FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Mc cabe determined to have overtime for leaf collection?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Freeman lead the charge twice when Mc Cabe gave council his planned leaf collection that had lots of overtime. Told to cut back, the department changed tactics. In past years they based leaf collection on the types of trees in parts of the city as some trees shed their leaves sooner.

This year they started in the Fairfield area and the trees had barely started to drop. Some parts of the North end have bare trees and are ready for pick up. The crews did sucha sloppy job picking up leaves and only ran the street sweeper down the middle of the street that residents are burning up the wires calling City hall to complain. The drivers said they would be back the next day.

The city did not publish maps this year detailing leaf collection and this confused many residents. Although there were signs placed on the street, residents searched the news for details.

Meanwhile, I almost got by two street sweepers going the wrong way on Court Street in the early afternoon. I glanced up just before I pulled out onto Court and had to stop quickly. Very narrow escape.
Post Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:19 pm 
Cornbread Maxwell
F L I N T O I D

The fact that the city still wastes our tax $ on leaf pickup is nothing short of absurd. Why do we still offer this service? Make the residents bag their lawn waste like every other municipality in the area. This has always seemed like a no-brainer to me. What am I not seeing?
Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:04 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
The city did not publish maps this year detailing leaf collection and this confused many residents. Although there were signs placed on the street, residents searched the news for details.
Leaf pickup news release October 27, 2010 includes link to map at this site:

http://www.cityofflint.com/news/newsreleasedetail.asp?ID=157
Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:33 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Am I the only one that misses the smell of burning leaves in the fall?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:51 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Leaf pickup news release October 27, 2010 includes link to map at this site:

http://www.cityofflint.com/news/newsreleasedetail.asp?ID=157

I know of no one that saw this in the journal where it is usually published. My area is always the second week of collection, What about those without computers? I certainly don't check the city website on a regular basis.
Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:48 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The leaf crews returned to Fairfield today where they were bombarded by angry residents. One actually said they "didn't like the Mayor" and they"did not do dead end streets".

In the past the crews worked with maps based on the predominant trees in a neighborhood. The maples in my area, except the darker maples, are done dropping the leaves. It is hard to manuever the streets with so many leaves in the street. In Fairfield the leaves are just dropping. The leaf crews even bypassed the bagged leaves.
Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:01 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

IMO those responsible property owners and tenants will bag or mulch leaves and lawn clippings to prevent them from being blown around and clogging sewer drains and making a general mess in the streets.

Responsible property caretakers keep up their yards as the leaves fall. They don't wait for a formal announcement in the newspaper, or online, for loose curbside pickup. Bagged compost has been picked up over the summer and still will be throughout the leaf pickup period. Acquaintances, neighbors, neighborhood watch groups who care can pass the word about what they know. Our neighborhood watch newsletter asked everyone to pick up their leaves and empty trash bins before the Halloween weekend.

Pride in property care and maintenance helps to prevent blight, folks. And saves the energy of complaining when you know what the end result will be.
Post Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:30 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The city did not take 22 bags of leaves from 9th street. All of the mansions had their leaves bagged(all that had fallen). The fallen leaves were 3 times more the day after the pickup.

These citizens raked their leaves to the street. An earlier than usual pickup in the scheme of things means not all of the leaves have fallen. The maple leaves fall before the type of trees in their neighborhood. Snow flurries predicted for today may mean we have snow before the leaves are picked up.

The responsible homeowners in my neighborhood have made a trsffic accident waiting to happen. These streets are normally picked up early in the rotation. The leaves and branches are so high only one car can get down some of the streets at a time. And no one has any idea when this will end. Our maple trees were very prolific this year. Winona street is a nightmare.

There are indications some workers are deliberately trying to make the administration loo bad because they are used to the overtime. Mc Cabe should know how the schedules are planned.

Sorry but their leaves did not fall byy Halloween. Warmer than normal temps have altered things. Pickup is usually in October.
Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:31 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
IMO those responsible property owners and tenants will bag or mulch leaves and lawn clippings to prevent them from being blown around and clogging sewer drains and making a general mess in the streets.

Responsible property caretakers keep up their yards as the leaves fall. They don't wait for a formal announcement in the newspaper, or online, for loose curbside pickup. Bagged compost has been picked up over the summer and still will be throughout the leaf pickup period. Acquaintances, neighbors, neighborhood watch groups who care can pass the word about what they know. Our neighborhood watch newsletter asked everyone to pick up their leaves and empty trash bins before the Halloween weekend.

Pride in property care and maintenance helps to prevent blight, folks. And saves the energy of complaining when you know what the end result will be.

On another planet, perhaps. Here in the hood, some people don't even bother to rake the leaves into the street for pickup, let alone bag them. And, don't get me started on sidewalk shoveling in the winter!

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:49 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

A new way to pick up leaves/ The city has no signs up but they are picking up leaves in the middle of the side streets where they were piled up over 4 feet high. They leave about 2 feet to 3 feet on either side.
Many Court street residents were angered after being told they must rake leaves a certain distance away from the curbs as the city wouldn;t be using the blowers this year. Imagine one residents anger when she saw crews on Philadelphia Strret using the blowers to take leaves off the curb. Bet a worker lived near there. That is like the time I saw a worker plow snow on his side street while he was cleaning out a community center parking lot!
Post Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:20 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: