FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: The Winter of Our Occupation ...a proposal from Michael Moor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Today, THE FACVB says Mr. Preston is no longer with the organization. How can a select few fire the President without full board approval?

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Re-read the published article you posted. "The president of the Flint Area Convention & Visitors Bureau has been fired from the organization pending a vote by the board of directors, officials said Friday. * * * Jerry Preston, who has led the organization for 15 years, was put on unpaid administrative leave Thursday while a contract settlement is negotiated, board Chairman Michael J. Thorp said. * * * Thorp said the board’s executive committee came to the decision unanimously and the full board is expected to vote on the matter Jan. 10."

If you really want to get involved, ask to read their bylaws and the pertinent documents and contracts.
Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:14 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Appause for the Flint City Council for standing up against Walling & Co.

Flint City Council denies 6-mill public safety tax proposal

The Flint City Council tonight declined to consider putting a 6-mill public safety tax before voters in May.

The six-year tax was proposed by Flint Mayor Dayne Walling to pay for public safety services, including police, fire and the city jail.

The city laid off 20 police officers Friday for budget reasons.

Many council members said the city needs to find another way to fund public safety services that doesn't involve a property tax increase.

"The people in my district cannot afford it," Councilman Delrico Loyd said. "The seniors and low-income families can't afford these increases."

The council was unanimously opposed to moving forward on the proposal at its committee meeting tonight.

Walling had asked the council to put the tax on the May 3 ballot for voters to vote yes or no on it.

"This resolution does not authorize the increase -- this resolution gives our voters the opportunity to go to the polls," Walling told council members. "I believe our residents want to see us move forward with this."

Councilwoman Jackie Poplar said she doesn't support the 6-mill proposal, but would support putting a 4-mill public safety tax before voters.

"These people need to step up to the plate and determine what they want," Poplar said of city voters. "It's time for the citizens of the city of Flint to step up, not a handful."

Some council members said they would support an income tax increase, which would take a change in state law. Others suggested various changes to the public safety tax that would need to be made before they would again consider it.

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:28 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

This is a blackmail tactic. Walling says we have the best public safety we can afford. Problem with this millage is my understanding that the current COPs millage expires next year and Walling attached the increases to the COPS millage. does this mean we could lose up to 16 more officers?
Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:34 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Wouldn't it be up to the council to put the COPS renewal on the ballot?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I believe it has to initially come from the administration. It also has to be approved by the state before it can be put on the ballot.
Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:42 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

I don't have a COPS millage on my property taxes. I have a Neighborhood Police, 2 mills, on my tax statement. COPS stands for something else within the police department, doesn't it?
Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:17 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Walling is a bully and elitist. His administration now has sank to an all time low. He doesn't have a clue how to run a city, it's almost as if he is delusional about the cities issues.

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
This is a blackmail tactic. Walling says we have the best public safety we can afford. Problem with this millage is my understanding that the current COPs millage expires next year and Walling attached the increases to the COPS millage. does this mean we could lose up to 16 more officers?

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:04 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Seriously how much money will raising the income tax for non residents? It seems like smoke and mirrors to me. It's almost as if Walling is trying to appease the people by doing this. You don't have many businesses left in the city, so you wanna scare more of them out of here??? Raising taxes is a bad thing in a recession.

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
I believe it has to initially come from the administration. It also has to be approved by the state before it can be put on the ballot.

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:05 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
Seriously how much money will raising the income tax for non residents? It seems like smoke and mirrors to me. It's almost as if Walling is trying to appease the people by doing this. You don't have many businesses left in the city, so you wanna scare more of them out of here??? Raising taxes is a bad thing in a recession.
Ryan, can you reword your question? One dollar for every $100 earned (without exemption) is a minute sum for income tax, $2.00 for every $100 wouldn't hurt anyone who actually works in this city. Non-residents use the roads and city services while they're here. What we have left in the city are many tenants, seniors on fixed income, people living off the state/federal programs, and fewer and fewer property owners to pay property taxes. Why should property owners be left to foot the bill for everyone else who doesn't pay property taxes? The city should also stop giving such large tax breaks to businesses and creating more renaissance zones where people don't pay property taxes. Hey, Ryan, how much property do you have to pay tax on to the City of Flint? Do you even pay a city income tax?
Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:31 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Sure. They are talking about raising the income tax for non residents. Is that really going to raise enough money to make a dent in the problem?

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
Ryan, can you reword your question? One dollar for every $100 earned (without exemption) is a minute sum for income tax, $2.00 for every $100 wouldn't hurt anyone who actually works in this city. Non-residents use the roads and city services while they're here. What we have left in the city are many tenants, seniors on fixed income, people living off the state/federal programs, and fewer and fewer property owners to pay property taxes. Why should property owners be left to foot the bill for everyone else who doesn't pay property taxes? The city should also stop giving such large tax breaks to businesses and creating more renaissance zones where people don't pay property taxes. Hey, Ryan, how much property do you have to pay tax on to the City of Flint? Do you even pay a city income tax?

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:36 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

We use to have cops that were dedicated to certain areas. Those cops knew the residents,businesses and trouble makers. They looked over the areas and had pride in those areas. They had time to walk the neighborhoods, go to meetings and put extra efforts into problem areas or houses.

It's a shame we have lost that and that only makes the crime problem worse.

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
I don't have a COPS millage on my property taxes. I have a Neighborhood Police, 2 mills, on my tax statement. COPS stands for something else within the police department, doesn't it?

Post Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:38 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Today's question is:

Dayne Walling A Smart Man 0r ____________? ( you fill in the blank )

Post Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:18 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
00SL2 schreef:

COPS is our community or neighborhood police
Post Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:13 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

So how many COPS officers are there in the city of Flint?

Post Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:41 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: