FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint PD story on channel 12

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

Please watch the whole video and share your thoughts.
Post Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:36 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Couldn't get the video to load, either with Firefox or IE. That said, I know that response times are long; I listen to the scanner all the time & hear cars dispatched to calls that came in hours ago. I also hear general broadcasts, where there are no cars available, but the call goes out to inform the officers.

I wouldn't expect quick response to any call other than a shooting due to the lack of officers. As far as Walling, I wouldn't believe a word he says.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Congrats to Angie on doing a great story!

Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:08 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Just tried again & still get nothing but "video loading" with nothing showing.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:50 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The video is nearly 14 minutes long so you must be patient as it does take a long time to load. The video demonstrates what many officers have been saying, too few officers for the priority one calls and too many long waits. I emphathise with the Millers who are now moving because of fear after being the victim of a serious crime. I too am considering moving as my once safe neighborhood has become a war zone. I am tired of findng new ways to secure my property as the threats become more real and almost personal.

Walling loves to call everyone a liar when he is the liar. He finally laid off some of the slackards in Department of Community and Economic Development. But they are saying they have been promised their jobs will be returned when possible. They finally decided not to renovate the office as the cost was approaching $100 K and they knew Freeman would not let them slide it by his finance committee. He was already watching the paper trail.
Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:05 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/video?id=7806913#global

Post Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:09 pm 
V.Hickle
F L I N T O I D

When seconds count, The FPD are hours away. Invest in yourself-Arm yourself-Protect yourself.
Post Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:51 pm 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

I'm surprised the mayor and the chief allowed the TV crews to ride along. I'm not surprised Walling lied in his interview or that the chief still appears to have no clue what he's doing.
Post Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:44 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Walling and Eason were at the North Side Revitalization meeeting at 10 am on ML KING and Bishop. Walling first said he wasn't going to discuss union negotiations and then he proceeded to do just that. He insists on fighting his union battles in the media and the public.

When someone discussed how there were jobs down south and not here, Eason blamed the lack of jobs on unions. He has consistently blamed every problem, no matter how wrong he is, on the unions. Why does the UAW support this man with his anti-union staff.

Citizens let Walling know they want more police. He pushed economic development and criticized council for not giving him $500,000 for economic development. Anyone who saw the WJRT 12 story on multiple robberies of small businesses must realize business won't come if they don't feel safe.

Keith Speers said they cancelled a meeting today at 10. am. Obviously pitching his views to north end groups was more important than negotiating contracts. He sent his secretary to call to see if there was a new proposal and then cancelled.
Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:13 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The newest story out of DCED is Walling and Eason are planning to test some of the recently laid off workers so they can be made permanent. The biggest problem is allegations those who are to be tested are the same ones writing the test! Sure to be a cinch to pass if you already know the answers.

Most insiders say we don't even need these people.
Post Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:15 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

What kind of economic development can there be without public safety?

Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:12 am 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

It seems odd that the city is broke and cannot afford police and fire protection. Yet, they have posted job openings in the last month for a "web designer" and an "administrative assistant". They also hired back former santitation director, Arnold Brown, as a "contract consultant" for $75k/yr. The city has demanded that the police unions take 10% concessions based on the entire police budget for fiscal year 2009 with equals nearly 14 million dollars. This number includes many granted funded projects that require the money to be spent, as well as several civilian employees and a couple of Walling's appointees who are paid out of the police budget. If you divide 14 million by 135(total number of officers currently working from the chief down) it is nearly $104,000. In reality, a sergeant with 22 years of seniority only makes $62k and with benefits added costs the city around $85k. What the adminstration is asking for is more like 16% concessions. The unions have offered around 13.5% concessions and asked for a retirement incentive in return. The City's total savings is 11% concession. More than they asked, buy they refuse to accept. Who is being unreasonable? The unions have tried tirelessly to think outside the box and come up with unique ways to save the city money, but their efforts have fallen on deaf ears. The city has cancelled the last few negotiating meetings with the police unions. The unions have remained willing to meet and try to hammer out a deal.
It's time for the citizens of Flint to quit drinking the kool-aid and started researching the facts. Walling is a liar. He has lied from day one and continues to lie on a daily basis. It is him and his administration that continues to shuck and jive the constituents. Wake up Flint!!
Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:08 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I've known for some time that he's a liar. I also believe that rewarding his cronies is more important to him than the safety of the citizens. I'd really like to know what the unions, UAW, etc., that supported him for election think of him now.

Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:23 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

FLINT (WJRT) -- (11/30/10) -- Layoff notices have gone out to members of the Flint Police Department.

Flint police officers are calling it a sign that concession talks with the city may be over.

Keith Speer heads the police officers union and says it wasn't at all surprising. Speer says he received a call from an assistant in the city Human Resources Department earlier today, saying if the union had no new offers the city was calling off scheduled talks for Tuesday.

Speer said he had nothing new and was waiting for the city's response.

Just hours later, department leaders began to pass out layoff notices at the police department.

A couple layoff notices went out during the 2:45 roll call and more were given out at 3:45.

All in all, we're told 20 police layoff notices will be given out or sent out today. One of those who received the notice told us it is effective December 17.

Just hours before the notices were handed out to police Flint Mayor Dayne Walling was at the North Side Mini Station updating residents on the status of the city's finances and crime-fighting efforts. At that time, he told ABC 12 that he was still optimistic they could come up with a concession agreement with police unions.

But Speer said the union won't be pressured back to table with layoff notices. "We're not bending. We've offered viable concessions, more than they asked for," he said. "We're not going to be played with. They're running around like a dog chasing their tails."

"Sometimes I don't think they know what they're doing half the time. The other half, I don't think they care. We've offered the cuts they need and they want, and we still keep getting laid off. I think that was the plan all along. All he cares about is getting that $20 million bond one way or another. I think layoffs are the easiest way to do it."

Walling contends the union has not offered enough concessions to make the savings needed to balance Flint's budget. He said earlier today he is still willing to talk.

The clock is now ticking on a two-and-a-half-week deadline to see if anyone budges.

(Copyright ©2010 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:47 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Firefighters say no to concessions
Firefighters union president hopes for no layoffs

Angela Brown
More: Bio, E-mail, News Team
FLINT (WJRT) -- (12/01/10) -- Flint police began to receive layoff notices Tuesday, and firefighters wonder if they'll be next.

Last night, the firefighters union voted down a new contract 69-40 after having reached a tentative agreement with the city.

Mayor Dayne Walling said in November that he needed concessions from the unions or up to 50 people could be laid off, with the bulk of the layoffs coming from public safety.

Neither side is talking right now. Flint Firefighters Union President Raul Garcia said they plan to go back to the bargaining table next Wednesday.

Long before the final votes were counted, most believed a no vote was pretty much assured.

"I thought it was a long shot, but I thought there is only one way to find out," Garcia said.

Garcia said union members wanted a guarantee from the city there would be no layoffs in the third year of the contract if they approved the concessions. "If they're not willing to make a guarantee, then why are we even doing this?" Garcia questioned.

"This, unfortunately, means we have to look at other kinds of service adjustments within the fire department, and we'll have to pursue that," Walling said.

Walling said he couldn't make that promise in this economic climate.

The union hopes to avoid layoffs per the federally-funded SAFER grant, which requires a certain staffing level in the department to keep millions of federal dollars. The city has already spent millions from the grant, but may have to pay that money back if firefighters are laid off.

Walling said he's still looking at getting a waiver due to financial distress. "I think folks who are seeing this as some type of game are missing the point. This is serious business. We have a serious budget problem."

The city says it needs about 10 percent in concessions from its departments to close a $5 million gap.

Tuesday afternoon, 20 layoff notices went out in the police department. The layoffs take effect in about two weeks.

If fire layoff notices are issued, it will be two weeks before they take effect.

Garcia says even with talks scheduled, pink slips could go out to firefighters."I hope we don't get any, and I don't think we will."

(Copyright ©2010 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
Post Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:50 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: