FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: The Winter of Our Occupation ...a proposal from Michael Moor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
ROUGH NOTES
I interviewed Attorney Lubkin at 10;50 pm 09/14/10.
Ryan, please go back and correct your post by adding the link where you copied it from. The interview was by Terry Bankert, not you.
Post Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:38 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Thanks! We were just passing it on! It was copied from my good friend Terry's page!

Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

How much of the taxpayers money is Walling wasting fighting this RECALL?

A recall is considered an election, so Walling must pay for his attorney. The city would pay for Inez Brown's attorney. Walling must report the source of his funding for his attorney even if it is in-kind.
Post Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:55 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Thanks for the clarification on that! Let's see if he reports it and what it states.

Post Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Congrats to Flint's very own Michael Moore!

Michael Moore to Receive the John Steinbeck Award

The family of John Steinbeck, the Nobel Prize-winning author of "The Grapes of Wrath" and other American classics, and the Center for Steinbeck Studies, have announced that they are giving their prestigious John Steinbeck Award to Michael Moore. They're making their official announcement today and I thought you'd like to see the statement they've released to the press. Steinbeck's son, Thomas, will present the award to Mike next month at a ceremony at San Jose State University (the public is invited to attend). Thomas Steinbeck had this to say this morning: "Michael Moore is a courageous man and a great selection for the John Steinbeck Award. My father would have loved him; my father was the Michael Moore of his time."

-- Webmaster, MichaelMoore.com

Post Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:40 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

[b]

Flint City Council rejects Kettering University's plan for more officers
Published: Monday, September 27, 2010, 9:06 PM Updated: Monday, September 27, 2010, 9:54 PM
David Harris | Flint Journal

FLINT, Michigan -- The Flint City Council on Monday rejected a plan for Kettering University to partially pay for five police officers to patrol the campus and surrounding area.

Kettering offered to pay for $65,000 per officer for five officers to patrol the campus and surrounding neighborhood. Kettering currently pays for two officers.

The officers would make a base salary of $76,000 including benefits, said Keith Speer, president of the Flint police officers union.

But council members who opposed the plan said the city simply does not have the money to pay for it.

"In my mind, I can't justify adding to that nearly $2 million deficit by supporting this," said Councilman Josh Freeman. "If you want to dedicate officers to a certain area, you need to look at paying for those officers entirely."

The three additional officers would have been called back from layoff, chief Alvern Lock said.

Stan Liberty, president of Kettering, said he was disappointed. Enrollment is down because of Flint's image and crime problems, Liberty said.

"The message I get from (city council) is they don't understand the value of Kettering University," he said. "They are looking at it from their own geo-political situation."

Liberty said he will look elsewhere to provide public safety for the community. He said he wasn't sure where he would look.

Council members Bernard Lawler, Sheldon Neeley, Bryant Nolden and Michael Sarginson voted for the measure, while Josh Freeman, Scott Kincaid, Jackie Poplar and Dale Weighill voted against it.

Council president Delrico Loyd was absent. It failed because there was no majority

"This is a good opportunity for the city of Flint," said Councilman Sheldon Neeley, who represents the ward where Kettering is. "We have a problem with safety and community. More officers in the community is better than less officers in the community."

Susan Burhans, president of the Mott Park Neighborhood Association, said the officers are needed.

"The No. 1 priority (of the association) is public safety, and this supports public safety," she said. "We need to send a clear message that we care about the students that are going to Kettering."

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/09/flint_city_council_rejects_ket.html[/b]

Post Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:25 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Get involved in the discussion at:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Flint-MI/The-Ryan-Eashoo-Show/191049222784?v=wall&story_fbid=105849279479313

Post Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:57 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Get involved in the discussion here

Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

And, where would tyhe money come from???
Also, I have a feeling that rather than hiring new officers, existing ones would simply be reassigned, leaving the rest of the city with even less coverage.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:42 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Neeley proposed a transfer of funds from a line item set up during the budget process and never used for alternate housing for prisoners.
Chief said he would hire back 3 officers, but in talks with the mayor, council said they were told officers would be reassigned.
We may now lose 2 officers paid for by Kettering but available for priority 1 calls.
Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:47 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Mc Cabe from transportation was there asking for general fund money to pay for overtime costs for road repairs that being contemplated. Human Relations needed money for 312 arbitration expenses.DCED is over budget by about $74,000 and they have made no attempt to amend that situation .

The police department is over their projected budget expenditures because of the lack of officers and the need to use overtime to supplement this shortage with overtime. Find an alternate method of reporting nonviolent crime and let the officers remaining to real police work. When officers start their shit as much as 30 calls behind, they cannot be proactive. also citizens stop reporting crime and we don't get accurate crime stats.

Josh Freeman is proposing a budget review when the Setember figures are ready (quarterly instead of mid term) because he is concerned about the projected deficit and the overspending in multiple departments. he was extremely critical of transportation asking for more money and told them to cut back on the number o roads and stay within their budget.
Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:54 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

I agree with Josh Freeman, they need to keep a close, ever watchful eye on the budget. And to start making cuts where necessary. Also, Kettering should hire its own security as other institutions have done.
Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:49 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Were doing that too.. I am promoting this site and my facebook site.
Trying to cross market.

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:
Get involved in the discussion here

Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:54 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Flint taxpayers likely will pay for $8M Genesee Towers judgment in December, officials say

Published: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 4:58 PM Updated: Tuesday, September 28, 2010, 6:33 PM
Kristin Longley | Flint Journal

FLINT, Michigan -- A special tax to pay for the $8-million Genesee Towers judgment against the city could be on Flint residents' tax bills this December, city officials said today.

The Michigan Supreme Court today declined to reconsider its decision not to hear the city of Flint's appeal of the Genesee Towers case, which upholds a previous decision that the city has to pay the building's owners more than $6 million plus interest, Flint Mayor Dayne Walling said.

Share 18 Comments The ruling likely means the city of Flint will be court-ordered to put a special assessment on the December tax roll to pay for the legal judgment, City Attorney Peter Bade said. It also means the city of Flint would own the Genesee Towers building.

Finance Director Michael Townsend said the one-time special assessment would cost the average homeowner $150.

Walling said the legal department exhausted every avenue for appealing the decision against the city.

"No stone has been left unturned," Walling said. "It is very unfortunate these long-standing legal problems have hung over the city year after year."

Walling said the judgment is the result of a mistake by former Mayor Don Williamson's administration.

"Don Williamson decided to take this building and now all of us are going to have to pay," he said.

Williamson could not immediately be reached for comment this evening.

Bade said the city should know in the next week or so whether or not the courts will force the city to put a special assessment on the tax rolls.

The case dates to 2004, when the city condemned the 19-story building in downtown Flint.

The city and the building’s owners agreed to enter into arbitration over the property and its worth in 2006.

The arbitrator’s decision in 2007 awarded the building's owners -- V. Kumar and Sasikala Vemulapalli -- more than $6 million, including legal fees, but reduced by the cost of repairs, according to court documents.

Kumar Vemulapalli could not immediately be reached for comment.

City officials appealed the case, arguing the arbitrator exceeded his scope of authority in reaching the decision. The case was appealed multiple times, until the Court of Appeals ruled in December that there was no error in the arbitration award.

The Michigan Supreme Court refused to hear the city’s appeal of that ruling in June.

The talk of a special assessment for Genesee Towers comes as city officials discuss the possibility of a tax increase to help pay for public safety. Walling has said he would like to hear from residents on whether they would pay more taxes to help the cash-strapped city pay for police.

City wants study of Towers' integrity

THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION

Thursday, February 12, 2004

By Christofer Machniak
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

QUICK FACTS
About Genesee Towers

Completed in 1968, the 19-story structure includes 172,000 square feet of office space and a parking garage. When completed, it was the state's tallest building outside Detroit.

Flint - Genesee County's tallest building could be one step closer to destruction.

Emergency financial manager Ed Kurtz authorized paying up to $40,000 to hire a Kalamazoo structural engineering company to examine the parking garage of Genesee Towers, 120 E. First St.

Some say the study could give the city enough evidence to condemn the 19-story building. City officials say the study helps them defend a lawsuit by V. Kumar and Sasikala Vemulapalli, the building's owners, who allege discrimination and a city conspiracy to take control of it.

Attorney Barry Wolf, defending the city against the lawsuit, said the city wants the study to determine whether the parking structure was properly repaired. The city first cited V. Kumar Vemulapalli in 2001 for several building code violations, including problems with the parking structure. Wolf also said Vemulapalli's lawsuit has no merit.

"The city has no idea whether the work was done properly," Wolf said.

But Vemulapalli said a structural engineer already has found the building to be safe.

"We want to open the building," he said. "They're playing games. They don't want me to open the building."

A remaining violation over problems with the building's exterior keeps Vemulapalli from leasing office space. Currently, the building's only occupants are Vemulapalli and an assistant who have to supply their own heat.

Vemulapalli said he hopes to fix the exterior later this year. A court date on the violation is set for next month, he said. The other violations have been dismissed, court records show.

The exterior worries 7th Ward Councilman Matt Schlinker, who represents the area. He said he's seen chunks of concrete from the facade on the sidewalk.

"What I see when I stand down there looking at this building scares me," Schlinker said. "The city administration cannot ignore a potential public health hazard like that."

But Second Ward Councilman Ed Taylor accused Kurtz and downtown business interests, including the Mott Foundation, of trying to run Vemulapalli out of town. He wondered why the city wasn't going after other apparent problem buildings in the downtown area, such as the Durant Hotel and Clark School.

"It's a waste of money by the city," Taylor said. "They are targeting and redlining Kumar. Anything that they can do to take this building from this man, that's what they're going to do. "

A spokeswoman with the Mott Foundation, which owns and is headquartered in the building next door, did not return a phone call Wednesday seeking comment.

Kurtz, who approved hiring Carl Walker Inc., the structural engineering firm, said the city is performing its duty to get the building fixed or razed. An appraisal hasn't been done yet.

"I certainly don't think that great big building in downtown Flint sitting empty is contributing to the development of downtown," Kurtz said.

The Vemulapallis filed their lawsuit suit early last year, one of two now pending in county circuit court before Judge Geoffrey L. Neithercut. A hearing over whether to dismiss the case is scheduled in March and a possible trial in May.

The second lawsuit is over the city's refusal to grant a state Renaissance Zone designation that would exempt state and local taxes. The couple received the designation before, but the city claims they are ineligible, saying they own property in Flint with back taxes.

The Vemulapallis counter they gave the properties away years ago to local nonprofits. Without the designation, the couple owes more than $183,000 in taxes in 2003. A similar amount is owed from 2002.

The property is worth $7.2 million, according to the city's records. The couple purchased it at an auction in 1997 for $500,000. Vemulapalli said he's since put $3 million to $4 million in repairs.

Christofer Machniak covers Flint city government. He can be reached at (810) 766-6304 or cmachniak@flintjournal.com.

Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:06 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

So now we own it, lets get it back on the city tax rolls!!!

Post Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:15 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: