FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: The Don is the man!! I just seen him on TV 12 !LOL
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

He just told the union to shove it and he is restructuring the police force to put 49 cops on the street with not cost to the tax payers starting Sunday!

To top it off, he said any officers that do not like the changes Delphi is hiring at 12 bucks an hour!!

Way to go Don!!

Post Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

The final ballots were being cast in a "no confidence" vote for Flint's Interim Police Chief Gary Hagler Thursday night and the only man who can remove him from office was talking.

The votes will be tallied starting at midnight. Close to 175 officers with the Flint Police Officers Union are being asked if Hagler is fit to lead them.

The union claims since Hagler has been in charge, he's treated the officers unfairly, fired people for the wrong reasons, and has made racially based decisions.

Hagler denies the allegations.

If a majority of the officers vote they do not have confidence in Hagler, it's essentially a strong message for change.

But the decision about what to do with that message and what comes next for Hagler and the Flint Police Department is up to Flint's mayor.

And Mayor Don Williamson says he has big plans. He wants to restructure the department starting this Sunday.

The mayor outlined the changes. Williamson says he wants more officers on the street and more 911 calls responded to, so he's making wholesale changes to the way Flint police operate.

To stem Flint's rising crime rate, Williamson says he has to make changes.

"When City Council turned me down to add police officers, I asked, 'How can we attack crime in the city? Where am I gonna get the manpower?'" he said.

His solution is a radial restructuring of the department that would put an extra 49 police officers on the streets.

"All police cars -- this is key -- would be one-man cars to catch up on 911 calls," he said.

The city would do away with the FANG narcotics officers, require half of all sergeants, captains and lieutenants to be put back on the streets and eliminate police dogs.

"The sheriff has two, State Police has 100. We don't need them," Williamson said.

Williamson wants a satellite tracking system on all police cars and a regular audit of how officers are spending their time.

While some of the 26 changes mandated by the mayor may go over like a lead balloon with the union, Williamson says he doesn't care.

"The union contract should be cancelled now," he said.

Williamson says the restructuring will make Flint safer.

"Adjusting the workforce so we can come up with another 49 police officers without costing taxpayers a dime," Williamson said.

If police officers don't like it?

"I hear Delphi is hiring at $12 an hour," Williamson said.

Williamson insists he doesn't need City Council approval for any of the changes.

"I can do this," he said.

Thursday's announcement appears to be the latest salvo in an ongoing war of words between the police union and the mayor. All 26 changes are set to go into effect this Sunday.

If you'd like to see the full list or the interview with the mayor and the plan, click here.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=4610482

Post Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

So my question is this, if he can put 49 more cops on the streets by restructuring the department, why has it taken so long to do it. I know that the union presented the admin with the proposal to do this some time ago.

Also, if all of this can take place, why did he bring a proposal to hire 50 new cops at a cost of millions of dollars to the taxpayers? What was the need if he could accomplish the same thing by a simple restructuring?
Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:31 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

The only thing I really didn't like is completely getting rid of the police dogs. I don't see why we can't keep at least one and maybe two. Most of the proposals seem to make sense. I believe the mayor is right about our FANG Unit. We might as well have FANG officers taking 911 calls because there is not enough jail space.

Josh does have a good point though. Why did we have to wait to pursue these measures? I've heard the tracking feature is already in the police vehicles it is just not used.
Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:50 am 
Laura

Retired Police Officer Gary Hartley offered to be the Police Chief, and be paid only $1 per year. He is retired from the police department, so he wouldn not need a pension, or health care. After 12 months if people think he is doing good, he would continue.. If not he would move on.

He was responsible for Cleaning up the Carriage Towne area back inthe late 90's. Taking it from the highest crime rate in the City to the lowest. He walked on foot, did sweeps of the neighborhood. He also had other COPS move to the area, and buy property. It sure did help out a ton, he saved that area.

Like when there isn't a lot of officers on the street, driving unused police vehicles in the morning to various spots in the city. Dropping the car off, and leaving to work in other areas. Then the drug dealers, prostitutes, murders won't know where the cop is. Sometimes he may be walking around, or sometimes not.

He has great ideas to clean up Flint, and get rid of the crime. I think he would be perfect. My husband and I think he is a good guy, who cares about the City of Flint. Why not giving him a chance??
Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:33 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Josh Freeman schreef:
So my question is this, if he can put 49 more cops on the streets by restructuring the department, why has it taken so long to do it. I know that the union presented the admin with the proposal to do this some time ago.

Also, if all of this can take place, why did he bring a proposal to hire 50 new cops at a cost of millions of dollars to the taxpayers? What was the need if he could accomplish the same thing by a simple restructuring?

Exactly, I responded to this at http://www.cityofflint.net/ted's_view.htm

He could have been a HERO a long time ago! Instead of Playing games!

I don't get Adam's Meaning
quote:
We might as well have FANG officers taking 911 calls because there is not enough jail space.

Fang, 911 and Jail Space? Tea in china?

Jail space is the only major thing the Mayor is lacking in this plan. were are we going to put these criminals? Cleaning up the Police departments image can only go so far! You still have to arrest and prosecute these criminals.

I think it's silly to not have drug dogs available for drug busts or not have officers from Flint involved in FANG. But, mostly I don't understand getting rid of the Police Dogs. I know a lot of punks that have been searched by police and let go with felony level amounts of drugs on them because officers didn't find the drugs. A Drug dog would have found that stuff in a heart beat. had Flint been using them properly.

Much of the problems are that we don't have the ability. only we don't use th resources wisely! Namely, Having drug dogs on hand at drug busts. Or having 12 officers at housing commission meetings were there is no preception of needing or making an arrest. Or even the last council meeting. Why did we need 5 police officers in uniform at the meeting when we had almost 40 sitting in the audience at the meeting? Did they think our police force was going to riot? C'Mon!! That was the safest place in Flint to be that night. Not only forty officers off duty. But we had five officers on duty there! This is why I have reservations about this administration. The Mayor seems to Say One thing and do something completely different. He doesn't seem to know how to implement and maintain his own ideas or programs. Even when they are great ideas! What is really scary is how people seem to really like his dumb ones! LOL
Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Phil

I know Gary Hartley, and he has the support of most of the Police Officers!
Including the Afro American Group
Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:35 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Probably becuase, It seems that people willing to work for a BUCK screw the city and get away with it! Just becuase somehow they are above reporach because they only make a BUCK!
Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
john

Gary Hartley is a good citizen. He cleaned up Flint while working at the Police Department. He arrested people for Open Intoxication, pissing in public, walking down the middle of the street, littering, loitering etc..

Gary Hartley believes the small crimes in urban areas, then turn into big crimes if left to fester.
Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:37 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
john schreef:
Gary Hartley is a good citizen. He cleaned up Flint while working at the Police Department. He arrested people for Open Intoxication, pissing in public, walking down the middle of the street, littering, loitering etc..

Gary Hartley believes the small crimes in urban areas, then turn into big crimes if left to fester.

Excellent concept. I agree whole heartedly. However, Why isn't he out preaching that? Letting people know that there are others that belive this will help the City? I'm sure he's a geat guy!

So how about showing it to the rest of US!
Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:25 pm 
Richardd

That who we need in there, I called and talked to him today! He says call your council person, and mayor to tell them to put Gary in there.

You can talk to him to, he said he doesn't mind (810) 845-5114. This guy has tons of ideas!
Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:41 pm 
TRB

quote:
Laura schreef:
Retired Police Officer Gary Hartley offered to be the Police Chief, and be paid only $1 per year. He is retired from the police department, so he wouldn not need a pension, or health care. After 12 months if people think he is doing good, he would continue.. If not he would move on.

He was responsible for Cleaning up the Carriage Towne area back inthe late 90's. Taking it from the highest crime rate in the City to the lowest. He walked on foot, did sweeps of the neighborhood. He also had other COPS move to the area, and buy property. It sure did help out a ton, he saved that area.

Like when there isn't a lot of officers on the street, driving unused police vehicles in the morning to various spots in the city. Dropping the car off, and leaving to work in other areas. Then the drug dealers, prostitutes, murders won't know where the cop is. Sometimes he may be walking around, or sometimes not.

He has great ideas to clean up Flint, and get rid of the crime. I think he would be perfect. My husband and I think he is a good guy, who cares about the City of Flint. Why not giving him a chance??

Gary Hartley is a cops cop. A good citizen, he cared for his community and will be a success in what ever he does. If there is a vacancy to be filled for Flint police chief , I do not know there is, he has my support.
Terry Bankert
10/1/60
Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:53 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Well, I don't get it?

Why isn't anyone talking about bring back Chief Barksdale? He already has a proven record in Flint. Using the Flint police Department with the least number of officers ever. And still showed a considerable drop in Crime in Flint!

I'm not a gambling man. but, when you have a proven leader. A proven System, a Proven Police Chief. i wouldn't gamble on anything else. This is why I don't understand this Mayor? Why would you fire someone already doing a great job? Only to prove that you don't have a clue as to what your doing?

Gary might just be the greatest Chief ever. However, he's never been chief has he? He have proven success at our finger tips. He still lives in the City! I'm told Hagler doesn't even live in flint... Is that true? This may have been a great idea if Chief Barksdale had been retiring. Then maybe bringing in a new chief. Are we sure Don doesn't run GM too? Only GM will close it's number one plant in the world the same year it receives the Award. Only Mayor Williamson will fire successful people in order to prove he can do it. Then lie about the results of his leadership. "Major crime has been reduced"

I don't like making things more difficult than they have to be. Why not just bring back Barksdale? We already know he can bring down crime in Flint! Under his leadership we already know that he lowered crime with less manpower. The Mayor never had a "Low Manpower" police department! Chief Barksdale did. And he still brought crime down!
Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:45 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Common Sense. (my 5 minute speech from sept 25th)

In 2002 Police Manpower level was 277. Flint was under the State Takeover. Crime was really reduced 10.57 percent.
In 2003 Police Manpower level was 238 under Flint was under the State takeover. Crime Was down again another 15.3 Percent
In 2004 Police Manpower level was 249 (hiring 11 more officers). June 2004 the Mayor Fires Chief Barksdale and Declares himself to be the city’s Police Chief. Crime Jumps UP 17 Percent
In 2005 Police Manpower level was (249 – 259) Mayor still attempting to run police department from his cell phone and crime goes up another 12 percent.

In 2006 Police Manpower level was 267 The Jury is still out.

By looking at the numbers. If Flint continues to hire more officers Crime will continue to increase. Sound ridiculous? Sure, but it’s been proven, that under the Mayor’s leadership. Police will not be allowed to fight crime and he will have them chasing Eric Mays around Flint investigating political threats and pulling them off 911 calls to harass his political opponents.
Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:50 pm 
John W.

Hagler is a dork, williamson thinks the black officers want a black cheif. They just want a good chief. Plain and simple...

I say put Gary Hartley in there, get NATION WIDE PUBLICITY, let him do the things that need to be done. Officers respect him, and know him. Gary Hagler has always been a paper pusher, Gary Hartley has been on the streets, walking, driving, on foot.

He has proven his skills by cleaning up parts of Downtown and Carriage Towne area.
Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:00 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: