FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: How can you sleep with gunshots all around?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 95, 96, 97  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

Flint had 9 homicides.and about 100 assaults (that were reported)in the last month.The Mayor and various " community leaders" want to stop the violence.They certainly do.They said so.Asking thugs to stop violence is a lttle like pissing into the wind.After doing so you need to take a shower and rethink your strategy.
The increase in Flint violence, since the police layoffs, is not surprising to anyone who has read this forum for the previous 30 days.It was anticipated,it was predicted.It will increase until we get a viable counterforce.The question now is ,how many bodies found in the front yard,how many people hit in the cross fire,how many lives cut short?
Post Tue May 25, 2010 7:39 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

A lot of people I know are talking about arming themselves and starting to shoot back. They know the police can't be everywhere at once, so they feel they have to protect themselves. It may help, or make things worse, but you really can't blame them.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue May 25, 2010 9:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

six shootings the night Walling announces his cease fire.
Post Tue May 25, 2010 1:23 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

On the 5 & 12 news at noon, they tried contacting Walling about the shootings, but he was unavailable. So was Dawn Jones.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Tue May 25, 2010 2:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Some say Walling was frantically coming up with a plan to counteract public criticism. There is a direct link to the Mayor's office from the Tuesday morning meetings in the north end.
Post Tue May 25, 2010 9:00 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Walling is a f***ing idiot! Link

( Walling says who needs the national guard we can use police to catch the flying bullets )
Post Tue May 25, 2010 10:45 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Crowfeeder schreef:
Flint had 9 homicides.and about 100 assaults (that were reported)in the last month.The Mayor and various " community leaders" want to stop the violence.They certainly do.They said so.Asking thugs to stop violence is a lttle like pissing into the wind.After doing so you need to take a shower and rethink your strategy.
The increase in Flint violence, since the police layoffs, is not surprising to anyone who has read this forum for the previous 30 days.It was anticipated,it was predicted.It will increase until we get a viable counterforce.The question now is ,how many bodies found in the front yard,how many people hit in the cross fire,how many lives cut short?

God! How the hell are community leaders going to stop the violence? Why don't we all "channel" good thoughts and get out our favorite crystals . What is needed is more cops! Obama, stop giving cities money for "green job czars" and let the cities use the money in more intelligent ways. Also, use some fed money to reopen a jail or two, hell, outfit an old building for that purpose. Flint does not need more candlight vigils and "forums" , that crap is cool if you have a civilzed people you are dealing with, but the punks doing the shooting aren't going to be all torn up by people singing hymns and hearing condemening speeches. Get real!
Post Tue May 25, 2010 11:03 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

OOOmmmmm OOmmmMMMmmmm OOOMMMMMmmmmmm Laughing

Post Wed May 26, 2010 7:17 am 
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

08:45 today ( 5-28-10 ) Shots fired into an occupied dwelling area of Dartmouth & Iriquois.Police looking for an Aztec (Auto)
Post Fri May 28, 2010 8:11 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Walling told channel 5 the situation could be resolved and fewer layoffs if the police got out of fantasy land and took those massive concessions he requested,

Speers polititely and correctly told Walling that his administration was the fantasy land and one of the lowest paid policing units wasn't going to take more concessions. Has anyone noticed how every cost saving measure Walling has implemented ends up costing us more in overtime and other costs.

Taxpayers statewide will be paying for these State Troopers to patrol Flint. With the state facing even greater deficits next year, how long will this last?

The state promised no revenue sharing cuts years ago, but they are happening. $2,7 million this year and an estimated $4 million next year. Look for things to get worse.
Post Fri May 28, 2010 8:29 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Walling was clueless and the Governor had to initiate the dialogue.

However, the governor clearly recognized the gravity of Flint’s situation, Walling said, calling the mayor Tuesday asking him to consider ways the state could assist. Granholm later authorized the extra troopers in a conference call Wednesday evening, he said.

Governor triples state police patrols in Flint as city sees 5th homicide in 6 days
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal
May 27, 2010, 6:14PM

The Associated PressFeb. 4, 2010 file photoFLINT, Michigan — It was an urgent call for help from the mayor of a city rocked by a recent tide of nearly daily killings.

Faced with yet another deadly shooting and calls for action from frightened residents, Flint Mayor Dayne Walling this week called on the governor for assistance with its escalating violent crime.

The response was swift.

Gov. Jennifer Granholm authorized the Michigan State Police to triple its patrols in Flint — making up to 24 troopers available — “to ensure that citizens are protected and remain safe,” she said in a statement.

The official announcement came Thursday morning, just hours after the city had its fifth homicide in six days — its 23rd killing so far this year.

“That cycle (of crime) has to be broken,” Walling said at a news conference. “Flint is not an island. We’re a community, and it takes all the different levels of government and leadership working together on this.”

Granholm dismissed a recent call from two former state representatives for a National Guard presence in Flint, saying that “is not warranted or appropriate in this instance,” city officials said in a statement.

However, the governor clearly recognized the gravity of Flint’s situation, Walling said, calling the mayor Tuesday asking him to consider ways the state could assist. Granholm later authorized the extra troopers in a conference call Wednesday evening, he said.

“The governor specifically asked the state police to begin that night,” he said. “At that point, we had had another homicide.”

The spike in killings also prompted Genesee County Sheriff Robert J. Pickell to mobilize deputy patrols in seven marked vehicles inside the city on Friday.

When the courts are closed on county furlough days, including Friday, Pickell said the deputies that are usually stationed at the courts will patrol Flint.

He’s also looking into getting federal grant dollars to house county inmates in other facilities in the state to free up space in the often overcrowded county jail.

“Our jail is simply too small for a county this size and the crime rate we have,” he said. “It’s frustrating to me and to the community.”

Lt. Rick Arnold, commander of the Flint state police post, said state police patrols will be tripled, ensuring a visible presence in Flint during peak crime hours and in high crime areas.

So, instead of the usual one squad of 5-8 troopers, the city will have three squads.

Despite the state’s own budget problems, Arnold said the state police is committed to assisting Flint police. The details had not yet been worked out, but Arnold said the agency will be looking at bringing in troopers from other posts.

“Certainly we have limited resources as well but we are still able to provide this additional service in a time of need like exists right now,” he said.

Troopers will be doing patrols only, and would only assist temporarily in responding to high priority emergencies if necessary, he said. They won’t take on any extra Flint investigations, he said.

“We have to ensure our patrols will be used in the most effective manner possible,” he said.

Flint police Chief Alvern Lock said the city will also maintain the additional Flint police patrols Walling authorized this week.

“We wouldn’t ask our partners to come in if we didn’t step up to the plate also,” he said.

A group of activists, laid-off police officers and residents rallied in front of City Hall on Thursday afternoon, calling for the city to bring back the 46 Flint police officers who have been laid off.

Flint resident Rene Rock, 58, who lives on the east side, said she supports Flint police, but she’ll take any help the city can get — National Guard, state police or otherwise.

“I’d join a neighborhood militia if they let me pack heat,” she said. “I want enforcement. I want a strong presence day and night.”

The news of the additional state police patrols came on the heels of a fatal shooting Thursday morning at Eastmount and Jewell drives on the northeast side of the city.

A man died after being shot multiple times in the head, police said, about 12 hours after the increased state police patrols went into effect.

The Rev. Curtis Baker, president of the Northeast Carpenter Road Neighborhood Association, lives about two blocks from the scene of the shooting and said he rarely sees police in the area.

“There’s drug dealing in all the side streets,” he said. “This is just the beginning. Wait until it gets warmer. Police need to come out here more often.”

Walling said additional officers and additional patrols don’t mean crime is going to stop.

“We’ll never know how many crimes were prevented last night by the additional patrols that were out,” he said.

Walling again called on the city’s public safety unions to give double-digit contract concessions, saying union leaders need to “wake up from fantasy land.” He said that’s the fastest way to bring laid off police officers back on the job.

“I don’t believe this is a time for politics,” he said. “The way you save jobs is you share the sacrifice.”

The police chief said he’s hoping the city can find a way to reopen the jail, which would cost about $1.5 million a year. He said some of the people involved in shootings were picked up on outstanding warrants and later released.

“We need a place to put these people,” he said. “I’m sure the citizens of this city would see a dramatic impact quickly.”

Journal staff writer Laura Misjak and photographer Sarah Miller contributed to this report.
Post Sat May 29, 2010 6:41 pm 
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

Another killing in Flint.An 18 year old woman.At about 11:00 pm Monday May 31 2010.Area of Dartmouth and Iriquois park.
Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:27 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

*****God! How the hell are community leaders going to stop the violence? Why don't we all "channel" good thoughts and get out our favorite crystals . What is needed is more cops! Obama, stop giving cities money for "green job czars" and let the cities use the money in more intelligent ways. Also, use some fed money to reopen a jail or two, hell, outfit an old building for that purpose. Flint does not need more candlight vigils and "forums" , that crap is cool if you have a civilzed people you are dealing with, but the punks doing the shooting aren't going to be all torn up by people singing hymns and hearing condemening speeches. Get real!******

Response to onepeevedguy...

Yes you are right!! Wow I agreed with you. Holding hands and singing Kumbaya isn't going to solve anything. Whatsoever.

There is a story, I am sure that someone can effectively tell it. Two men are out in a rowboat way out at sea. The boat has a hole in it and there are sharks swimming around waiting for their demise. One guy says, "Dear Lord, please help us!! Save us, don't let us get eaten by the sharks! What have we done to deserve this?!" The other chap is rowing frantically. The man who was praying said to the chap rowing, "don't you believe that God will save us?!" The man rowing said to the praying man...."You fool, I've been praying in my own way AND rowing!! I've got both bases covered. God gave me common sense to do something about the situation AND I am praying. I'm doing better than you. All you're doing is wailing!!"

Anyone can pray to any higher authority for help it's just a freakin' bandaid...while others are wailing others are rowing a boat AND praying.....

Time to take action....not wailing.
Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:17 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

The State Police won't be here forever, & the gang bangers & thugs are laying low until they leave. It seems like there are more MSP cars out there than Flint cars. I don't think Walling knows, or cares, that knowing you will be caught AND locked up is what deters crime. Cops on the street & a city lockup are what's needed. That, and an end to the "stop snitching" culture.

Post Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:08 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
"stop snitching" culture.

Which is part of the subculure who aint going anywhere. Add in of course the PC method of controling the gangbangers and it dosent look good.

Post Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:45 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 95, 96, 97  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: