FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Walling now screwing over retired City Workers - Health Care

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Mayor Walling, his wife and kids enjoy some of the best health care money can buy. But some retired City of Flint workers are finding out that they no longer have health care. A 60 year old man went to the emergency room because of chest pains only to find out that he no longer has health insurance. Walling has been sending letters out to thousands of retired workers and if they don't reply then they get canceled. A meeting is planned for later this week with Attorney Pabst to talk about a possible lawsuit.

Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
J HUNTINGWORTH TUNE
F L I N T O I D

Let me guess.The Mayor canceled a Flint Retiree's bc/bs because he didn't respond to a letter.This could be expensive.
Post Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:31 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Odds are Donna Poplar was involved in this fiasco as she now also has control over the retirement office, She is said to have replaced an employee in that department so she would have the funds for a secretary. Deidre Pitts did her own typing.

When she first started at GCCAA (before the scandal involvong Joubran precipitated a name change to GCARD) she issued many ridiculous memos and policies. A memo issued one day would be changed within 2 days. She transferred Steve Walker to headquarter and the nonsense ended.
Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:29 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

URGE met today and they are taking on the fight. Even people who responded got their health insurance cut.
Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:39 pm 
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

URGE Meet at the mall
Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
J HUNTINGWORTH TUNE
F L I N T O I D

V.If any retiree was wrongfuly deprived of his insurance benefit,the potential for liability will be sigificant.The longer the problem exists the bigger it becomes.Could be very expensive.
Post Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:16 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Cathy Shafran
More: Bio, E-mail, News Team
FLINT (WJRT) -- (10/22/10)--There is outrage and threats of lawsuits as many city of Flint retirees learn their health care coverage is being terminated.

Letters making the termination official started coming in the mail this week, and that is what is sparking the outrage.

It is the city's latest attempt to reduce expenses in what are called "legacy" costs. The city says it's just trying to "achieve cost savings through the coordination of health coverage."

But for retirees receiving health insurance termination letters, it means much more.

"It means they're going to terminate me and I don't have any insurance. My wife won't have any for sure," said Joe Howart.

Ironically, Howart says it was a cost-cutting move by the Stanely administration back in 1994 that led to his current situation. In an attempt to cut costs, they offered early retirements to older workers.

"They offered us a monthly pension and our health insurance," he said.

As far as Howart understood, he and his wife were covered until he reached 65.

Eleven years ago, he picked up part-time work at the MTA Your Ride to make ends meet, but he opted out of the MTA health coverage because it wouldn't include his wife.

She has serious health issues.

Then, in September, Howart, like other city retiree, received a letter that started asking if they had other "available" health care options.

The letter said: "'Send it back,' and if you didn't, your health insurance would be terminated," Howart said.

So Howart sent his back, honestly answering "yes" he had health care available from another source, but that he had opted out.

Howart, it turns out, is one of dozens who have shared their health care termination notices with a group called United Retired Governmental Employees, or URGE.

URGE officials say their lawyer will be filing a temporary injunction request next week, trying to block the termination.

URGE claims the city is violating the contract with retirees.

(Copyright ©2010 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Post Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:37 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

City Council today- Scott Kincaid was right on when he told the administration they were violating both policy and contractual obligations with their actions. They have demanded that Donna Poplar attend the next meeting.
Post Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:28 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

If it's just a simple miscommunication, as some of the denizens of city hall claim, why is Pete Bade the one speaking for them? Did the Dane & Donna show stumble, or something?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Council demanded Donna be present at the next council meeting.
Post Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:15 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

Bet you a Mocha Nut Fudge coffee she doesn't show up.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:57 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
yaryrret
F L I N T O I D

The trouble with America is that there are far too many wide-open spaces surrounded by teeth.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:48 pm 
Jane4566
F L I N T O I D

Am I understanding this correctly? If the letters were not responded to by the retirees whom they were sent to, the health care coverage was dropped without notification?

Has there been any resolution to this issue?
Post Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:00 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Did she appear?

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

Post Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:06 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: