FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Walling seeks financial support for re-election campaign

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

The mayor doesn't plan an "official announcement" just yet? Does this article in the Flint Journal qualify as financial support from the FJ to his campaign? He has also sent emails requesting financial support for his campaign, according to Ryan's post at http://www.flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=59975#59975

Supporters raising money Flint mayor's next campaign; Dayne Walling plans re-election announcement in 2011
Published: Tuesday, December 28, 2010, 5:40 PM
By Ron Fonger | Flint Journal

FLINT -- Supporters of Dayne Walling are raising money to support his re-election campaign in 2011, but the mayor doesn't plan an official announcement just yet.

"The time will come later for an official announcement about next year's election," Walling said today. "There is a lot of work that remains to be done.

"I will be putting myself forward as a candidate for re-election."

Walling was elected Flint mayor in 2009 in a special election to fill out the term of former mayor Don Williamson, who resigned suddenly in 2009 as he was facing a recall drive.

Walling's fundrasier (sic) is scheduled for 5-7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Blackstone's Pub and Grill in downtown Flint. More information is available from the mayor's campaign committee.

© 2010 MLive.com. All rights reserved.
---
Source: http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/12/flint_mayor_walling_says_it_wa.html
Post Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:24 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Supporters of Dayne Walling are raising money to support his re-election campaign in 2011, but the mayor doesn't plan an official announcement just yet.

Raise money now, announce later. Sounds like J. Wellington Wimpy: "I will pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today".

"The time will come later for an official announcement about next year's election," Walling said today. "There is a lot of work that remains to be done.

Collect money, announce he's not running, leave town with the cash? A lot of work remains to finish destroying Flint to his satisfaction?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Walling has requested Police presence at tonight's fundraiser. Look for at least 2 police officers to be present at BlackStones Pub tonight
Post Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

What's he afraid of, someone won't contribute?

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Are they off-duty guests? On-duty officers being taken off the street, or officers being called in for personal bodyguard? Is his campaign war chest footing the bill? If not, what account do they charge his personal police services to? How about charging against his salary.
Post Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:15 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

My guess is that they'll be on duty officers paid by the taxpayers.

Post Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:58 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I have been told no Flint police were visable at the party. However, a group of somewhat silent protesterd were more visable than were Walling supporters. They wore shirts with Walling's photo and the request that he resign. Allegedly Blackstones was asking them to leave.
Post Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:09 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Terry bankert posted photos on Facebook. Very funny and lots of protesters. They even brought out the truck telling Walling no more cuts to public safety.

Problem is the word is everywhere that Walling cannot even meet the payroll by February.

More lawsuits coming. I still can't believe the law department settled that shooting case for $625,000. The Burgett case did not settle for that much and that woman died.

The conley case is in February and a big arbitration case is happening Monday.

The civil service hearing for Glenda Dunlap, karen Morris, Suzanne Wilcox and Carol Freeman is tentatively scheduled for March 17. If the City holds to their past pattern they will probably continue to postpone.
Post Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:41 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Supporters, detractors of Flint Mayor Dayne Walling attend campaign event at Blackstone's
Published: Wednesday, December 29, 2010, 8:15 PM Updated: Wednesday, December 29, 2010, 10:53 PM
By Khalil AlHajal | The Flint Journal

FLINT, Michigan — Crowds of supporters and detractors of Mayor Dayne Walling gathered at Blackstone's Pub and Grill in downtown Flint on Wednesday during a fundraiser for Walling's 2011 re-election campaign.

"The goal tonight is to kick off the long campaign process and to remind people that there's an election next year," said Walling.

"We've had a great turnout for our event. It shows that we have a lot support across the city."

(Khalil AlHajal | Flint Journal)Aaron Pillen of Flint, left, stands with a group of friends and detractors of Mayor Dayne Walling wearing "Please resign" T-shirts at Blackstone's Pub and Grill Wednesday. On the opposite side of the restaurant were a group of Walling supporters attending a campaign fundraiser.
Walling said about 50 supporters attended the event.

But about 30 more people in the restaurant were there to express opposition to Walling, putting on T-shirts bearing an image of the mayor and the words "please resign."

Most said their concerns stem from police department cuts and the rise of violence in the city.

"He's driving the city into the ground," said Aaron Pillen, 21, who rented a truck parked outside Blackstones covered with a massive banner that read "Tell Walling No! We need our police and fire."

"I'm about to have a kid," said Pillen. "Do you think I want to have to worry about my kid while I'm at work? It just makes me angry to see that he wants to take money from police when there's other stuff that he can take money from."

Organizers of the T-shirt demonstration said they handed out a total of 50 shirts during the event.

Some Walling detractors blamed revenue shortages that led to public safety cuts on decisions like the closure of the city's impound lot.

"The reason there's a $5 million budget shortfall, it's because of the impound lot," said Craig Smith. "He ought to be thrown out of office just for that one thing."

Walling said he's done his best to make the forward-thinking decisions under harsh circumstances.

"I've made a number of tough decisions and they were the best decisions that could be made under the circumstances," he said. "Any time you make change, there are going to be some people who are going to be angry."

He said privatizing the impound operation cleared the way for new business freed multiple police officers who used to run the lot to patrol the streets.

"The impound lot revenues were going down every year and the lot was taking up valuable space at the (Oak Business Center)," Walling said. "The decision was made to focus our police officers on fighting crime, not on junk cars."

The mayor said the presence of the anti-Walling crowd didn't take away from the campaign event.

"I don't really see it making a difference," he said.

Management at the restaurant at one point asked some to remove their "Please resign" shirts because it was making people uncomfortable, but backed off when the customers refused.

"They'll have to arrest us," said Smith. "I don't think they have enough police."

Walling says it made room for new business and then he gives the the land bank a $3,000 a month pole barn or free plus utilities. The impound lot had to pay rent because the auditor said it was improper for the administration to use the building and not pay the owner, The Economic Development Corporation. Light duty officers manned the impound lot.
Post Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:59 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: