FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: 2007 Mayoral Elections
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Sara

Doesn't Dane Walling need a little more experience living and working in Flint before he runs for mayor? Seems like he's in a little bit of a hurry.
Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:36 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

For Julie and Frank. Does the city of Flint charter mean anything to you? Is it just a guide? Do you think we do not need an official police chief like it says in the charter? Do you think we do not need a master plan or a chief planner like it says in the charter or like a normal city has? Do you think the main funcion of a city is simply to pave streets? I understand paving streets is important but if that's all were doing along with watching jobs go away and crime go up I am not convinced will be able to survive another for year. I understand we are "only" in the top 4 in both unemployment and crime but in another four years under Don we might be at #1 in both. In case you haven't figured out paving Streets does not creat jobs.

Don't most mayors at least bother to show up at city council meetings?
Post Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:41 pm 
John

Hold Up Boy! The City of Flint has a master plan, but its very very old.
Post Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:31 am 
John

Adam, who do you think paves the streets? Those aren't people working, making good money? Where does the ashpalt come from? Doesn't someone have to make it? Deliver it? Spread it?

Doesn't it take machines to do the work? Where do they come from? What about Disel fuel to make the machines run? Where do they buy that at? What about when the workers are hungary where do they go?

What about when the workers are horny, don't they need to hit the closes topless bar??

Lots of jobs are created by paving the roads, and in the interim I keep SAVE $$$$ buy not having to repair my car as much! Or out of towners come into town and make fun of my city for the worst roads they have ever seen!
Post Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:34 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Silliness or Sarcasim? Which is it? Who is paving the streets? City workers or out of town contractor! Spending his money on Out of Town businesses??? I dare you answer. Oh and I'm not just thinking about Paving, what about all the other contracts? Tahoes, Tree Cutting, Lawn mowing, etc,
Post Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Meg

quote:
arturo schreef:
Well we already have Adam Ford and Dayne Walling as potential candidates, but I really hope the Mayor wins this election. I say continue the course and let the man do his job. I mean don’t get me wrong, Dayne Walling is a nice guy, but I don't think its his time, at least now, to run for Mayor, especially against Williamson.

Well and then Adam Ford... I have nothing against him personally, he just doesn’t seem to me like mayor material. I mean he isn't successful, in my eyes, financially, politically and family wise. He's barely makes 30k, he isn't married, has no kids and is politically inexperienced. And his physical appearance, in my eyes, aren't mayor material either. I mean, he looks a lil scrawny, nerdy, not a real strong voice, at least from what I see at city council meetings.

To the man who wrote the Opinion piece above,

Its funny how you say "I have nothing against him personally" then go on to attack Mr. Ford personally. To you he is just "lil scrawny, nerdy" and is not successful because he only makes only $30,000" a year. Well at least he isn't in it for the money!

Instead of debating important issues you prefer to smear the Republican opponent. Who are you to say, "in my eyes, Mr. Ford isn't Mayor material". Your eyes have NO credibility because you present no proof to justify your mean-spirited words, just more uninformed rhetoric. Does it ever stop?

A little advice. In order to successfully back up accusations you should try using facts. But I know thats hard for you to do because you know nothing about Adam's stance on any of the issues. In fact, if you did, you'd probably vote for him.

I think Adam is exactly what Flint needs: new blood,passion, a sincere desire to make Flint a better place and most importantly, well thought out IDEAS.

Here are just a few of his stances on the issues.

Adam Ford's Views taken from his my space account http://www.myspace.com/31764583

Crime
To reduce crime we need to prevent crime. To prevent crime we need to get the people who commit crimes off the streets. I support using reward money to solve crimes. I will also go to schools to persuade kids to go to college instead of going to jail. As a citizen I have tried to get the council to put up a reward for murders that are not getting solved.

Jobs
Flint is not creating enough jobs if any. I am already fighting for job creation at City Hall. We need to legalize home businesses. We need to open closed business. We need to force the billion dollar Mott foundation to fix up and open or sell their closed buildings. I have no patience for urban blight. Closed buildings should be reopened or handed over to the city.

Parks Our parks must be fixed up. There is no reason we can't spend $100 for basketball and tennis courts. I also believe we can afford $1000 investment for picnic tables for our parks that have pavilions with no seating.

Continuity in Government
I believe in continuity in government. We must continue adding more police, paving streets, and better financial management. Unfortunately without jobs and with businesses and people moving away we will not be able to continue these initiatives.

If you are going to vote in the upcoming election please don't be an uninformed voter. Study the candidates and where they stand on all of the issues.

Michigan needs better leadership. Vote Republican!
Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:18 pm 
Meg

quote:
arturo schreef:
Well we already have Adam Ford and Dayne Walling as potential candidates, but I really hope the Mayor wins this election. I say continue the course and let the man do his job. I mean don’t get me wrong, Dayne Walling is a nice guy, but I don't think its his time, at least now, to run for Mayor, especially against Williamson.

Well and then Adam Ford... I have nothing against him personally, he just doesn’t seem to me like mayor material. I mean he isn't successful, in my eyes, financially, politically and family wise. He's barely makes 30k, he isn't married, has no kids and is politically inexperienced. And his physical appearance, in my eyes, aren't mayor material either. I mean, he looks a lil scrawny, nerdy, not a real strong voice, at least from what I see at city council meetings.

To the man who wrote the Opinion piece above,

Its funny how you say "I have nothing against him personally" then go on to attack Mr. Ford personally. To you he is just "lil scrawny, nerdy" and is not successful because he only makes only $30,000" a year. Well at least he isn't in it for the money!

Instead of debating important issues you prefer to smear the Republican opponent. Who are you to say, "in my eyes, Mr. Ford isn't Mayor material". Your eyes have NO credibility because you present no proof to justify your mean-spirited words, just more uninformed rhetoric. Does it ever stop?

A little advice. In order to successfully back up accusations you should try using facts. But I know thats hard for you to do because you know nothing about Adam's stance on any of the issues. In fact, if you did, you'd probably vote for him.

I think Adam is exactly what Flint needs: new blood,passion, a sincere desire to make Flint a better place and most importantly, well thought out IDEAS.

Here are just a few of his stances on the issues.

Adam Ford's Views taken from his my space account http://www.myspace.com/31764583

Crime
To reduce crime we need to prevent crime. To prevent crime we need to get the people who commit crimes off the streets. I support using reward money to solve crimes. I will also go to schools to persuade kids to go to college instead of going to jail. As a citizen I have tried to get the council to put up a reward for murders that are not getting solved.

Jobs
Flint is not creating enough jobs if any. I am already fighting for job creation at City Hall. We need to legalize home businesses. We need to open closed business. We need to force the billion dollar Mott foundation to fix up and open or sell their closed buildings. I have no patience for urban blight. Closed buildings should be reopened or handed over to the city.

Parks Our parks must be fixed up. There is no reason we can't spend $100 for basketball and tennis courts. I also believe we can afford $1000 investment for picnic tables for our parks that have pavilions with no seating.

Continuity in Government
I believe in continuity in government. We must continue adding more police, paving streets, and better financial management. Unfortunately without jobs and with businesses and people moving away we will not be able to continue these initiatives.

If you are going to vote in the upcoming election please don't be an uninformed voter. Study the candidates and where they stand on all of the issues.

Michigan needs better leadership. Vote Republican!
Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:19 pm 
roscoevanzandt

quote:
Sara schreef:
Doesn't Dane Walling need a little more experience living and working in Flint before he runs for mayor? Seems like he's in a little bit of a hurry.

That's an interesting question, however, since when do you need to live in Iowa to be a farmer? Listen, dirt is dirt.

If the issue here is qualifications, Dayne's resume reads like a world class surgeon applying to be the town's elementary school nurse. Dayne is a world class expert. He knows his stuff. He's a Rhodes Scholar (Flint's own) he started one of the largest love-of-city based social and philanthropical organizations Flint has ever seen.

If you can work in our nation's capitol (as he as) and succeed at it, you can run little 'ol Flinttown. His organizational, people, and political skills are just what Flint needs.

And now.
Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:21 am 
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Sara schreef:

Hi Sara,

That's an interesting question, however, since when do you need to live in Iowa to be a farmer? Listen, dirt is dirt.

If the issue here is qualifications, Dayne's resume reads like a world class surgeon applying to be the town's elementary school nurse. Dayne is a world class expert. He knows his stuff. He's a Rhodes Scholar (Flint's own) he started one of the largest love-of-city based social and philanthropical organizations Flint has ever seen.

If you can work in our nation's capitol (as he as) and succeed at it, you can run little 'ol Flinttown. His organizational, people, and political skills are just what Flint needs.

And now.
Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:22 am 
Ben

To Roscoe:

Your argument is falacious on its face: Iowa is not Flint and a farmer is not a Mayor.

Is there any city in the United States that would elect someone as their chief executive officer who has not lived in the city for 10 + years and who has no record of actual impact in the city? Working in DC is nice, but it's not all that it's cracked up to be. It's local experience that counts and Dayne just doesn't have it yet.

I personally think Flint Club is a good concept, which is why I joined several years ago. To date, however, the members of Flint Club are basically an email list serve. Yes, FC has given out some scholarships and acknowledged the achievements of people who have done something for the community, but are you really suggesting it is has made any substantial difference to date? Didn't you see the Flint Journal editorial that suggested Flint Club should start doing something that has actual impact?

As far as Dayne's abilities, there will likely be other candidates who have organizational experience, political and people skills. The key difference will be that they have also been here and done that over the years.

For Dayne's sake, I hope he doesn't follow your advice and run as the smartest kid in class. That usually doesn't work in politics. Ask John Kerry and Al Gore.

For what it's worth, I think Dayne should do some volunteer work, get on some boards, and make a success of Flint Club before deciding to run for Mayor.
Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:52 pm 
Chris

Will Dayne Wallin take a salary as mayor?
Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:39 pm 
Jack

Will Dayne Walling Take a salary if hell frooze over and he became Mayor???? Will you Dayne?
Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:43 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Jack schreef:
Will Dayne Walling Take a salary if hell frooze over and he became Mayor???? Will you Dayne?

hey Dane i don't know you from Adam....or Eve.

i don't give a damn if you take a salary or not if you were to be elected.

And I sure don't think it has anything to do with your credentials and ability to be mayor.

i guess to some it is, just like some people won't vote for a candidate if they are the wrong race, religion, age, etc....some people have requirements that have nothing to do with discharging the responsibilities of office.

I say let any and all apply, run and let the voters sort it out.

Post Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:13 pm 
Kathy

Dayne needs to do more for Flint, than run a Political Action Committee ( PAC ) a.k.a The Flint Club.
Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:56 pm 
John W.

More and More people are saying that, and more and more I am starting to believe that.
Post Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:46 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: