FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Walling -Police/Fire and City Council face off tonight

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

If you are looking for fireworks, free entertainment or to voice your opionion I would go to City Hall 1101 S. Saginaw St. Flint Mich 48502
3rd Floor City Council Chambers tonight at 5:30pm.

FireFighters
Police Officers
City Council
The Mayor
Union Workers and residents will be there.

Also the mayor will be there as well with Greg Eason, right after he pops two of his crazy pills.
Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/03/flint_police_firefighters_to_p.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+flint_journal_news+%28Flint+Journal+News+-+MLive.com%29
Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:16 pm 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

Flint police, firefighters to picket over public safety layoffs
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal
March 08, 2010, 2:42PM
FLINT, Michigan — Members of the Flint police officers' and firefighters' unions are expected to picket today in protest of recent public safety layoffs.

The picket is planned for 4 p.m. outside Flint City Hall, 1101 S. Saginaw St., before this evening's city council meeting.

The picket comes one day before the 80 police and firefighter layoffs had been scheduled to take effect.

The layoffs have since been delayed until the end of the month, and the Flint Police Officers Association is asking for a court injunction against the city.

The city is facing a projected $8 million deficit. The layoffs are expected to save about $1.5 million.

Read more:

Feb. 17: City of Flint to lose 80 police, firefighters with layoffs

Feb. 27: Two of five Flint fire stations to close if firefighter layoffs go into effect; Mayor says more budget cuts coming

March 4: 80 Flint police, firefighter layoffs to be delayed until later this month
Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:17 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

So what are the requirements for setting up a popcorn & soda concession?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Lesee how far this news has traveled, shall we?

Dallas TX Morning News
http://topics.dallasnews.com/article/03Ui3INa4Nepv?q=Michigan

Ann Arbor Public Broadcasting:
http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/michigan/news.newsmain/article/1/0/1615107/Michigan.News/Flint%27s.Firefighter.Layoffs.Have.Suburban.Fire.Chiefs.Worried.

The Tenesseean Based out of Nashville?
http://sec.tennessean.com/article/0dIM0oa4eL8PK?q=Michigan

Detroit News
http://www.detnews.com/article/20100301/OPINION01/3010302/1008/Editorial--Arbitrators-over-police--fire-pay-should-consider-cities--financial-condition

New England Area...cool:
http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wamc/news.newsmain/article/0/18/1613427/The.Economy.Project/Flint.Announces.Police..Firefighter.Layoffs

Whew, these are just a few...not to mention the cop and firefighter forums which I won't post....
Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:04 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
So what are the requirements for setting up a popcorn & soda concession?

You might want to ask RL Mitchell for permission on that. He's generally the go to guy for supplies. Smile
Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:33 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Union leaders from Flint police, fire speak out against layoffs at city council meeting
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal
March 08, 2010, 7:01PM

Flint police Officer Jason Cate holds a check the police officers' union presented to the Flint City Council on Monday. The check is made out to City of Flint and the amount reads, "Up to and including our lives."FLINT, Michigan -- The heads of the Flint police officers' and firefighters' unions pleaded with the Flint City Council tonight to find a way to avoid the mayor's proposed public safety cuts.

"Hopefully the budget will be reopened and you guys will make the necessary cuts to avoid public safety," said Officer Keith Speer, president of the Flint Police Officers Association. "We're pleading with you, with the council, please don't let this happen."

Dozens of police and fire personnel and members of their families attended the city council meeting to protest 80 public safety layoffs that are expected to take effect at the end of the month.

Flint Mayor Dayne Walling has proposed laying off 57 police officers and 23 firefighters to help the city trim a projected $8-million budget deficit.

The layoffs are expected to save about $1.5 million, the mayor has said.

The city is asking for concessions from the unions to avoid the layoffs. Union leaders have said the city's proposed concessions are too severe.

Raul Garcia, president of the firefighters union, said the reduced public safety staffs will jeopardize the lives of residents and police and firefighters.

"In the last 10 months we have had five close fatalities in the fire department," Garcia said. "If that isn't a wake up call... then I hope that you all will be able to face our families."
Post Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:05 am 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

Do you really think Walling cares? NO!
Post Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:35 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: