FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Is it illegal or just dirty?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Stephen James
F L I N T O I D

Again last night as we stepped out of our Flint DNA meeting we were approached by another petition hawker, this time in front of 5 witnesses from our group, the hawker started with....”Do you want to sign a petition to bring Flint firemen back to work?”.....Yet it was a petition to recall the Mayor. This has become more than just coincidence. This makes the fourth time I have personally been approached in this way. Have these folks been schooled on the language they are using or is this their own ploy to pad their sheets with "names for payment"? Either way, this unanswered question has place those behind the petition drive into a bad light.

I don’t have a dog in this fight, I’m not speaking on behalf of anyone else but myself and my pro-Flint agenda….. but…. The wasted energy in backing a negative position will always backfire on those behind it. Look, don’t back a negative, if you want to show leadership, back a positive and others will follow. Tell me something good you’re “doing” (not just supporting) and I will be drawn to the light of positive change. Go negative and it will cover you in darkness.

Heck, what are you all fighting for anyways? Political power over Flint? That’s like two adolescent teenage boys fighting over an ugly girl. Either way they both lose!

P.S. when I directed this question to Nick Singelis: “did you know or did you direct those petition hawkers to use those misleading opening sentences? His reply…. He booted me off his facebook page.

P.P.S. Yesterday, a young lady tested one of the petition hawkers while video recording the encounter. Bottom line: The hawker admitted that they we’re told by Dave Davenport what to say.

P.P.P.S. I hear they're hitting the 1st and 2nd wards today. Good luck!

Transcript:
Him: Are you a registered voter?
Me: Yeah, I am.
Him: Are you a citizen of Flint?
Me: Yeah, why? What's going on?
Him: This is a petition to bring back our police officers, fire fighters, and sanitation workers.
Me: Oh, okay. (I took the petition in hand) What is this?
Him: Oh, it's a recall petition on Mayor Walling.
Me: But you're saying this is to bring back police officers and fire fighters. You do realize that by recalling the Mayor you're not actually bringing back police officers and fire fighters, right? I mean, this seems to be what you're telling people.
Him: Yes, that's what I was told to say.
Me: Who told you to say this?
Him: David Davenport
Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
DELETED

DELETED
Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:07 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Stephen James schreef:
I don’t have a dog in this fight, I’m not speaking on behalf of anyone else but myself and my pro-Flint agenda….

Transcript:
Him: This is a petition to bring back our police officers, fire fighters, and sanitation workers.
Me: But you're saying this is to bring back police officers and fire fighters. You do realize that by recalling the Mayor you're not actually bringing back police officers and fire fighters, right? I mean, this seems to be what you're telling people.
Stephen, if you're not speaking for anyone but yourself why have you not credited the participants and source of the transcript you have quoted?
Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:27 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Stephen, what is the Flint DNA?
Post Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:28 pm 
Stephen James
F L I N T O I D

[quote="TheDonSupporter"]Stephen James ofcourse you support Walling because your wife is a Kildee. The Kildee family is a big good ole boy network in this town and you have to speak up for the mayor.[/quote]

Dear DonSupporter, Please be careful not to break your neck jumping to conclusion. Let’s get you up to speed so that you can make accusations about me with a semblance of intelligent.

First off. I just return to Flint after 26 years away and have no idea of the political climate here and frankly I don’t care. I live here and just want to be part of making things better. I have met Dayne Walling a couple of times at some grand opening in downtown Flint but have no real relationship or business with him. I do see that he has a tough job and I am pulling for him just as I would any of our Mayors.

Second, I made every effort to report the facts as best I could (as a good citizen should) without jumping to conclusions. I reminded everyone that those hawking the petition maybe using their own words and not the words of those behind the petition. It was not till I questioned those involved and those in charge of petition filing and through the on the street interview done with one of the hawkers that I as well as others found the names behind this inappropriate behavior.

Third, I have met Nick Singelis two times and on both occasions found him to be an intelligent, friendly, helpful person, I even attended a seminar on social media he produced and attended a Flint Chamber of Commerce meeting that he was involved with last winter.

Fourth: I have never met David Davenport (To my knowledge) and have no idea who he is, what he does or what he’s done.

Lastly, I am in love with a woman with the last name Kildee. She is her own woman as I am my own man. The Kildee family is full of loving, kind and honest people, just like I hope your family is. So dear donsupporter, if you have a bone to pick with me then be a person willing to address me and not include my actions or opinion as being subject to others approval just as I will not disparage you for the company you keep.

Oh and finally, if I ever catch you saying anything, I mean even kind words about the woman I love I will hunt you down like a dog and kick your teeth in. See, I don’t have a political bone in my body!
Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:07 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Stephen James
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Stephen, what is the Flint DNA?

See: Recall Fraud, you decide.
Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:08 am 
Stephen James
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
quote:
Stephen James schreef:
I don’t have a dog in this fight, I’m not speaking on behalf of anyone else but myself and my pro-Flint agenda….

Transcript:
Stephen, if you're not speaking for anyone but yourself why have you not credited the participants and source of the transcript you have quoted?

Dear OOSL2: See Recall fraud? You decide.
Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:10 am 
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

I remember some years ago when the Carry Concealed Pistol law in Michigan was in doubt.Petition gatherers were paid by an anti gun group to come to Flint ,and stand in front of tha main post office to aquire signitures.They would ask people leaving the post office if they were registered voters in the State of Michigan and if so would they sign a petition to help keep guns out of our schools.The petitions they held of course had nothing to do with schools but with the new gun law.I found their actions deceptive and reprehensible .
To be consistant,although I am for the recall of this Mayor, I find that any tactic of deception to aquire signitures reprehensible.
Mayor Walling has made numerous political enemies in Flint,and has disgruntled a large portion of ordinary voters , myself included.Flint is burning,decent people are struck by stray bullets here every week,in some parts of town you take your life in your hands just stepping outside.Graffitti is sprayed on churches and crack houses are within a stones throw of the empty Flint Central.If this isn't enough for a recall,let Walling stay.
Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:10 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

When that concealed carry law was in the making it sure exposed some idiot politicans, higher up law enforcement and local prosecutors with their moronic statements and predictions about the now very successful law.

Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:46 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The bottom line is it does not matter if paid signature collectors are deceptive-the person signing is responsible for reading what they sign. I have had deceitful petitions presented to me in the past, but after reading them I did not sign,
Post Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:03 am 
monlynn810
F L I N T O I D

It very much matters if petition canvassers are being deceptive!

Whether or not you agree with the petition, lying is a morally bankrupt thing to do, legal or not, plain and simple.

It's laughable the way some people will twist themselves into pretzels to support falsehoods by people they agree with.
Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:13 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
monlynn810 schreef:
It very much matters if petition canvassers are being deceptive!

Whether or not you agree with the petition, lying is a morally bankrupt thing to do, legal or not, plain and simple.

It's laughable the way some people will twist themselves into pretzels to support falsehoods by people they agree with.
On the other hand, think about some of the people who have circulated petitions without a political bone in their body, with no knowledge about politics or the issues at all, simply for the dollars the signatures they can obtain will bring. They likely will say what they are told to because they get paid to do it. Would being hungry make a person morally bankrupt just for saying what they've been paid to say? I'm not saying the ones circulating the petitions being discussed in this thread are being paid but it has occurred in the past.
Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:07 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
The bottom line is it does not matter if paid signature collectors are deceptive-the person signing is responsible for reading what they sign. I have had deceitful petitions presented to me in the past, but after reading them I did not sign,

The issue is whether the courts will act if the petition signatures are fraudulently obtained and previous ruling have indicated they won't. Morality doesn't seem to matter.

Tuesday Walling and Kincaid were meeting with a political consultant from Lansing to try to prevent the recalls.
Post Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:23 am 
DELETED

DELETED
Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:49 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

DonSupporter...maybe you should find another person to support..oy.

Stephen will tell you things that you don't want to hear...if you know what I mean...grin.

Anyway...I have only met Mr. JAMES a couple of times and he seems kosher, although I think he's agnostic.

Take what he says at face value...he says what he means..

Andi
Post Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:56 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: