FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Are You a Democrat? Should You Be?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Jim4GCC

Challenge Your Party Affiliation

Do you believe we should be able to say “One Nation Under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance?

Do you believe every American should learn English?

If a person assaults a pregnant woman and the unborn child dies, should the assailant be charged with murder?

Should the courts get involved if a nativity scene is set up in a town square during the Christmas season?

Did the New York Times do the right thing by printing classified information detailing how the government tracks the financial transactions of terrorists?

Did the Supreme Court make the right decision when it ruled New London, Connecticut has the right to force people from their homes in order to build a conference center?

Do you believe able bodied people on welfare should work?

Whose interest should come first; the interests of international organizations or those of the United States?

Who is more responsible for Anti-Americanism in the Middle East; al Jazeera and Jihadist Religious Institutions or the American Soldier?

Have four judges made the right decision when they ruled that the State of Massachusetts will have gay marriage?

* Which Political Party best embodies the answers you gave to the questions above?

Check out the link:
http://www.revivegeneseecounty.com/revivegeneseecounty_challen.html
Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:33 am 
brilliant oh great one

say som or
Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:28 pm 
zcflint05

No, we shouldn't have to say "One Nation under God" in the Pledge because this isn't a Christian nation and our nation has other religions than Christianity.

Yes--give me a Democrat that says that American's shouldn't learn English.

depends on the trimester--it's a much more complicated issue than some bullshit one line sentence.

Yes--read the Constitution.

Yes--because those ways may infringe on our civil rights as well. Or do you prefer secrecy?

No

No--but why shouldn't welfare and SSI exist for non-able bodied people? Just because someone is on food stamps, etc, that doesn't mean that they're just being lazy. I know multiple handicapped individuals who are completley unable to work due to medical issues.

The American soldier isn't responsible. The Bush adminstration, for invading Iraq and creating civil war in that country, leading to Middle-east instability and then admitting that a Democracy will not work in the Middle-east, has a larger role to play than TV news.

Yes. Tell me why it shouldn't--and no, your answer can't be "because the Bible says so".

You lose, I win.
Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:35 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

Is there an echo in here?

While our founders wanted separation between government and religion, they meant church; eg; a specific denomination. Many of the early immigrants were fleeing some sort of religious persecution between DENOMINATIONS of Christianity.

Look at our government buildings[references to God], look at our currency; our government acknowledges a "higher power" ie; GOD. What isn't expressed in any of those references is a specific CHURCH, like Protestants, Catholic, Baptists, Methodists, Jewish etc. These people were not far removed from wars in Europe where people killed each other based NOT on GOD but on denominations of churches.

Believe it or not our nation was founded "under God"....whether you worship him through Islam, Judaism, Catholicism, Shintosim, Buddhism,Protestantism etc, or choose not recognize "him" is up to you; that is the freedom we all have. But our founding fathers recognized a higher power.

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:09 pm 
Adam

I've heard churches political speeches were critical to the Revolutionary war. It wasn't until the political power of churches made Senator Lyndon B. Johnson mad that the IRS law came along and made it so political churches can lose their tax exempt status.
http://members.aol.com/wundrer/EndTheWall/separation.htm has some decent info.
Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:54 am 
zcflint05

The problem with all of your premises is that there must be a higher power involved--why does the government force an athiest to associate with a higher power if thier interal belief is that no higher power exists?

The interal defintions and language of religion is something that shouldn't be endorsed by ANY government. It's a strictly personal matter regardless of what faith or non-faith you choose to associate yourself with.

What I don't get is that why someone can't worship Jesus or Allah or the Flying Spaghetti Monster less effectively if the government doesn't specfically endorse thier belief in a higher power.

The language in the Constitution is specfic enough for me: the government shouldn't endorse any specific tenent of a religion or religious establishment, IE Christianity. Naming "God" in any type of government sponsored document endorses a limited amount of religions. Muslims refer to thier higher power as Allah--Buddists--and hell, if you want to get techincal, why isn't the Flying Spaghetti Monster included in the Constitution. The language, while maybe inclusive to Christianity and Judiasim, does NOT include Islam, Buddism, etc.

You lose, I win.
Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:32 am 
Jim4GCC1

I always encourage a liberal to speak his/her mind. It usually doesn't take long for them to expose their positions as way outside of the American mainstream.

http://www.revivegeneseecounty.com
Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:36 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

..."You lose, I win."

You are indeed, a legend in your own mind.

Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:55 am 
ellwoodflint

at what point did under god become an issue?
does it really effct the way you live, the way you choose to practice your faith?
no it does not. Anyone who is using the phrase under god as a tool politically is an arrogant person that has no life of their own and works at molding others lives to fit theirs.
there are many more important issues all over the world that this country should be trying to work on and change. If you don't like the phrase, one nation under god, don't say it. If it bothers you so bad that it is on the dollar bill you use to survive on than move to europe...They believe in one nation under a royal family and have the queen on their coins....

as for everyone should speak english.yes they should only because it is the number one used language in the world in bussiness. to succeed you should. Do we not make an effort to require our children to take another language? yes we do, it is MANDITORY in our public schools...why is asking the same of others who come here to do the same a bad thing? are we asking for somthing we do not do ourselves..NO we do not.

There is no I win, I lose...just sadness that intelligent people have nothing more important on there agendas
Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:10 pm 
zcflint05

quote:
Jim4GCC1 schreef:
I always encourage a liberal to speak his/her mind. It usually doesn't take long for them to expose their positions as way outside of the American mainstream.

http://www.revivegeneseecounty.com

You want to spam up your poorly made website for a menial county governmental position anymore?
Post Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:43 am 
Jim4GCC1

Quote from zcflint05

You want to spam up your poorly made website for a menial county governmental position anymore?

-----------------

Your sentence structure is so poor, I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say?

www.revivegeneseecounty.com
Post Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:09 am 
zcflint05

Or maybe it's because your reading comprehension is so poor?
Post Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:42 pm 
ellwoodflint

or maybe you two should get a room of your own
Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:46 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: