FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: How many tax increases can they bring?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

On the Ballot already:
A new 4 mill for Flint Schools
Renewal and increase for the libraries
Renewal for the MTA

The only one i am supporting is the MTA-people need a way to get to work.

“We’re putting over 70 percent of the general fund into the public safety departments and every other area is stripped down as far as possible,” he said.

I would dispute this figure as we have a number of grants, SAFER, JAG etc paying for a portion of public safety and we pay a millage for Community Policing.

I would ask whether all of the Mayor's recent hires, especially in DCED, are all grant funded. Jordan claims to be permanent. Why weren't laid off staff given the opportunity to fill the positions internally before going public with the application process. They were filled internally before. have any of these people been tested as this was prior practice and HUD gave input into the writing of the tests.

HOW MANY MORE POLITICAL HIRINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN?

Flint Councilman Dale Weighill believes discussion of possible tax increase to fund police is needed after violent week
Published: Friday, July 30, 2010, 11:00 PM
Laura Misjak | The Flint Journal
Follow Share this story
Story tools
FLINT, Michigan — If residents want more police on the streets, they may have to pay extra.

“We need a frank conversation about revenue,” said City Council Vice President Dale Weighill. “I think it’s unlikely we’re going to get grants to hire back 30, 40 or 50 police officers. The way we do that is raise taxes.”

The city, which has had 34 homicides this year, laid off 46 police officers in March.

No formal proposal has been brought to the Council, but Weighill believes a property tax increase is warranted. City Councilman Sheldon Neeley previously suggested the city should increase income tax.

The decision on whether residents will be asked to pay more could be decided, in part, by the upcoming primary election.

Both Weighill and Mayor Dayne Walling said they’ll be watching the outcome of Tuesday’s ballot — when Flint residents will decide on a 4-mill sinking fund for Flint schools, a 0.4-mill tax renewal for the Mass Transportation Authority and a 1.4-mill partial renewal and partial increase for Flint Public Library.

“After we see those results, then we’ll know more about how the public is seeing this balance between seeing more taxes or getting less service,” Walling said. “I’m open minded about ways to increase the city’s revenues and funds available for public safety.”

The property tax idea would require a vote before voters.

A 3.83 millage increase would have to be approved to bring back all 46 officers in one year, said City Councilman Scott Kincaid, who said the city should exhaust all other options before looking at any type of tax increase.

The millage would raise about $4.6 million — $100,000 for each officer to be brought back, which includes salary and benefits, he said.

Flint Journal file photoDayne Walling

Walling said the city could bring back 10 officers immediately if its police unions agreed to double-digit concessions. Police union officials could not be reached for comment.

“We’re putting over 70 percent of the general fund into the public safety departments and every other area is stripped down as far as possible,” he said.

Since the layoffs, the city brought back the 23 firefighters after getting a $6.7 million federal grant to fund their positions.

Flint resident Daniel Williams, 64, said he would be willing to pitch in a little extra to feel safer in the city.

“It depends on how much,” he said. “(Crime) seems to be getting worse, so I’d pay some. But not too much.”

Neeley said ultimately he believes there are other ways to find revenue before resorting to a tax — including reopening the city impound lot and going after people with unpaid tickets.

But, if taxes must be raised, Neeley said an income tax hike would be more equitable.

“I don’t support any millage increases because they are tied to property and we have a lot of people on fixed incomes. If we overburden those individuals that don’t have a lot of disposable cash it won’t work,” he said. “I believe that people who live in the out-county area have to help support our public safety infrastructure.”

An income tax increase would need approval from the governor and state legislators.
Post Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:52 am 
yaryrret
F L I N T O I D

America's greatest strength, and its greatest weakness, is our belief in second chances, our belief that we can always start over, that things can be made better.
Post Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:41 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: