FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: the McIntoshs talk about their son and David Leyton

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

According to the McIntoshs, after the family had been virtually tricked into agreeing to the deal, Leyton failed to ever bring charges against the other two accomplices.
Adam McIntosh was a Master Mechanic who enjoyed working on his 83 Camaro. He enjoyed going to cruises and the drag strips to proudly show off his sweet car. His nickname in the racing community was Opie. He was murdered in Flint at a car cruise.

http://www.flinttalkradio.com/?q=node/1022

Post Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

My heart goes out to Deb and her family. It is criminal that this has happened and I wish I knew what we could do to help. Thank you for sharing this!

Post Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Elias12
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
My heart goes out to Deb and her family. It is criminal that this has happened and I wish I knew what we could do to help. Thank you for sharing this!

Ryan, perhaps the best thing any of us can do is to make sure that the people we hire to be the AG of the state ( and also the same goes for the people we put in as our Prosecutors) do the best job they can and seek the stiffest penalties allowable under the law. And from what I have seen , Mr. Leyton IS NOT that person. I have no idea what sort of AG Mr. Shutte will be, but we do have some indication of what Mr. Leyton's is. And I don't care of Mr. Leyton is a "local boy who did good",his good is not good enough .

Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:09 pm 
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Leyton can't be trusted.
Post Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I just saw the commercial with deb McIntosh and it was truly very moving and very damming to Leyton. Powerful ad!
Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:48 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

From today's Detroit News - sounds like the Pierson Hood case isn't going well.

Laura Berman
Disputed case big baggage for Leyton

Republican-sponsored TV commercials slam David Leyton, the Democrat running for attorney general, as "soft on crime, hard on families." But the controversy Leyton, the Genesee County prosecutor, has inspired in Flint's legal community is less about him going soft on crime than going large on ambition.

Leyton mounted one of the largest prosecutions in Flint history, after a 2007 federal and local investigation into a wave of Flint killings.

In a massive sweep, Leyton's office charged 46 people that year in what became known as the Pierson Hood case. The accused were charged with everything from dogfighting and drug dealing to murder; other charges — including racketeering and terrorism — are unusual in county prosecutions.

But the huge local headlines and expectations vanished as the case devolved into what defense lawyers describe as an expensive and mismanaged prosecution that's created headaches for Leyton — including a federal civil rights lawsuit — and uncertain outcomes.

Three years later, at least five of the alleged gang killers remain in jail, awaiting trial.

Leyton points to success in the case, including convictions of 41 of 46 defendants.

"I'm proud of the Pierson Hood case," he says.

Patrick Kirby, a Flint defense lawyer whose client is among five still in jail awaiting trial, counters that it's "the most expensive prosecution in 20 years," taxing resources without dispensing credible justice.

"What they have to show for it are plea deals for murder cases that have been withdrawn and a few drug convictions," Kirby says.

Costs aren't known for the prosecution, but the unusual aspects of the cases include: A witness named Latasha Adams — whose boyfriend was charged with murder — was jailed for 12 days while she was seven months' pregnant, because she refused to testify.

"They brought her in the courtroom in chains," says Kirby, who was in court representing a different client that day.

"It was one of the worst things I've ever seen in 37 years as a lawyer."

Adams is now suing Leyton and assistant prosecutor Karen Hanson for civil rights violations.

The case is pending in the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.

The state Attorney Grievance Commission has dismissed a complaint against Hanson.

Leyton used the novel approach of linking a string of cases under "continuing criminal enterprise" charges that automatically carry a 20-year sentence. That strategy backfired, some lawyers contend, when defendants were so eager to testify against each other that their credibility deteriorated.

"It was like the Wild West, last man standing. Everyone wanted to testify against everyone else," says David Grant, the lawyer for Samuel L. Wood, an accused murderer and arsonist.

The conspiracy charges also created problems of scale at one point, when a crowd of defendants and court-appointed lawyers — 17 defendants to start — piled into one courtroom for a nine-week preliminary examination.

At the same time as his Republican opponent, Bill Schuette, trotted out an aggrieved Genesee County mother, Deb McIntosh, to vent about Leyton, the prosecutor quietly filed new charges against defendants who had earlier taken plea deals. (The Michigan Republican Party aired a new commercial featuring McIntosh on Wednesday.)

Leyton on Friday announced that Wood and three others were being charged with murder in a 2005 fire-bombing case. That's politically convenient for Leyton, but potentially disastrous for cases that relied on their earlier or future testimony.

Defense lawyers say they're licking their chops, looking at stacks of documents with conflicting testimony, wondering if already cut plea deals will be ripe for appeal.

Leyton bristles at the suggestion that politics played any role, saying, "This was based on new information brought to us."

If Leyton is disappointed by the mixed success of the prosecution against the Pierson Hood crowd,

he's not letting on.

"Flint is a tough town," he says stoically. "This is not child's play."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20101014/OPINION03/10140410/1024/POLITICS03/Disputed-case-big-baggage-for-Leyton#ixzz12NSbP7VA

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
oneofus
F L I N T O I D

Police, father of murder victim condemn smear ad against Leyton
FLINT — The father of a murder victim joined police today in rebuking a political smear ad against attorney general candidate David Leyton.

The Michigan Republican Party has launched a television ad attacking Leyton, who has tried 20,000 cases with a 95 percent conviction rate as Genesee County prosecutor. The ad misstates facts about the tragic 2006 murder of Adam McIntosh of Grand Blanc.

“The claims made in the Michigan Republican Party’s advertisement are simply untrue,” said Flint police Captain T.P. Johnson. “We thoroughly investigated the homicide, leaving no stone left unturned. The killer confessed to the crime and he has been sentenced.”

Johnson continued, “We were so concerned about the case that we asked the State Police to review it. They are in agreement with us that nothing more can be done.”

The Rev. Kevelin Jones, a Flint resident whose daughter was raped and murdered in 2005, said: “I know firsthand how difficult it is to lose a child in the worst way imaginable. When my daughter was viciously raped and murdered, David Leyton stood up for us when no one else would. David Leyton prosecuted the case to the fullest and made sure justice was swift and severe. He spent countless hours with me and my family and tried to make life as easy as possible for us during that difficult time. David Leyton has been tough, independent and fair as Genesee County prosecutor, and he will carry those same values to the attorney general’s office.”

“Michigan needs a prosecutor like David Leyton for attorney general, not a politician like Bill Schuette, who has never been a prosecutor, has never tried a single case and has never stared down a murderer in a courtroom,” Jones said.

Leyton campaign spokesman Todd Cook said: “The Michigan Republican Party’s ad is just another attempt to distract voters from Bill Schuette’s record as a soft-on-crime judge who sided with sexual predators and let murderers go free based on technicalities. He overruled another judge’s decision and reduced the sentence of a man who had been found guilty of sexually abusing his teenage granddaughter. Schuette even ruled against a woman who was raped by her supervisor at her workplace. Clearly, Schuette can’t run on his record as a career politicians and soft-on-crime judge, so he and his cohorts are instead relying on attacks, smears and outright lies.”

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Thursday, Oct. 14, 2010
Post Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:32 am 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

According to the McIntoshs, after the family had been virtually tricked into agreeing to the deal, Leyton failed to ever bring charges against the other two accomplices.
Adam McIntosh was a Master Mechanic who enjoyed working on his 83 Camaro. He enjoyed going to cruises and the drag strips to proudly show off his sweet car. His nickname in the racing community was Opie. He was murdered in Flint at a car cruise.

http://www.flinttalkradio.com/?q=node/1022

Post Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:09 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Steve lets presume that case could have resulted in additional prosecutions that may have resulted in not guilty verdicts. We have a distraught family member distraught over her feeling of loss of son and loss of justice. We have a cops prosecutor with many achievements that the argument is he may have faltered. You on a grass roots level gave her a forum to express her concerns as did the Flint Journal. great. The Schutte Campaign decides to exploit this one issue, Thats politics.

Now add changes in the campaign finance laws. Unknown national shadowy sources can now channel millions into local races. Thats happening here. The ads are highly polished and effective. They could very well put Schutte in the AG office. We lose for reasons not debated here.

You and John have done a service by giving this family a forum.

The use of soft money will be the norm in the future.

The issue the family argues pales with his achievments, the political use will have an impact greater than it deserves.

In the end we are all pawns.

Last edited by terrybankert on Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
terrybankert schreef:
Steve lets presume that case could have resulted in additional prosecutions that may have resulted in not guilty verdicts. We have a distraught family member distraught over her feeling of loss of son and loss of justice. We have a cops prosecutor with many achievements that the argument is he may have faltered. You on a grass roots level gave her a forum to express her concerns as did the Flint Journal. great. The Schutte Campaign decides to exploit this one issue, Thats politics.

Now add changes in the campaign finance laws. Unknow national shadowy sources can now channel millions into local races. Thats happening here. The ads are highly polished and effective. They could very well put Schutte in the AG office. We lose for reasons not debated here.

You and John have done a service by giving this family a forum.

The use of soft money will be the norm in the future.

The issue the family argues pales with his achievments, the political use will have an impact greater than it deserves.

In the end we are all pawns.

I find myself in agreement with you on a part of this Mr. Bankert. However is there any truth to the often quoted line" they can't manipulate you if you know you are being manipulated' ?
Post Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:57 pm 
oneofus
F L I N T O I D

In 2008 the people spoke loud and clear by passing MMJ at a 2-1 margin. Every single county said yes. This is not just a "law" or an "act", this is an amendment to the constitution of Michigan.

In 2010, it is possible that the same people may elect a career politician to Attorney General who will push for the prosecution of MMJ patients and caregivers who are currently exercising their constitutional rights.

Think about that. Think about what is going to happen. Think of the lives ruined and the tax dollars wasted. For what?

The man will pursue that route is Bill Schuette, the exploiter of a grieving mother.

Quit playing politics with our law enforcement, Steven Myers, and vote Leyton.
Post Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:42 am 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
oneofus schreef:
In 2008 the people spoke loud and clear by passing MMJ at a 2-1 margin. Every single county said yes. This is not just a "law" or an "act", this is an amendment to the constitution of Michigan.

In 2010, it is possible that the same people may elect a career politician to Attorney General who will push for the prosecution of MMJ patients and caregivers who are currently exercising their constitutional rights.

Think about that. Think about what is going to happen. Think of the lives ruined and the tax dollars wasted. For what?

The man will pursue that route is Bill Schuette, the exploiter of a grieving mother.

Quit playing politics with our law enforcement, Steven Myers, and vote Leyton.

How would you know how to Steve or anyone else would vote? Schuette is not stellar, Leyton is not even good. Why are you singling out Mr. Meyers? He is a decent person who has started a forum here for EVERYONE to voice their concerns, ideas, opinions and seldom interjects his opinions so I am puzzled to as why you are trying to influence his vote? You may think Leyton is a cheerleader for the Medical Marijuana movement but his track record bears out that he can not be counted on , so why invest so much time and energy to helping him out? I too voted for the marijuana law , I too also done some ground work to see this law goes unhindered by career politicans to better their grip on the lawmaking . I always have argued that we , the people, should be more involved in the law making process and was glad to see that citizen started movement gain momentum and eventually passed in law. In reality during a debate Leton stated he voted AGAINST that becoming a law. So I suspect his recent his "conversion" to the cause is motivated mainly out of trying to get monies from people in order to further his bid to become the next AG. He will ,possibly, stay on course with his new found commitment to the cause , I never try to say what he or anyone else will do, I am not a mind reader. I am skeptical of his motivations though, as anyone should be who values where they pledge their support to. At least Schuette we know is not for the law that we the people passed, we can watch him on this. Leyton is not upfront, he seems shady and hard to predict. I don't like Schuette, I don't like Leyton. How about stopping the process and seeing if we can get two different candidates ? Slim chance of that happening, right?
Post Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:34 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: