FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Land Bank NOT doing what they say
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Got the land bank newsletter today. On the front page, they talk about their commitment to clean up abandon ed properties 7 sayL "Not just land bank owned properties, but all abandoned properties in Flint".

You couldn't prove it by me. On the West side of Chevrolet between Dayton & Hamilton are 2 abandoned houses and 3 empty lots in a row. One empty lot is owned by the land bank & has been mowed twice. The other 2 lots & the abandoned houses have not been mowed. They're only mowing the properties they own.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Dave , you don't really believe what those folks say do you?

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Flint Park
F L I N T O I D

But did you read the back side where, the land bank is now responsible for at least 25,000 properties, My guess is that it may take a while. By the way Dave, is your mower broken? How about you Ryan? Want to help or just criticize?
Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:47 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Ryan, no I don't believe what they say.

Flint Park, my 21" mower will not handle 3ft tall grass & weeds. Plus, if you read my original post, the lot they mowed is the middle one of the 5 in a row. they have mowed that lot twice, and ignored the abandoned and empty properties on either side of it. Drive down Chevrolet & see for yourself.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Flint Park
F L I N T O I D

well Dave you should have not let it get to 3 feet tall, as for them not catching the lot, i can tell you how hard it is to identify which lot is which and whose is whose, try doing clean and green for a season and you will see how hard it is. Lowe's is having a sale on riding mowers this week, in case you want to lend a hand.
Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:46 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint park- Why is the entire area near Dave his responsibility. You obviously have ties to the land bank or you are just an obnoxious punk. If dave did not cut his grass, he would be hit with a fine. The city used to cut these properties if the owner ignored the warning and assessed the fees to the property and the homeowner.

Now the Land bank is using city equipment, without paying the rental fees a city department would pay, and only mowing their properties. Now the city doesn't even mow all of their parks and other properties, such as medians. Plus Raynetta Speed of the land Bank said they are a month behind in their schedule.

Why should citizens pay parks millages and other assessments and not receive services. Citizens around the city are cleaning up parks and other properties. Now you want citizens to clean up everything else too. Maybe we should all move to communities which can still afford to maintain themselves.
Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:06 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

The newsletter clearly said ALL abandoned properties in Flint. So, there are 5 properties in a row, and only the middle one gets mowed? Last year some friends mowed 85 properties, land bank & not land bank. This year they're told to only mow land bank properties.

Riding mowers - I don't have 2 grand laying around; I'm just an old retired guy. BUT if someone's willing to GIVE me one free & clear, I'll buy the gas, take care of maintenance & mow the properties in my neighborhood the land bank won't.

Park reminds me of the "lady" land bank rep 3 years ago that sneeringly told me to do it myself when I asked about getting a couple land bank houses on Proctor mowed.

Webs - you mean the median at Hamilton & Milbourne where the unmowed grass caused an accident with an injury because the drivers couldn't see around it? It mysteriously got mowed that evening. A lousy job - they missed a lot - but at least you can see when you're at the intersection now.

Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:20 pm 
Flint Park
F L I N T O I D

Wow, i sign up and get all you snotty people, i can see why you just stay on here and ...
Ok so let me reply, yes it is Dave's responsibility to clean around his house. and yes i agree the Land Bank should be doing more but there are a lot of properties, and figuring out which on is a cluster. I am sure it is the same reason one house gets torn down and the one next to it comes a week later, just the way bureaucracies work, but it would be different if i were running it, but i am not.
I agree the city should be doing things through proper channels but as you know they do not. i agree the parks are a mess, but what is the solution?
And don't call me a punk, what do you do for this town other than ..?
I agree with you on most of what say but when things are not your way you just lash out at people, I would not call that constructive, let's have some solutions.
Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:20 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

I got tired of looking at unkempt corner lot where house was on the market for a long period of time and the grass was 2-3 feet high. Took a pile of compost bags and my 21" wide mower and set out to tackle the job. Rolled forward a few feet with front of mower lifted off the ground, then lowered it and moved backward, then went forward again. Sure, it's a slow process with a bagger, but with a little determination it works. Had to stop a dozen times to answer questions from passers-by, though, and a fellow with a commercial mower who said he couldn't let me cut the whole thing with my little mower finished the front and side yard in the time it took me to cut and bag just the parkway. That was almost 2 weeks ago; tonight a neighbor called to thank me and said we need to form a neighborhood group to take care of such properties.

If you think of vacant property as if it were a neglected child, what would you do? It takes a caring community to do what they can. They can ignore the situation and let it take its toll on the value of the entire neighborhood, or make calls to try and get help, or if all else fails, step in and do something about it.
Post Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:21 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

As you pointed out it is a difficult job to cut grass that has gotten very high.

Dave is president of his block club and he not only takes care of his block, he takes care of the median along Hamilton by his block. Now Flint park seems to think he needs to go blocks away and care for those blocks too. That is ridiculous. We don't need Park's self righteous indignation when he doesn't know the situation. A group of ladies along Chevrolet keep up the medians and the flowers. I am not going to ask those ladies to clean up the unmanaged homes a block away from them. Flint Park needs to organize clean up crews and scour the city if he believes citizens shuld pay taxes and then assume all of the functions of government.

The city has spent a great deal of time putting together a blight program, one that run the gamet from code enforcement to legal fines. Now, once again it has been dismantled. The state of Michigan about 2 years ago gave the city money for inspectors and stated they would not continue giving Flint MSHDA money if the city did not have the proper mechanisms in place for inspections and blight control.

Parks and Recreation are down to a skeleton crew. Despite a parks millage, parks are not being cut. Some citizen groups are cutting their smaller parks in their neighborhood. Perhaps Flint Park thinks citizens should tackle the parks that are 50 plus acres up to the hundreds of acres Broome park that has a protected wetland and many fallen trees littering the park.

The state allows Flint to collect a 3 millage garbage tax, perhaps we should take our garbage to the dump for the city too. Perhaps we should take on all of the city functions so Walling can piss away all of the revenue on his friends and mismanagement.
Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:22 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Quoting untanglingwebs: "...The state allows Flint to collect a 3 millage garbage tax, perhaps we should take our garbage to the dump for the city too."

Where is the city dump, and are residents permitted to use it? Fee?
Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:55 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Flint Park schreef:
Wow, i sign up and get all you snotty people, i can see why you just stay on here and ...
Ok so let me reply, yes it is Dave's responsibility to clean around his house. and yes i agree the Land Bank should be doing more but there are a lot of properties, and figuring out which on is a cluster. I am sure it is the same reason one house gets torn down and the one next to it comes a week later, just the way bureaucracies work, but it would be different if i were running it, but i am not.
I agree the city should be doing things through proper channels but as you know they do not. i agree the parks are a mess, but what is the solution?
And don't call me a punk, what do you do for this town other than ..?
I agree with you on most of what say but when things are not your way you just lash out at people, I would not call that constructive, let's have some solutions.

Park, I get the impression you are deliberately misconstruing what I've been saying. There are 5 abandoned properties in a row. The one in the middle is land bank owned and is the only one mowed. Their newsletter clearly states that they are mowing ALL abandoned properties. How hard is that to understand? I have talked to a person that's doing mowing for the land bank this year. He said they are told to ONLY mow the land bank properties. And yet, their newsletter says ALL properties. All you have to do to verify the mowing is drive down Chevrolet between Dayton & Hamilton and look at those 5 properties.

I'm not "lashing out" at anyone. I'm simply pointing out that the land bank is claiming they are mowing all abandoned properties when they in fact are not.

You ask what I do for this town? I bought enough paint to paint all the curbs on our block, between Dayton & Hamilton. I edge along the curbs, sidewalks & driveways, as long as the people that live there clean up after I edge. I supply paper yard waste bags to anyone on the block that needs them. I have supplied wood & concrete to a neighbor that was building a fence. I trim the hedge next door, because the person living there won't. I also mow their lawn when it gets high, again because they won't. I made window signs that read: "WE SEE, WE HEAR, WE CALL" for anyone on the block that wants one. In short, I do whatever I can to help make this block a better neighborhood. I'm not bragging, but you asked what I do.

Snotty people? I've been on the receiving end of snotty remarks from people connected to the land bank & the city more times than I can count. Most of them like yours: "Do it yourself".

Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:48 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:

Where is the city dump, and are residents permitted to use it? Fee?

1101 S. Saginaw

Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:50 am 
monlynn810
F L I N T O I D

It's entirely possible that if the one property was being mowed regularly before the land bank took on mowing all abandoned properties, the equipment brought to mow that one lawn was insufficient to mow the others, so they were left to be dealt with later.

Not sayin' that's awesome and cool or anything... An explanation as to why this happened on the part of the Land Bank would be helpful.
Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:59 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

The property was not mowed regularly. The mower used handled the tall grass & weeds without any problems.
Bottom line: they are only mowing land bank properties, regardless of what their newsletter says.

1. The properties on Chevrolet are right behind me - I see what they do.
2. On the street our son lives on, only the land bank properties are mowed.
3. A person mowing for the land bank told me they have been told to only mow land bank properties.

Post Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:29 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: