FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Walling lives in fantasy land about dealing with crime

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

walling told the media the Flint Police should get out of their "fantasyland" and accept concessions. Speers replied no one would risk their life for $8 hr. The new jobs Walling is creating for friends pay up to $75 k.

Granholm has to support Walling as she and the Democratic party tried to help him win against Williamson.

MSP Brought In To Help Subdue Flint Violence
Regular Flint Police Officers Support Move, Say It Isn't Long-Term Solution To Problems

POSTED: 3:07 pm EDT May 27, 2010
UPDATED: 6:48 pm EDT May 27, 2010

facebookdel.icio.usbuzzdiggreddit›› Email›› Print
FLINT, Mich. -- Another overnight shooting brings the total to 11 murders in the city of Flint in just the last month.

Now Gov. Jennifer Granholm has given the go-ahead to increase the state police presence in the city.

The decision comes as local officers take to the streets to protest cuts to their ranks.

And even if you don’t live in the city, your money is going towards making Flint’s streets safer.

The announcement of more state police in Flint follows a series of conference calls late Wednesday between the governor, the mayor, Michigan State Police Director Col. Eddie Washington Jr. and Flint Public Safety Director Alvern Lock.

"Public safety is our top priority, and we stand ready to assist our local partners to ensure that citizens are protected and remain safe," said Granholm said Thursday. "For that reason, we are honoring Mayor Walling's request that additional resources from the Michigan State Police be made available to the residents of Flint."

"We share the governor's commitment to public safety, and we are grateful to the Michigan State Police increasing their presence in our city," Walling said. "These are difficult budget times that have resulted in very difficult decisions, but with the assistance of the Michigan State Police, we can stem the tide of violence in our city."

Beginning Wednesday night, the MSP tripled its uniform presence in the city and will work with the Flint Police Department to ensure that there is a visible law enforcement presence in the city.

State police Lt. Rick Arnold said instead of one squad of five to seven troopers, three squads will be available.

The Michigan State Police has been actively involved in law enforcement within the city limits, where it has maintained a uniform and investigative presence for the past five years.

There has been no request for assistance from the Michigan National Guard, which the governor confirmed is not warranted or appropriate in this instance.

Meanwhile, regular Flint police officers said the supported the move to bring in state police, but said it wasn't a long-term solution to the city's problems.

"We've offered concessions,” said Flint Police Officers Union President Keith Speer. “He [Mayor Walling] needs to wake up from fantasy land and realize we're the lowest paid police officers in this country."

At least 94 former officers remain laid off. "The fastest way to get more Flint police officers on the street is for union leaders to wake up from fantasy land and agree to contract concessions," said Walling.

TV5 reporter Julie Banovic asked Speer what he thought about the Michigan State Police presence being ramped up using tax payer dollars.

“Oh, I'm sure citizens across the state are going to get like that,” said Speer. “They were getting like that with the fire department when they had to call in mutual aid. You can't expect a taxpayer from Grand Blanc Township to pay for your fire protection. You can't expect that."
E-mail news tips to WNEM TV5, or dial 989-758-2044
Copyright 2010 by WNEM.COM. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Post Thu May 27, 2010 8:01 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Has Walling actually been involved directly in negotiations with the police union or does he have someone else (Greg Eason or Donna Poplar) doing it for him? I don't believe he has what it takes to do that himself.
Post Thu May 27, 2010 8:46 pm 
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

Pathetic.I was once told that too much education focused on one small area can create tunnel vision.Very poor decision making may result.So true. Recall Walling.Save Flint.
Post Thu May 27, 2010 9:59 pm 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

The Murder Capital

The new slogan for Flint.
Post Thu May 27, 2010 10:17 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I saw the Channel 5 story again and I was struck by the vindictiveness of Walling (shades of Williamson) towards the Police Dept.
The implication of his statement is that police will not have as many layoffs if they take tremendous concessions.

There were no concessions made in the budget he presented to council. Increases in his office and $300k extra in community development. A high administrator budget and cuts to city clerk.
Post Fri May 28, 2010 6:47 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I have spoken to a number of people who disapproved of Channel 12's way of dealing with the story on the 11 pm news. Walling was not shown referencing "fantasy land" and Angie said he wanted concessions. Then Speers was shown speaking about Fantasy land.

People are getting the impression Channel 12 wants to "clean Walling up". The look on his face when he spoke on this issue said it all He does not respect the police and they are not important if he can not bend them to his will.
Post Sat May 29, 2010 6:33 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

The Dawn Jones effect?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat May 29, 2010 6:48 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

i see more and more hate for this man, why isn't a recall happening?
Post Sat May 29, 2010 11:47 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

A recall is a waste of time and energy. If the recall made the ballot it would not be until May 2011. The mayoral primary is in August and Walling would be eligible to run in the primary even if he were recalled in May. We would all be better served if we put our time and energy into finding a viable candidate for mayor and campaigning against Walling in the next election.
Post Sun May 30, 2010 2:34 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

After losing in a Circuit Court hearing to have their first language approved, new language was submitted and turned down. The twist this time is the recall group has hired Art Busch to represent them and they have been assured by Leyton that the language will be approved if some wording is changed .

Sadly leyton did not take a stand in the vote and abstained from fulfilling his responsibilities. He has not bothered to show up at the previous meeting. He did however veto Davenport's language.
Post Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:20 pm 
morebsfromwalling
F L I N T O I D

www.RecallWallingNOW.com
Post Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:47 am 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

Okay,, Walling is an idiot and all that. But from what line of distinguished "civic leaders " does anyone have in mind to tap for being Flint's next mayor? Eason? Can we afford that many potential lawsuits? The Clacks ? ( I paired then together because they seem to share the single half mind) . Delrico? Weighill ( though Dale does seem to at least handle talking to people) . Maybe we can do a show like AMERICAN IDOL and have several potential candidates engage in some sort of contest. Sounds outrageous but hell,has the traditional ballot seemed to be the way to go ? Think it over and get back to me.
Post Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:39 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Sad to say, all we usually seem to get for candidates are the same old tired political hacks looking for a paycheck.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Derrick1965 schreef:
The Murder Capital

The new slogan for Flint.

COME ON! At last we found something Flint can excel at and everyone is complaining about it. How about T-shirts and hats with "Bet Flint gangbangers can out bang your city's thugs" . Hell, have tours which highligt the more infamous scenes of mass murder ( a one Juice Williams comes to mind) . I say embrace the darkside Flintoids, it seems to be the one area the city is remarkably qualified at doing. Take pride that you all may soon be sailing past D.C. and Chicago. I say ride that donkey til it drops. Enjoy it while lasts though, like most things in Flint this too will pass.
Post Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:26 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: