FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: 2007 Mayoral Elections
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

To followup with Dudette

Who was the party that ran Flint into the ground? Flint was doing great under Republican Leadership. We've tried liberalism. I think perhaps it is time to go back to conserve pro-business strategies. Republicans are the party of big medium and small business. Businesses create real jobs.
Mayor Stanley is a good example of liberal strategies. He protected black and white democrats from various annoying businesses (JOBS!!!) operating out of the home.
Jackie Poplar is also annoyed by succesful home business activity.

For the record from everything I've read we used to have a lot business creation going on under our Republican leadership in Flint.

As far as civil rights go the Republican party was formed to fight slavery. If your a racist and hate blacks you should definately support the democratic party because abortion has already killed 14 million blacks. The democrats target African Americans by putting abortion clinics in black neighborhoods. A black child is about 3 times as likely to die in an abortion clinic. If you hate black people and want less blacks people alive you should definately support the democratic party and their pro-abortion platform.

There are some anti-gay extremists in the Republican party but I think that's the minority although the majority myself included don't support gay marriage.

Without jobs I think Democrats in Flint will eventually be forced to follow in the footsteps of New York City. Businesses create jobs. Not social welfare programs.
Post Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:19 pm 
zcflint05

Did you just say that Democrats are trying to kill black people?

Wow, you have a LONG way to being elected in any office. You better hope this message board isn't around in a year when the elections start going on, because if this statement goes public, you will never win a public office in your entire life.
Post Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:35 am 
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
And I bet he never met the three above, who I doubt comprise the core of the republican party. Its a nice try to take the words or actions of a very few [and don't the democrats have people on the extreme fringe as well] and try to paint the masses as the same. But you can not argue from the specific to the general. You can only argue from the general to the specific.

Trent Lott was the SENATE MAJORITY LEADER! Jesse Helms was the CHAIRMAN of the SENATE FOREIGN RELATIONS COMMITTEE!

These are two of the most powerful positions in Washington and the Republicans picked these guys as REPRESENTATIVES of their PARTY.

What part of the country do you live? The part where everyone is under a rock?

Sigh.
Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:49 pm 
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Peter J schreef:
Mr. VanZandt: Unless my math is wrong, you make the case for me. As you indicate, Dayne has been gone from Flint since 1992, first at school and then working in other cities (DC and Minneapolis). I believe that's 14 years. Sorry, but living somewhere else for 14 years and reading The Journal on Mlive doesn't count as living in Flint. Pete

Oh my dear god... So let me get this straight. Anyone who graduated from a Flint school and went to, say, Harvard, Yale, Oxford, or Princeton, cannot run Flint because "they left to go to school?"

And since when does Flint top Washington DC for political experience? Have you lost your mind?

You have Flint disease, sir. Please read this article so you can cure yourself.

http://www.downtownflint.com:8080/df/FMPro?-db=content.pro&-format=global%5farticle%5fdetail.htm&-lay=web&-sortfield=issue&-sortorder=descend&owner=uncommon%20sense&keyword=flint%20disease&-recid=36913&-find=
Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:15 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
roscoevanzandt schreef:
quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
And I bet he never met the three above, who I doubt comprise the core of the republican party. Its a nice try to take the words or actions of a very few [and don't the democrats have people on the extreme fringe as well] and try to paint the masses as the same. But you can not argue from the specific to the general. You can only argue from the general to the specific.

Trent Lott was the SENATE MAJORITY LEADER! Jesse Helms was the CHAIRMAN of the SENATE FOREIGN RELATIONS COMMITTEE!

These are two of the most powerful positions in Washington and the Republicans picked these guys as REPRESENTATIVES of their PARTY.

What part of the country do you live? The part where everyone is under a rock?

Sigh.

Double sigh.

I see your MO with your ad hominen attack....he who feels it necessary to belittles his opponent really has no merit in his own argument.

I'd suggest you might find it more comfortable on the MLive forum Mr VanZandt, thats how they prefer to discuss things there. That is if you aren't interested in an actual exchange of ideas.

You still haven't supported your claim. I'm waiting to see the documentation, under, over and around the rock.

Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:45 pm 
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

@Biggie9

The only papers I read are The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, and The Uncommon Sense.

Roscoe Van Zant is a very nice dude and I didn't mean to levy an ad hominem attack. But by claiming two of the most powerful Republicans ever are not "typical" of the Republican Party is to say you really don't know your Elephants (or your Donkeys).

I went to the 2004 Republican National Convention. I know Republicans.

We have to meet on common ground. You have to earn your right to sit at the debate table, which means you need to do your homework. All in all, no biggie. Sorry for the pun, I could not resist. Smile

As for "documentation" that's like asking for proof the earth goes around the sun. Res ipsa loquitur! The titles of the individuals who I named speak for themselves!
Post Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:48 pm 
Julie

Boys... Boys... Boys.... Can't we all just get along and all support the person who is taking FLINT MICHIGAN to the next level? Can't we all just support the man who is at the wheel of FLINT's re birth? Lets not boot him out of office and let some young guy into office.

Lets give him another full 4 years. Lets give him the c hance to continue his proven sucess.

RE ELECT DON WILLIAMSON! THE FUTURE STARTS NOW!
Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:27 pm 
frank

Well Julie, we'll get grilled for this, but I hope he get's re-elected again.
Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:12 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Julie schreef:
Boys... Boys... Boys.... Can't we all just get along and all support the person who is taking FLINT MICHIGAN to the next level? Can't we all just support the man who is at the wheel of FLINT's re birth? Lets not boot him out of office and let some young guy into office.

Lets give him another full 4 years. Lets give him the c hance to continue his proven sucess.

RE ELECT DON WILLIAMSON! THE FUTURE STARTS NOW!

I'm sorry But what Rebirth are you talking about? The rebirth of Crime? up 30 percent in just his first two years! Constantly lying to citizens, violating City Ordinances. The only thing he has done that he can take credit for are the increasing crime rate, spending more money for city services and supplies and paving the streets.

Personally, I'd rather complain about the streets not being paved than have to worry about my house being broken into or car stolen. Which brings me to another point. Thanks to the Don you are now fined for getting your car stolen in Flint. THen to add insult to injury they won't even investigate it!

I'm glad it's a free country... Naww I'll keep that one to myself. The best thing about opinions is. You don't have to have any facts, truth or even common sense to have one.
Post Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Jones

Would you rather have Adam Ford or Don Williamson in the mayors office?

I pick MAYOR DON!
Post Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:46 pm 
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

There is clearly going to be more mayoral choices in 2007. People are fed up and mobilized. It's gonna be a hell of an exciting time.

Don is just a small-time country bumpkin that was in the right place at the right time. His 15 minutes are over.
Post Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:21 pm 
Jack

15 mins? Well, you see Mayor Don Williamson is gearing up his RE ELECTION CAMPAIGN already.. He is going to win again, BIG time.

Mayor Williamson Doesn't take a salary, will Dayne Walling, Dale Weighill or Frank Manley take a salary?
Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:42 am 
Ted J

quote:
Jack schreef:
Mayor Williamson Doesn't take a salary, will Dayne Walling, Dale Weighill or Frank Manley take a salary?

Is there a point to be made here?
Hmm I would rather have someone with intellgence enough not to waste a quarter of a million doolars more for garbage trucks, one twenty thousand more on Tahoes, lose 1.4 million in hud money... And the list goes on.

It would be more economical to pay a mayor that doesn't waste money like this guy does/has.
Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:49 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Jack schreef:
15 mins? Well, you see Mayor Don Williamson is gearing up his RE ELECTION CAMPAIGN already.. He is going to win again, BIG time.

Jack, could you tell me WHY the fact the donald doesn't take a salary is so important and an important criteria for office?

If you did a job, wouldn't you expect fair compensation [especially since the compensation is set by another party]?

What is it about people not taking compensation that makes them more qualified for an elective office?

I am absolutely curious about this perspective and hope you will respond.

I used to hear the donald on Dave Barber's show, extol the fact that he takes a dollar a year; brings his own toilet paper [more info than I wanted to know; but he didn't say if he used it on city time or his own] and used his own cell phone. Dave always thought that was great, but I never understood why that things were so desireable? I mean the previous administrations didn't drive the city to bankrupcty because they were stuffing city owned rolls of toilet paper down their pants for personal use. They drove the city down for an entirely different set of behaviors, none related to their taking a salary or not.

If the calculus is that rich people don't need the salary; then so what? What if a better qualified candidate was available who did need the salary to support their family..should we take the "rich guy" even if he wasn't as qualified? If thats so then let us return to a fuedal society where only the rich are deemed acceptable to lead/rule....we should vote only for millionaires then?

If the belief is the rich would be less likely to be corrupted and take advantage of their position, I'd suggest you seriously underestimate the human condition. Rich folks may be less likely to do "favors" for small favors...they'll do them for LARGE favors. Its already being intimated that the donald sees to it his friends get favorable contracts. For kick-backs? hardly. More likely for future considerations when the donald needs to call in some markers...perhaps to help fo a future election, perhaps to assist a child, perhaps to help his dealership, or get favorable treatment for a business in the future, whatever. I have seen many rich people still focus on amassing more wealth. And then there are some who switch from accumulating more money to accumulating more POWER. They are more dangerous than those out for the cash.

To believe that rich people are immune to being corrupted by power is to forget many of the terrible leaders throughout history. [you know guys like Napoleon] and to forget human nature also.

So why is not taking a salary a predictor of being a successful mayor?

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:12 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

WELL SAID!

the workman is worthy of his nourishment.!
Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: