FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Downtown Biz

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Wood Ether

Am I the only one who thinks a Brazilian Steakhouse and Brewpub downtown are completely preposterous? Here's my list of businesses that could thrive downtown:
Late night greasy spoon, another dive bar, a small venue made for live music, gay bar, party store (seriously, and don't give me the bum magnet routine park a cop car or two nearby and you're set), drug store, small grocery, fast food franchise, late night pizza parlor, dollar store, hardware store, laundromat, shoe store, donut shop, thrift store, magazine/newstand, decent Chinese food, a few more small dive bars, a few decent clothes stores, dvd/video game rental and so on. By the way I'm not being sarcastic. These are businesses folks who live downtown would support. Brazilian Steakhouse or whatever cusine is trendy this (last) week?
Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:26 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

ditto your list! i might move 24 hour Drug store up the list and those can usually double for your party store as well [but would definately need the security of the FPD].

Especially if as you develop more people LIVING in the downtown area [especially students].

Who wants to drive to the 'burbs when the milk goes sour at 11pm?

By the way what the heck IS a BRAZILIAN steakhouse versus any other kind of steakhouse. It's still serving cooked cow/steer is it not?

What do you use?? pretty women dressed for the beach or carnival? Don't they do that at the joints on Dort already and call it a "Gentleman's Club"?

I always thought Argentina was the big beef producer in South America and might have a theme on serving beef?...can someone educate me ?????

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:13 pm 
Danno

I have to agree that it does seem strange that a brewpub and a brazilian steakhouse is opening downtown. Not that I won't go, I would love it. I'm especially interested in seeing what the brewpub has to offer. But the average Flint deweller probably can't afford to eat there. The student body downtown are mostly county people who immediately leave after class either to work or return to their suburban abodes. The county people won't come in any numbers because most are terrified of downtown Flint. I wonder just where these business's plan on getting their customers. Maybe if they just build it they will come. One can only hope. I'll believe it when I see it.
Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:37 am 
sue

quote:
Danno schreef:
I have to agree that it does seem strange that a brewpub and a brazilian steakhouse is opening downtown. Not that I won't go, I would love it. I'm especially interested in seeing what the brewpub has to offer. But the average Flint deweller probably can't afford to eat there. The student body downtown are mostly county people who immediately leave after class either to work or return to their suburban abodes. The county people won't come in any numbers because most are terrified of downtown Flint. I wonder just where these business's plan on getting their customers. Maybe if they just build it they will come. One can only hope. I'll believe it when I see it.

I dunno, there are about or atleast 1-2 thousand white collar workers downtown, I'm sure they could support businesses like tht once it is made more available to them, either going there for lunch or going there after work
Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:50 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

One of the highlights in Chicago is the cheesecake factory. Since we have the infamous cheesecake lady I wonder why she couldn't open a cheesecake store downtown.

I heard that the Mc Donald's store that closed downtown closed because they were a little under a million a year in sales. If the workers would have been a little faster or there had been last panhandlers to drive customers away I assume it would still be open.

I wouldn't be suprised if the Rally's at Robert and Saginaw St and the Church's chicken on North saginaw do about 2 million a year or more in sales.
Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:20 pm 
Danno

quote:
sue schreef:
I dunno, there are about or atleast 1-2 thousand white collar workers downtown, I'm sure they could support businesses like tht once it is made more available to them, either going there for lunch or going there after work

Maybe, I used to work downtown at Citizens and we would always moan and groan about the lack of places to eat down there. Churchills got old real quick. I know that sometimes after work the Loft and the Torch does get some of the after work crowd. Usually it's just a bunch of A-hole lawyers though. Strangely it doesn't seem like the UM-Flint students leave campus much during the day. They only seem to be down there after 10PM.
Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:41 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: