FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Police at 180?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

According to http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-39/1158848403129450.xml&coll=5&thispage=2

Flint only has about 180 officers which is 50 less than before the financial emergency.

In new York city there should be about 1 officer per every 230 people. In Flint it's about one officer per every 700.
Post Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:40 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Somebody is Lying Somewhere! I cannot say where I was when I verified it information. Because the FOIA’d information seemed unbelievable. I had to have a city official request the information. So Here is the Deal! Either the Mayor is Lying, The Chief's secretary is Lying, Joe Conroy is Lying Or the Chief is Lying.

The information I have is only three weeks old! So unless the Mayor just fired 50 officers in three weeks someone is lying!

I just wish someone would tell the truth downtown! I’ve FOIA’d the city for the real numbers the City has even said that the number of Officers is at the Budgeted level! You can check it out on my website!

Also Adam, What’s your point about the Ratio of Officers to Citizens in New York? How many millions of people a day do we have coming into the city of Flint on a daily basis to work? To sight see? To go to any one of the over 200 Off-off-Broadway Plays are performed in small theaters, lofts, clubs or church halls scattered around Flint? Or Visit any one of the over 60 National Monuments or historic places in Flint? You say that as if you have a Point to make? Please make it!

Let’s look at this logically! If the City’s budget allows for 256 Officers in the Police Department. What Permission, Or what approval, is needed for the Mayor to go out and hire the necessary officers to fill the Budget, if the real number is 180 officers? Let’s use some commonsense here! If we are down 76 Police Officers in the City of Flint? WHOSE FAULT IS IT!!!! And what additional funds are needed in order to Hire only 50 new officers? Where is all the rest of the money in the Budget going for Payroll???? Hmmmm

I’m going to have to look into whether I can Sue the City for lying in FOIA requests. Of course we all know how reliable the Flint Journal is with it’s facts. I’m betting they are only counting Patrol Officers. I checked Friday. This is just plain an out and out lie! We currently do not have less officers than we did under the takeover. If we do? The Mayor has been firing more than he has been hiring!
Post Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
mark

Yeah we do, when the city went into recievership, I'm pretty sure about 5o cops were layed off and the jail was closed because of budget problems.
Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:11 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I'm heavily biased because Rudy Giuliani who is the only mayor I am aware of to make a dramatic reduction in crime seemed to think adding police was a key step to his dramatic turnaround. I have a hard time arguing with what has been proven successful.

If you look at Amherst http://www.theamherstrecord.com/policereports which is one of the safest cities you can see what little their officers do all day. This increases response times. The busier police are the more likely you are to have to wait. From what I have hear Flint police are actually busy for the most part. You should buy a scanner and listen.

For the budget question did you look at the budget for the city of Flint? It seems like Flint uses a "special" budget that is different than any accounting or budgeting that I am familiar with. It reminds me of when Darnell Early who is now up in Saginaw was pushing a police millage and could not even tell how many police it would bring. I wouldn't be surprised if police officers are even specifically budgeted for. I bet the money just goes into the police department.
Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:54 pm 
mark

Adam just go on the site and look at the budget to see how many officers are budgeted for, its that simple to do.
Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:08 pm 
Mark

Also ted the city is at the budgeted level or 1-5 near it , but thats police officers, this dosn;t include sergants, lietenants and so forth, so no one is lying, ur just confused.
Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:55 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

The city website is a lot different and many times better and way more detailed than the stuff the public was given for the hearing on the budget. Looking at page 32 on http://www.cityofflint.com/BudgetMgt/summaries.pdf It seems like we should have more sargants budgeted since they are the ones investigating complaints. Maybe we should just promote Police officers to Sergants and replace the promoted officers?

I definately stand corrected. The stuff on http://www.cityofflint.com/BudgetMgt/budget2.asp is very impressive. I wish I had had this kind of information at the public hearing.
Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:32 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

hey maybe one of you "techies' can answer this...why does the official web site have a ".com" domain and not a .gov or even a .org domain name?

Its not because our mayor was/is a business man is it?

Seems strange to me.

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:57 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Mark schreef:
Also ted the city is at the budgeted level or 1-5 near it , but thats police officers, this dosn;t include sergants, lietenants and so forth, so no one is lying, ur just confused.

Mark i'm not confused. I knew that. I was trying to get Adam to think. I have that stuff all listed and broken down on my website and I'm pretty sure he's seen it.

I have that broken down at http://www.cityofflint.net/broke_down_stats.htm
Also

The bottom line is. When are these calls that are not being responded to happening. And when are the majority of officers ON DUTY!

If We don't have enough Police you have to ask.. How come the mayor can have 12 officers at a housing commission meeting, or why was he able to get officers to city hall to illegally arrest a journal paper carrier, or why citizens calls from early in the morning when their garage was broken into yet the mayor can get 3 police cars to respond in less than five minutes to Brenan Center for such a serious crime as LEAGALLY soliciting signatures for the Mayor's recall! The problem is not enough police! It's so obvious that I don't understand why I have to keep repeating it? Two main reasons.

1st. Police manpower is not being utilized to it's needed potential. Three police cars responding to a fender scratch on main street at 10:00am 5 hour wait at 11:00PM when a drunk driver runs into your house and car. Obviously not staffing officers on the shifts that they are needed on.

2nd. Even if Flint had 1000 police officers on duty every shift. They couldn't do anything more with a thousand than they can do with 200. WHY? There is no place to put the criminal even if they wanted to arrest them. This is the current state this city has been in. how many examples do we need? 33 arrests for drunken driving and they didn't arrest the guy again? police taking breaking and entering "SUSPECTS" to their house after making them return the goods they've stolen... allowing a kid to beat the crap out of a security guard at central then firing the officer later when the punk returns after promising not to..

Do I need to continue or are we getting the point? There is no room at the County Holiday Inn! (County Jail). Also, just opening the jail would the same effect as hiring more officers. (except for the officers that will abuse the system again so they don't have to do anything for most of the shift.) Opening the City jail will help in the short term. (ONE of THE MAYOR's CAMPAIGN PROMISES). But the jail will still fill up pretty quickly. We need a more permanent solution. If the City jail was opened today. I'm bet my paycheck it'd be filled within two weeks. That would only scratch the surface. Then we’d be right back were we where before.

We need to discourage crime! We need to punish criminals instead of giving them free healthcare, three hots and a cot, TV privileges, extended probation for violating probation, double dare probation, etc.

There needs to be some justice in our justice system! There needs to be accountability for Criminals to repay their victims. Jail needs to be a place they don’t want to have to go back to. I thought the Sheriff in Arizona had the right idea. http://www.apache-hard-side-tent-trailer.info/maricopa-county-tent-city.php Bologna sandwiches, Peanut Butter and Jelly, growing their own food. I’m betting he don’t get too many repeat offenders. Or they leave there and go somewhere like Flint were they don’t have to worry about getting arrested.
Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
mark

So u are saying with 50 more cop tahoes, which are far more better than the impalas I might add after hearing the adavantages were on the streets, hookers, druggies, store robbers, would think twice. Your telling me, if two tahoes were strolling down lewis street it wouldnt think hookers and crackheads think twice? A more visual/visible police force would do much.
Post Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:23 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
mark schreef:
So u are saying with 50 more cop tahoes, which are far more better than the impalas I might add after hearing the adavantages were on the streets, hookers, druggies, store robbers, would think twice. Your telling me, if two tahoes were strolling down lewis street it wouldnt think hookers and crackheads think twice? A more visual/visible police force would do much.

I'm going to attempt to decipher what your trying to say.

Tahoes score lower on every safety and performance test except acceleration when compared to Impalas. This is an unbeatable fact. I don't say it. The test results say it!

Will more presence cause crime to decline? In the short term Yes. In the long term Not a chance. I'd bet in less than 6 months. Without having a place to put these criminals they will become even more bold and defiant once they've learned there is nothing the Police can do to them. So why encourage them to become bolder than they already are. They already break into houses and cars and leave visible finger prints. Pawn the stolen items at the pawn shops und their own names. Even go door to door in the neighborhood they stole the goods to sell them to the victims neighbors. How much more bold do you want them to get?

Just following this ridiculous logic of “More officers equal less crime.” According to the City of Flint’s numbers. That idea is a complete hoax.

In 2002 Police Manpower level was 277. Flint was under the State Takeover. Crime was really reduced 10.57 percent.
In 2003 Police Manpower level was 238 under Flint was under the State takeover. Crime Was down again another 15.3 Percent
In 2004 Police Manpower level was 249 (hiring 11 more officers). June 2004 the Mayor Fires Chief Barksdale and Declares himself to be the city’s Police Chief. Crime Jumps UP 17 Percent
In 2005 Police Manpower level was (249 – 259) Mayor still attempting to run police department from his cell phone and crime goes up another 12 percent.

In 2006 Police Manpower level was 267 and the Jury is still out.

By looking at the numbers. If Flint continues to hire more officers Crime will continue to increase. Sound ridiculous? Sure, but it’s been proven, that under the Mayor’s leadership. Police will not be allowed to fight crime and The Mayor will have them chasing Eric Mays around Flint investigating political threats and pulling them off 911 calls to harass his political opponents.
Post Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:54 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: