefighters.

With city leaders marching to the same tune, and in the same direction on this public safety proposal, Flint could be in a strong position to seek and quickly receive emergency federal money to begin that crime fight now.

Immediate money could send as many as 110 Genesee County Jail inmates to Midland County, which has offered a bargain rate to house them in a brand-new jail.

Such an arrangement would free up space in our county jail for suspects that police arrest in Flint. The temporary arrangement could suffice until, and if, Flint voters OK a public safety tax in May, which couldn’t be levied and collected until later next year.

Flint can’t afford not to give cops the space they need to throw criminals in jail, even if it’s just for a few days, until they get a bond hearing before a judge.

For someone hustling drugs or pimping prostitutes on the streets of Flint, a day or two away from that action can be an eternity. Left untended, their stash of drugs and money can disappear, cars are driven away and business can vanish.

That’s what those who cause fear on our city’s streets ought to fear themselves, even for a minor, misdemeanor criminal charge.

Yet, we have heard from law enforcement that, unlike other cities, where jail awaits them, our local hustlers don’t even bother to disperse and hurry away when police come down their streets.

What’s to fear from a citation or a court-appearance ticket?

Take care of the smaller crimes — and instill a healthy respect for police — and a reduction of the bigger crimes may follow.

It’s what has happened in Saginaw, where police bust the chops of anyone suspected of any criminal activity, where community watch groups are reinvigorated, and where taxpayers last summer voted to increase their tax for police and fire services.

There, the county jail is about the same size as the Genesee County jail, which serves twice the population. In Saginaw, there’s room in the jail for petty criminals. And, unlike in Flint, street life scatters when a cop makes an appearance — the threat of arrest is very real.

That’s why the Mayor Walling is proposing to reopen the Flint City Jail.

It’s why the City Council should back proposals to pay for jail space, even if it’s merely agreeing to ask voters, in the form of a ballot question, what they want.

In the meantime, the Midland jail, just an hour drive north of Flint, presents a good, temporary solution to free up jail space here for petty criminals.

With such a plan in hand, with unanimous support, we wager that federal officials would be disposed lend Flint a hand, with a grant to pay for Midland jail space until the city jail here is open.

Unite now on this jail-space plan, seek grant money temporarily to pay for it, and then show some results by May.

We bet voters would line up gladly to raise their taxes for a proven crime-fighting tool.
Post Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:40 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: