FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Should Flint File for Bankruptcy?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Should Flint File for Bankruptcy?
yes
69%
 69%  [ 9 ]
no
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Genesee County commission chairman says Flint might need to file for bankruptcy

Chapter 9

Wikipedia

Vallejo Bankruptcy

"Look at the pensions the city is paying. THe city will have to file bankrupcy like many other citys when the boomers want to retire with 70% of current salary and full health benefits. Yea taxpayers!"

Last edited by Adam on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:19 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

adam- Flint will go back to the Emergency Financial manager system before going into bankruptcy.
Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:32 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Can the financial manager file for us? I predict bankruptcy within 5 or 10 years.

Last edited by Adam on Tue May 22, 2012 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:35 am 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Any option that has the term, "void union contracts," sounds like a godsend!
Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:26 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Mr. Curtis your intervention into the affairs of Flint are an over reach on your part. Your role as Chairperson of the Genesee County Board of Commissioners did not require this intervention. Possibly your past relations and current mentors from a previous administration have prompted this stupidity on your part. Flint has normalized its government. We have a good council and a good mayor whose roles as a check and balance on each other will require public disagreement from time to time. I fully expect each will do their job. Those of us who live in Flint, I was born here, are still troubled by the previous financial receivership Flint found itself in. Your cavalier pronouncement that we should seek chapter 9 bankruptcy to bust the union contracts is so non Flintoid, so anti democratic and anti union if is laughable. Why is it laughable? Because us flintoids will laugh as this intrusion of yours comes back to haunt you. Your district needs to redistricted out of Flint.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/02/genesee_county_commission_chai.html

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Odd, coming from someone that was a gung-ho local 599 official not so many years ago.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Odd, coming from someone that was a gung-ho local 599 official not so many years ago.

Mr. Curtis you are the leader of a unit of government. In Flint we are in the middle of labor negotiation between the Unions and the Mayor. It is at a critical point. The council has a right and should demand to be informed by the Mayor. Residents have a right be informed by council and mayor. Outside politicians advocating union/contract busting should keep their nose out of our business or we shall most assuridly get our nose in yours.

Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:46 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Terry you are right on. And I agree that this is probably the best council, with some exceptions, that we have had in years.
Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:09 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Terry, you are over-reacting to Curtis' comments.
Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:50 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
h20h20h20h20 schreef:
This isn't about Curtis. [url=http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/02/genesee_county_commission_chai/2552/comments-2.html] This idea was actually floated by the State to the city administration in lieu of a state takeover. Walling & Eason just kept it quiet. [/url]

It makes sense. Walling won't do it because he views it as political suicide. I view it as saving the city, cleaning up the dep'ts, entering into new employee contracts, and moving forward without the tremendous debt that we will NEVER get out from with present circumstances.

Can anyone verify this?

Last edited by Adam on Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:38 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

i can't understand how anyone would view union elimination as a godsend. i've worked in most states and in virtually every "right to work" state i've known good americans who worked every day that work for companies who's main goal is greed. safety lacks (and i've seen people die because of it). dental care consists of pulling a tooth when it's rotten (and these are children!). no checks and balances in employee relations (if the right person doesn't like you, your simply fired). houses are barely fit to live in. i'm not making this up. i live next to a couple in which the husband was a long haul truck driver 20 years. company went banckrupt, owners absconded with the pension fund. this couple was living in a van for 2 years. now he has to get dialysis 3 times a week. he is bleeding internally and his teeth are brown. all this because the company owners felt the same way as you breslin. let me tell you.it tugs your heart to see people live this way. take a ride through the appalacians and deep south, then come back with that attitude.

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:19 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Public Act 4 and Chapter 9 bankruptcy webinar

Post Tue May 22, 2012 10:21 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
adam- Flint will go back to the Emergency Financial manager system before going into bankruptcy.

Yes, so now are we ready for chapter 9?
Post Tue May 22, 2012 10:23 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Well Adam flint did go back to the now Emergency Manager syatem, but now we should consider bankruptcy.

Word is the DOE is not favorable to a new grant. Repayment?

Over $1 million repayment in first HUD/OIG report.

I am not sure if there is a repayment amount yet for the second HUD/OIG report.

A repayment has been hanging out there for the longest on the Flint Area Investment Fund (FAIF)-some say "slush fund". What is the status? The FAIF is approaching it's sunset date.

The EM Brown press release was revealing when he said the new company had the proper bonds. When the first contractors were not paid, it was discovered no bond.

The Economic Development Corporation is nearly broke. The city and the land bank still have not entered into a contract for the building the land bank is using free. This Oak Business Center building usually rents from $3,000 to $4,000 per month.

It is beginning to look like people do not want to pay for parking downtown, so where is the money for the parking deck coming from?

The State continues to use the revenue sharing funds promised to the communities to balance their budget. Maybe the state should file bankruptcy.
Post Wed May 23, 2012 8:40 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

deleted

Last edited by Adam on Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun May 27, 2012 12:32 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: