FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: How did race get interjected in the new IRS building?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

At the Monday, April 26, 20010, Council meeting a public hearing was on the agenda to amend the Brownfield Plan for the new IRS building being constructed on 901 to 915 N. Saginaw. The amendment was necessary because of a change in developper after the original developer was unable to secure the necessary bank funding. Also, one parcel was owned by the Land bank and was part of the their Brownfield plan. it was removed from the Flint Brownfield plan. Phase 2 tests revealed no contamination, so the brownfield is based on blight.

The first speaker on the brownfield was Nick Singelis. He addressed the issue of the contractor hired to build the new IRS building. Singelis addressed allegations the contractor was not labor friendly and had bypassed the prevailing wage. he noted the city could contact a number of labor organization leaders. federal contracts normally require prevailing wage. He stated he desired the city ensure more local subcontractors be included in the construction.

(Note- the contractor of the new Social Security office in Ward 1 used a number of local subcontractors.)

Suddenly Greg Eason jumped up and angrily denounced Singelis and his comments. He said he was pleased there was new development going on in the North end and there was no "hockey pockey whent the development was south of the river". This project would "help the north end change it's complexion" and the "north end deserves development". He accused Singelis of dehumanizing "people of color".

The next speaker was Eric Mays and that is when things got really heated.
Pointing at the 3 white representatives of the project, Mays said "these are white folks and eason raised the race issue-opened a can of worms". "When it comes to race it's who's at the top." He pointed at Eason and told him, "Eason, you went to the white folks and you benefit".

It appeared that Eason got up and moved towards Mays. Mays turned and struck a fighting stance and Eason was frozen in place. Was Eason going to attack Mays? Looked like it, but you can never tell.

Mays must have thought so to as he angrily stated he had the right to fight back. He spoke about what Eason does in private coming out in public. Possible reference to city Hall stories about allegations of anger management issues.

Mays reminded Eason that Mays father, Pastor of Shiloh Baptist until his death, had been instrumental in the construction of Shiloh Commons, a townhouse development in the north end.

Race continued to dominate the public hearing.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:02 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

I heard that Eason has a terrible temper. I sure feel sorry for you folks in Flinttown, the "leadership" sounds like they are turning on each other. Of course that will happen when the stakes are so small. It's like watching vultures figthing over a the bloated body of a horse.
Post Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:31 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Pay per view! All money to go towards hiring another police officer/referee. Surprised

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Sounds like someone should of poped a pill before the meeting.

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
At the Monday, April 26, 20010, Council meeting a public hearing was on the agenda to amend the Brownfield Plan for the new IRS building being constructed on 901 to 915 N. Saginaw. The amendment was necessary because of a change in developper after the original developer was unable to secure the necessary bank funding. Also, one parcel was owned by the Land bank and was part of the their Brownfield plan. it was removed from the Flint Brownfield plan. Phase 2 tests revealed no contamination, so the brownfield is based on blight.

The first speaker on the brownfield was Nick Singelis. He addressed the issue of the contractor hired to build the new IRS building. Singelis addressed allegations the contractor was not labor friendly and had bypassed the prevailing wage. he noted the city could contact a number of labor organization leaders. federal contracts normally require prevailing wage. He stated he desired the city ensure more local subcontractors be included in the construction.

(Note- the contractor of the new Social Security office in Ward 1 used a number of local subcontractors.)

Suddenly Greg Eason jumped up and angrily denounced Singelis and his comments. He said he was pleased there was new development going on in the North end and there was no "hockey pockey whent the development was south of the river". This project would "help the north end change it's complexion" and the "north end deserves development". He accused Singelis of dehumanizing "people of color".

The next speaker was Eric Mays and that is when things got really heated.
Pointing at the 3 white representatives of the project, Mays said "these are white folks and eason raised the race issue-opened a can of worms". "When it comes to race it's who's at the top." He pointed at Eason and told him, "Eason, you went to the white folks and you benefit".

It appeared that Eason got up and moved towards Mays. Mays turned and struck a fighting stance and Eason was frozen in place. Was Eason going to attack Mays? Looked like it, but you can never tell.

Mays must have thought so to as he angrily stated he had the right to fight back. He spoke about what Eason does in private coming out in public. Possible reference to city Hall stories about allegations of anger management issues.

Mays reminded Eason that Mays father, Pastor of Shiloh Baptist until his death, had been instrumental in the construction of Shiloh Commons, a townhouse development in the north end.

Race continued to dominate the public hearing.

Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:48 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

No city council meetings aired this past Sunday on Comcast Channel 17 again. Do you suppose this type of behavior has anything to do with it? Did this happen at meetings that should have aired on Sunday, too?
Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:40 am 
lacyw
F L I N T O I D

Dave,

You are right, I have been saying it for a while and even considered putting it into my next standup comedy routine next month. Reality TV will save Flint and America. Take all this censure garbage off and let them go fist to cuffs. Then we air it worldwide like the taiwan congress when they went at it. Charge for commercial time on the program and start marketing video games. let people pick their characters and go at it, invite everyone to join in online like world of warcraft. Eason can be the huge beast at the top levels that the villagers must destroy.

I have always figured, if they can't be effective, they can at least be entertaining and bring revenue to the city to earn their pay and bring our police back.
Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:10 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
No city council meetings aired this past Sunday on Comcast Channel 17 again. Do you suppose this type of behavior has anything to do with it? Did this happen at meetings that should have aired on Sunday, too?

Part of it aired at 2 pm. Probably a Comcast snafu!
Post Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:47 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Some residents from the 5th ward were angry at Bernard Lawler and said he snickered when the Mays-Eason incident occurred. I think they misinterpreted his response. Everyone has heard about Eason's temper. Since no one came to blows, Lawler was probably just incredulous that Eason was losing control more often in public. He has had displays of anger before in committee and he actually trembled from trying to control himself.
Post Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:51 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

It's sad that race has to enter into everything in Flint.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:16 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

so what mays' father had something to do with shiloh commons. was he saying he wanted a piece of the pie? what was his point? mays is a clown who will do and say anything to rattle people. isn't he also the guy who brought up race???? what a wingnut.

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:46 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
back again schreef:
so what mays' father had something to do with shiloh commons. was he saying he wanted a piece of the pie? what was his point? mays is a clown who will do and say anything to rattle people. isn't he also the guy who brought up race???? what a wingnut.

Mays point was tht there has been construction in the North side. Eagle Ridge, the Social Security building, University Park and Shiloh Commons were examples. His objection was that Eason should not have free rein to stand up and criticize each public speaker and he should not be able to make race allegations where no mention of race was made. Mays objected to Eason making the new IRS building a racial issue. He did not ask for any piece of the pie although he did filibuster. His real issue seemed to be that council wants to limit the speaking time for public hearings.

Should there be more construction anywhere in Flint? That needs careful examination. The closing of Wilkins ans williams schools could mean more population losses have occurred in those area or may happen. People want their elementary school close and they frequently buy or move in an area with a school known to be good.
Post Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:31 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

thanks for the explanation webs!! Laughing Laughing

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Sat May 01, 2010 3:41 pm 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

Eric Mays would of kicked his ass!
Post Mon May 03, 2010 5:05 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

If I had been at that meeting, it would have been difficult not to shout out: "5 bucks on Eric!"

Post Mon May 03, 2010 6:23 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

i'da won $10.00 off you guys!!!!!!easy... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

P.Y.
Post Tue May 04, 2010 8:23 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: