FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: 2007 Mayoral Elections
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
arturo

Well we already have Adam Ford and Dayne Walling as potential candidates, but I really hope the Mayor wins this election. I say continue the course and let the man do his job. I mean don’t get me wrong, Dayne Walling is a nice guy, but I don't think its his time, at least now, to run for Mayor, especially against Williamson.

Well and then Adam Ford... I have nothing against him personally, he just doesn’t seem to me like mayor material. I mean he isn't successful, in my eyes, financially, politically and family wise. He's barely makes 30k, he isn't married, has no kids and is politically inexperienced. And his physical appearance, in my eyes, aren't mayor material either. I mean, he looks a lil scrawny, nerdy, not a real strong voice, at least from what I see at city council meetings.
Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:58 pm 
Wood Ether

Well, yeah Ex-Con Don isn't exactly mayoral material either. I mean the guy's got a rap sheet. Under his leadership he did pave my street and improve trash pickup. But yeah, he is NUTS.
Dayne has potential but he reeks of Matt Collier- wunderkind great white hope returns to save city. His focus on downtown is bass-ackwards. Dayne needs to play down the East Village/Downtown schtick and meet the needs of the neighborhoods first.
Adam Ford, I dunno the guy just seems sort of immature (politically) and predictable. Doesn't seem to have any platform of his own, just kind of parrots alot of Republican positions. I can't comment on his appearance too much- I'm no looker myself- but his thumbnail photo looks like Dracula.
Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:10 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Wood Ether schreef:
Well, yeah Ex-Con Don isn't exactly mayoral material either. I mean the guy's got a rap sheet. Under his leadership he did pave my street and improve trash pickup. But yeah, he is NUTS.
Dayne has potential but he reeks of Matt Collier- wunderkind great white hope returns to save city. His focus on downtown is bass-ackwards. Dayne needs to play down the East Village/Downtown schtick and meet the needs of the neighborhoods first.
Adam Ford, I dunno the guy just seems sort of immature (politically) and predictable. Doesn't seem to have any platform of his own, just kind of parrots alot of Republican positions. I can't comment on his appearance too much- I'm no looker myself- but his thumbnail photo looks like Dracula.

IMO, people voted for the donald because he was willing to put his money where his mouth was, cleaning up and rebuilding the infrastructure of a city that had been ignored too long by incompetent administrations. And he did. He focused on cleaning up neighborhoods, attending to peoples complaints. And if he couldn't get it done through the normal channels of local gov't red tape, then he did it through his shadow government located down the street. And he did so expeditiously and effectively.
But as any autocrat, he is burning up his political goodwill at a significant rate and he will only last as long as there are still significant problems that the people feel he is best suited to face. Once his liabilities & gaffes [arresting newspaper carriers, costing $$ by not settling suits, losing grant $$, etc] exceed his results & benefits the people will turn him out, like Great Britain did to Churchill once the crisis of WWII was over. Just too much baggage for the electorate to put up with.

Is that time 2007? Probably not, but if the donald continues to put more shekels on the negative side of the balance sheet, who knows. The irony is, the more effective he is now, the sooner he'll be voted out as fewer problems will remain for him to solve and his negatives will outweigh his future/potential benefits for retaining him. [ok, lets not forget he could probably drop dead of heart disease or some other ailment; he's well into his 70's and quite overweight].

His management style [Attila the Hun and Stalin would be proud], & public image do him no good service. But people swallow hard, grin and bear it as long as they can see tangible improvements to the city and performance improvements in services. After all, it usually isn't "us" he's insulting or treating rudely; its some poor schmuck delivering newspapers, a recalcitrant politician, or rude incompetent civil servant. Its NOT us he is demeaning...but when he does it to enough of "us's"..thats when he'll go; not before.

As far as "looks" of anyone goes, its still a sad day that our society still predicates so much emotional investment and interest into people based on the supeficiality of "looks". But perhaps that's the way it will always be. One style of leadership relys on charisma to influence the people and looks certainly play a part in that style of leadership. I wouldn't attribute the donald's much less Stalin's or Attila's management style as charismatic but then you may differ on that score. To me, the donalds appearance is less than regal. He looks more like a crusty old cob with a weakness for doughnuts.

Wonder where he buys his bell-bottom shirts anyway?

Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:36 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Talk about needing change in leadership. Oops, let me rephrase that, Talk about needing some leadership. We currently have a Mayor who eludes to a plan for the City that is non existent. Who hasn't shown us one leadership trait or at least attempted one that is recognizable. J.J. DID TIE BUCKLE. If you don’t know what it is search for it. Ahh, better yet here’s a link. http://www.cityofflint.net/usmc_leadership.htm

People are talking about replacing Gov Granholm, because we need change. I’m not a big democrat supporter. However, I don’t blame her for the economy that Engler left her. Is Devos really that great of a leader or will he be able to provide better leadership? Or will we end up with even more useless and senseless laws and rules like we got under the Engler Administration. You know the ones. The ones that determine your insurance rating more by your credit score than your predictability of making a claim? Or coming up with the idea of providing local governments with grants to fight such hardened criminals as Soccer Moms not wearing their seat belts. (which has continued under Granholm) Maybe even come up with another way to raise sales tax and property taxes at the same time by calling it a tax cut?

I’m not too excited about the State level republicans I’ve seen here in YEARS. Devos seems to be just another one.
Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:34 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

Ted, the donald's leadership style is more "school-yard bully" than USMC

I am sure he is loyal to his friends, whomever they may be. The problem is he sees ANYONE who even questions his decisions/actions as enemies to be treated vindictively and harshly. All that does is make scores of neutral people into hardened enemies. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Cross him once and you are eliminated. I am still in awe of the dept head he fired because they went to a seminar/conference despite his travel ban for city officials. The fact they went on their own dime and own time didn't seem to matter to the donald. Apparently his work rules extend to people's personal time and lives.

Wow. Who wouldn't to work for a leader like that? Rolling Eyes

Post Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:26 am 
nate132

I think Don Williamson is just what this city dosent need for more years of.Crime and corruption are two of this cities largest foes and i do not think that a former felon is the one to turn it around.
Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:03 pm 
Tomtom

I agree with the previous statement , No way to DW and dayne walling is far too recent of a resident and needs to live and work in the community much longer before he thinks of running. Im supporting Dale Weighill for mayor if he runs.
Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:06 pm 
Prestin

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:

People are talking about replacing Gov Granholm, because we need change. I’m not a big democrat supporter. However, I don’t blame her for the economy that Engler left her. Is Devos really that great of a leader or will he be able to provide better leadership? Or will we end up with even more useless and senseless laws and rules like we got under the Engler Administration.

You are exactly right, DeVos is just another Republican whose promises are all fluff. Bush will be in town Friday headlining GOP fund-raisers except of course for DeVos, who is staying away from the president until Election Day. Thought you might be interested in this new ad. http://www.michigandems.com/plans.html

Two very different approaches to leadership.
Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:35 am 
Ted J

Real Leadership! J.J. DID TIE BUCKLE! http://www.cityofflint.net/usmc_leadership.htm

WHen Flint get's it. Things will get better. When the State get';s it THings will get better. When washington get's it things will get better!
Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:26 pm 
guest2006

who is this dale weighill?
Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:48 pm 
tomtom

The Resource Center runs a youth volunteerism program called Greater Flint Youth Leadership (GFYL). Students spend five months (meeting once a month for a full day) learning about the Flint/Genesee County community, developing leadership skills, and working as volunteers on projects for local nonprofit agencies. The program has grown in size from 45 students (sophomores and juniors) three years ago to more than 120 participants in 2003.

Recently, more than 100 of the GFYL participants spent a day painting and cleaning buildings/homes for Salem Housing Task Force, a Flint-based nonprofit that works to provide affordable housing to low income residents. In 2002, the Resource Center's Greater Flint Youth Leadership program was identified by a local children's advocacy agency as the outstanding “organization or program that provides children with opportunities to give back to the community through volunteerism.”

Dale Weighill, Resource Center (Flint)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:50 pm 
philanthropiclady

Here is a couple of the organizations that Mr. Weighill belongs to.

www.pointsoflight.org/centers/council/weighill.cfm

http://www.pointsoflight.org/about/mediacenter/tothepoint/2005/06/feature_vcnn.cfm

http://www.mnaonline.org/board.asp
Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:59 pm 
guest003

I went to the website that was posted on here and found this question and answer that was apparently answered by Mr. Weighill.......

VOLUNTEER CENTER NATIONAL NETWORK COUNCIL

Dale Weighill, Chair
Executive Director
Resource Center
1401 S. Grand Traverse
Flint, MI 48503

How did you first get interested in volunteering?
I have always had a strong affinity for public service, especially in terms of politics and political advocacy. I think my non-political volunteer activities (which I now spend most of my time on) are an outgrowth of my initial interest in volunteering on political campaigns. I teach American government part-time at our local community college, and I am always telling my students that true citizenship entails more than voting. It has to involve some kind of voluntary service to others.

What type of volunteering activities do you enjoy?
I like helping people, and my preference is to work with someone directly as opposed to serving on a board of directors. When I was in graduate school at American University in Washington, DC, I served as a volunteer reader for a young, visually disabled man. I do the same now on a weekly basis for a woman here in Flint.

Who are your heroes?
Abraham Lincoln; Nelson Mandela; Frederick Douglass; Martin Luther King, Jr.
Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:09 pm 
flintgirl0478

I am disgusted that resident of Flint would think that the Don is doing a good job. He's completely ineffective. He ran on a campaign to clean up the city and stuck his name on the job that was already being done by Citizen's Nusience Taskforce. He claims he's paving streets, but most of that was set in motion several years a head of time. He continues to lose grant money because he doesn't understand how it's supposed to be monitored. Many of the major foundations won't give money to the city because it is mismanaged. The mayor's city parks campaign came to a screeching halt when his wife lost the election. Does this man follow through on anything? I asked the man who was working at the election station for Pasty Lou why he was there... because if he worked a shift at the election the major would forgive his tax debt on his city of Flint property. Are you Kidding me? This is not how my city services it's constituents. But so few of us will put our money where our mouth is and get involved. Anybody been out picking up litter lately?
Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:46 pm 
Wood Ether

Don IS a corrupt screwjob, but like I said my street was paved and garbage pickup improved during his tenure. As a true flintboy this was at least something that had gotten better over the previous 15 years or so. Of course Ex-Con Don is not entirely responsible, but if you've lived in Flint for any length of time you begin to acknowledge even minor improvements.
Maybe I'm a defeatist, but I'm not counting on Dale Weighill or Dane Walling with his downtown gentrification money pit fixation to be anymore effective. Sure Dane may garner more funds and grants, but where will the $$ go? Widening sidewalks for downtown cafes, beautifying streets, giving money away to universities, creating a citywide wifi network, subsidizing bogus yuppie new urbanist condos, and consolidating all efffort to a relatively small portion of the city that is meaningless to 99% of Flint residents. It's the neighborhoods stupid! New urbanist Flint is another Autoworld, Water St, Windmill Place scam waiting to happen. Fix the sewers, repair the roads, attract some employers, hire more cops, and compel the universities to atleast begin to act like they are a part of the greater Flint community instead of the self-serving profiteers that they are. Never voted for Don, but I don't see anybody who looks like they would be much better. Less embarrassing? Yes. Better? meh...
Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:00 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: