FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: How deep will Walling cut the Police?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Just heard on the news that Walling is wanting 40% cuts in wages & benefits over 2 years from the Police unions! I have heard that there is a mandated minimum staffing level for Police Officers. Does Bossman, or anyone, know if this is true? If so, what is that number?

Right now, if there are only 10 Officers per shift on the street, how low can they go? Walling is going beyond the point of endangering public safety.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

Dave, the 3 police unions were given new demands from the City this week. We have been negotiating since before the New Year. All three unions have entertained various cuts and have suggested numerous cost cutting measures to the administration.
The new demands include 15% pay cut the 1st year, 5% pay cut the second year, pay 20% of health care costs, increase retirement contribution by 20%, elimination of several aspects of overtime, retirement calculated on base pay(no OT), and cutting spouse benefits after death of employee. No layoff numbers have never been presented.
The public needs to know that layoffs have been the plan right from the beginning. Walling knew that layoffs would be unpopular and his re-election chances would fade. He decided to ask for concessions. When he realized the unions were entertaining, and countering the concessions, he increased his demands. Fearing the unions would accept some of his concessions he created this list of outrageous demands knowing the unions would balk and demand arbitration. Now Walling can layoff and blame the unions for not accepting his concession package. He can achieve his goal and place the blame elsewhere.
The general public's safety and the safety of the law enforcement officers is being jeopardized so that Walling can further his political agenda. This city is in deep trouble.
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:28 pm 
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

Let's suppose Walling cuts all 4-5 appointee's in his office and all the the clerical staff, let's say that saves at the most $750,000, that still doesn't close the budget deficit, then what Dave? What does he do for the rest of the millions?
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:31 pm 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Dave where do you think this money will come from? A deficit is not allowable, its just not. The city must cut. No one likes it but its inevitable. Its not like he is just saying lets cut all cops because he feels like it, he is doing it because there is no other choice. The unions need to take these deals. People in the private sector have to pay thousands for healthcare and have taken far over 20% cuts, but the police union feels like they are above it. Police Union: STOP HURTING OUR CITY BECAUSE OF YOUR GREED AND START PROTECTING IT.
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:49 pm 
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

Here is a post Josh Freeman made a while ago that I looked up:

Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Here is a list of how our tax dollars are being spent....

Department/Job Title/Name/Annual Rate

City Administrator/City Administrator/D Buchanan/$95,276.48
Transportation/Trans Director/J. Carpenter/$90,001.60
Park & Rec/Mayor's Aide/R. Cook/$76,801.92
Office of Mayor/Gov. Policy Director/P.Cook/$85,001.28
Fire Dept/Chief/R.Dicks/$90,165.92
Office of Mayor/Admin. Services Aide/M. Fredricks/$52,000.00
City Administrator/Admin Aide/S. Haywood/$35,000.16
Water Service/Utility Super/L. Hippensteel/$90,001.60
Water&Sewer/Water Developement Coordinator/S Kayser/$85,001.28
Personnel/Director/D Pitts/$89,600.16
Finance/Dir. Constit. Services & Citizen Affairs/M. Randolph/$65,000.00
Budget/Budget Director/M. Townsend/$89,600.16
Office Of Mayor/Mayor/D. Williamson/$1.00
Law/Chief Legal/T. Young/$90,165.92
Park & Rec/Community Program/C Conley/$33,009.60
Office of Mayor/Mayor's Sec./K. Furze/$47,426.08
Office of Mayor/Mayor's Aide/J. Urdy/$33,009.60

So for the Mayor and his appointees we have a grand total of $1,147,062.76.

Muliple that by 125% so that we can get a true cost with benefits and we have $2,580,891.21 .

But the Mayor only takes $1.00 a year.

I wonder how it compares to Today
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:41 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

4 or 5 Pachuko? Walling spent 83% of his payroll budget in the first 6 months of the fiscal year! If he wants to cut the police & fire unions so deeply, WHY dopes he only cut HIS people 5%?

Munnbreslin, assuming you work & support a family, how would you like your wages cut as deeply as Walling wants? If you're a student living at home, what if your parents pay was cut that far & they could no longer afford your education? Greedy police union? The Flint Police are some of the lowest paid in the state. How about if you suck it up & get realistic?

WHERE ARE THE CUTS TO WALLING'S APPOINTEES? WHERE ARE THE CUTS TO THE REST OF THE CITY BUDGET? IN A FINANCIAL CRISIS, IS A GREEN CZAR AN ABSOLUTE NECESSITY? IS THE SAFETY OF THE PEOPLE OF FLINT THE ONLY THING TO BE REDUCED? THERE ARE ONLY ABOUT 10 OFFICERS PER SHIFT ON THE STREET NOW; WHAT WILL BE LEFT AFTER WALLING'S CUTS, 5? LESS?

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

You didn't answer my question Dave...
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:49 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The data you posted is at least 2 years old. Pachucho

If you watched channel 17 then you know that a lot of unnecessary overtime has been used and Freeman is the one who pointed it out.

If I remember the mid year review correctly the police budget is in line but a number of other budgets, including the mayors office are over budget. Citizens have identified public safety as their number one concern, a fact that Walling recently acknowledged. That is what dave is stressing to you. He too realizes cuts must be made, but i believe he was at council meetings where council stressed cuts should have started months ago and should have been ongoing.

Council has recently chastised Walling for not having someone in his administration who will take the hard steps and make cuts. Freeman and other council have stated Walling should have been making changes for months. They are angry that his administration has not brought forward resolutions that detail the actions he will make to correct the deficit, even after the review.

Walling will not receive any cooperation until he complies. That is merely the nature of Politics in Flint. If Walling does not make a good faith effort to comply with the charter , ordinances and state budgetary acts, then he must expect dissention. It has happened with every mayor that made bad decisions. The next budget process could be a disaster for the mayor's office and his appointees. You have yet to see a council enact a line item budget to make a point. Under such a budget some appointees could disappear.

What will happen if the mayor implements these draconian changes in the police dept and then loses the srbitration? The city will hAve to repay the officers for unfair labor practices. In addition our dept is low paying in comparison to comprable cities.

The unions have been suggesting cost saving changes for years. No one has had the wisdom to implement some of these programs. I hear people laughing at the plans Walling has to save money, because the experienced employees know it will cost more for most of them.

Where is the wisdom in having mini stations in all wards with fewer police to serve the people. Thes stations need volunteers, utilities, phones and security, which all come at a cost.

Bossman says to eliminate the PAL program and nonessential units. Personally, I think some are important but then I am not in the police workforce.
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:34 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

How much lonnger will we even be able to afford any police? How much of our budget is going to retirees?
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:19 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

that was a good edcation webs. i am now beginning to understand how that system works... Cool Cool Cool just curious, did the don's administration ever get a balanced budget for the appointees portion of the city expenditures?

Last edited by back again on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:43 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

We operated this city with 9 council people when the population was 200,000. Now we are half. How about we reduce council people to five and redraw the wards. That has to be nearly 200k a year between salary and benefits. Obviously more valuable than the police.

Before Walling took over there were 3-4 people working in Labor Relations/Human Resources. Now there are about 8. Obviously more valuable than the police.

The City was involved in a Green City Summit the other day and Steve "Green Czar" Montel wasn't even on the panel. What is his worth to the City if he is not of value to a Green City Summit? Obviously more valuable than the police.

Dawn Jones has been on TV once since Walling took office. If she is the media person why is Walling himself always the one on TV. What exactly is her role in communicating the concerns of the City and it's citizens to the media? Obviously more valuable than the police.

If I'm not mistaken Walling indicated that he would make public safety his number one priority. The only people in Flint that are safe under Walling are the criminals.
Post Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:44 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Labor relations took cuts in previous years and that would lead me to suspect these positions are unfunded. Deidre used a firm that specialized and used when necessary.

Council noted that Rhoda Matthews was an unbudgeted and unfunded position and recently indicated a second mayoral position, unnamed, was also unfunded. These 2 unfunded positions will cost approximately $240 to 320 K.

Where is the Budget Director in this process? Perhaps eliminating that position and consolidating depts wasn't good.council pointed out they are getting monthly budget-to-actuals, so these deficits should not have been a shock to Walling.

The check book is showing payments to Z C Stering and another real estate agency. Are these ananlysts hired by walling and did they go through council.

156549 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE TAX SVC $2,358.06
156548 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE TAX SVC $238.27
156547 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE TAX SVC $392.99
156546 1/28/2010 Z C STERLING $75.13
156545 1/28/2010 Z C STERLING $404.17
156544 1/28/2010 Z C STERLING $370.27
156543 1/28/2010 Z C STERLING $735.20
156542 1/28/2010 Z C STERLING $194.51
156541 1/28/2010 Z C STERLING $766.47
156540 1/28/2010 Z C STERLING $770.06
156539 1/28/2010 Z C STERLING $787.50
156538 1/28/2010 Z C STERLING $267.12
156537 1/28/2010 Z C STERLING $268.25
156536 1/28/2010 Z C STERLING $583.51
156535 1/28/2010 Z C STERLING $425.26
156534 1/28/2010 Z C STERLING $181.41
156533 1/28/2010 Z C STERLING $262.27
156532 1/28/2010 Z C STERLING $472.30
156531 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $403.59
156530 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $4.61
156529 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $119.81
156528 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $379.96
156527 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $483.59
156526 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $594.49
156525 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $598.12
156524 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $647.21
156523 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $542.41
156522 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $298.15
156521 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $647.21
156520 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $163.62
156519 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $387.23
156518 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $492.67
156517 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $279.57
156516 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $350.88
156515 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $419.08
156514 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $681.75
156513 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $426.21
156512 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $469.04
156511 1/28/2010 FIRST AMERICAN REAL ESTATE $369.
Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:52 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Keeping you first. ZC Sterling keeps your business strong with a combination of integrated solutions and customizable services that can't be found elsewhere.

A tradition of performance. ZC Sterling leads the field in providing outsourced insurance, real estate tax, and customer care solutions for the mortgage industry. We were the first to provide hazard insurance outsourcing and to create technology to deliver the industry's first insourced tax solution. But none of our accomplishments demonstrates our success more than our clients' successes. ZC Sterling keeps clients first in mind – and first in the eyes of their customers.

Keeping you first in mind. We give clients more control over their processes. Our flexibility helps satisfy our clients' customers and build new profit centers.

Keeping you first in your customer's eyes. Our passion for quality reflects your highest customer service standards. Our knowledge and efficiency deliver true one-call resolution service. We were first to integrate an affordable homeowners insurance offer within the hazard insurance servicing process, giving our clients' customers a positive alternative.

ZC Sterling provides outsourcing services for the mortgage industry with a proactive, collaborative approach that keeps you first. First in quality. First in compliance. First in service. First in innovation.

Hazard Insurance Outsourcing that minimizes false placements and unnecessary customer calls
Real Estate Tax Solutions for accurate, timely tax processing, enabling a new revenue stream
Never Say No national homeowners insurance with streamlined underwriting
Customer Care Services technology, tools and expertise for true one-call resolution

Home | Hazard Outsourcing | Tax Solutions | Voluntary Insurance | Customer Care Solutions | Legal
Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:08 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Pachuco schreef:
You didn't answer my question Dave...

4 or 5 appointees at 80K each plus benefits is a pretty good chunk on change. Walling has spent 87% of his payroll budget for the year as of 12-31. Let him keep all his hangers-on, just do not give him one cent more than was budgeted for the year to pay them. The budget to actual presented to the council shows $18,024.14 left in his payroll budget as of 12-31. Let him operate on that for the rest of the fiscal year.

Josh would know better that most anyone here - what percentage will the budget have to be cut to balance it? Cut EVERY department by that percentage. Do NOT lay off any patrol officers or fire fighters. Ask the unions to agree to reduce the number of administrative jobs presently done by sworn officers & replace them with unpaid volunteers. Staff the ministations with unpaid volunteers.

Last edited by Dave Starr on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:11 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

First American Services for Government

As budget pressures mount, the need for efficient and comprehensive tools to locate, manage and assess the value of real property is greater than ever before. The First American Corporation gives you better insight through industry leading applications and the most current data available.

We deliver value by helping you to reduce outside assessment costs through proprietary automated valuation models thereby increasing accuracy and your confidence in the decisions that you make. Quickly get detailed property ownership reports, tax assessed values, street and parcel maps and transaction history reports to empower your research, planning or zoning related processes.

Reduce manpower during asset valuation and research related to criminal, civil or redevelopment proceedings. Easily gather list development data and match it with legal and vesting information speeding up your compliance related mailings or other targeted contact needs.

Value right of ways for transportation and utility easement planning or environmental impact related research. Recover lost or missed revenues with rapid access to property and ownership data. Manage government owned real estate holdings.

Professionals like you from an array of government agencies utilize our public record real estate data to gather or validate relevant information everyday.

Federal
Identification of specific property ownership for investigations and asset research. Quickly locate properties in specific areas for redevelopment, or ability to determine values of property contemplated for purchase. Determine loan values and manage foreclosure properties.

State
Compile commercial property information to manage tax revenue redistribution, appraisal of natural resources, research and determine fire zones and mail annual compliance notices. Locate and determine value of right-of-ways or easements; perform site research and evaluation.

County
Audit state excise tax distribution between city and county. Research, appraisal and property management. Validate homeowner contact information for compliance notification and mailing of violation notices.

City
Research property ownership related to permit review and approval. Determine property ownership for mailing of notices related to compliance or right-of-way appraisal. Research, identify and assess properties targeted for redevelopment. Obtain supporting data for impact studies.

To learn more please view the recommended products and services below:

RealQuest Pro™
RealQuest Pro is the nation's most advanced property information search engine. Select from standard reports and queries or mine our database through our flexible dynamic mapping solution or custom search feature.Read More >> Home| Investors| News| Company Info| Contact Us| Site Map
Privacy| Legal Notices| © 2010 The First American Corporation
Post Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:14 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: