FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Walling Violating the Flint City Charter
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Mayor Walling is worried folks are getting upset with him about violating FCC. Mayor Walling has failed to hire a Civil Service Director and the Charter calls for one to be in place. The Last good Civil Service Director we had was Tracy Collier Nix. Some employees have no place to go to file a complaint. This includes both hurley and City of Flint employees.

Where is Alex Harris when all this shit is going down? Why isn't the resident and people like Eric Mayor or Ryan Eashoo getting involved with this? Where is Ted J? Josh Freeman is aware of this but not taking action.
Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Charter? Rules? That's for the little people, not the elites.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

FlintCityMole- I agree. I too have heard laments about the lack of a Civil Service Director and employees rights being trampled.

Don't worry about Josh. He is probably laying out his plans . He has spoken out about Walling not getting his appointments approved by council. You noticed only 4 council signed Walling's "symbolic pact". Trouble is brewing.
Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:31 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Walling reorganized and created new titles without the permission of council. I have never heard of these new titles?

Sec. 4-203 EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS.
A. The City shall, in accordance with law, create such executive departments as may be necessary to administer the responsibilities of the City for public safety, public works, utilities, parks and

recreation, transportation including aviation, finance, community development, and environmental protection.

B. The City may, in accordance with law, on recommendation of the Mayor, create and reorganize departments as may be necessary to meet the needs of the citizens for public services and facilities.

C. The head of each department shall be appointed by the Mayor in accordance with law and with the approval of the City Council and shall serve at the pleasure of the Mayor.

D. There shall be not more than ten (10) executive departments.

(Adopted by the electorate, 11-5-74)
Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:14 am 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

What does Josh Freeman think of this????
Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:02 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

This ordinance covers appointees not department heads. They are illegal hires if their title and salary has not been approved by council:

ARTICLE XXI. PRINCIPAL STAFF OFFICIALS

§ 2-170 MAXIMUM NUMBER OF POSITIONS.
In accordance with § 4-202(b) of the Flint City Charter, the Mayor is hereby authorized to create

additional staff official positions, and their responsibilities, in the manner provided in this article, provided however, that there shall be no more than ten principal staff officials serving at the pleasure of the Mayor.

(Ord. 3195, passed 2-24-92)

§ 2-171 RESOLUTION AND DESCRIPTION REQUIRED.
Except as otherwise provided in this article, the Mayor shall, at least 30 days before a principal staff official position is created under this article, submit a resolution to the City Council stating the title and description of responsibilities of each such position.

§ 2-172 DURATION OF POSITION.
A principal staff official position created under this article and approved by the City Council by adoption of a resolution shall continue until terminated, or its responsibilities are consolidated with another principal staff official position created under this article by the Mayor. The Mayor shall submit prior written notice of the termination of a principal official staff position, or the consolidation of the responsibilities of principal official staff positions created under this article, to the City Council.

§ 2-173 EXPANSION OF RESPONSIBILITIES.
The Mayor may expand the responsibilities of a principal official staff position appointed under § 4-202a of the Flint City Charter or created under this article. In no event shall a principal official staff position be paid more than one salary for the expanded and/or consolidated responsibilities. The Mayor shall submit prior written notice of the expanded responsibilities of a principal official staff position to the City Council.

§ 2-174 CREATION OF AUTHORIZED POSITIONS.
Within 15 days of the effective date of this article the Mayor may submit appropriate resolution(s) to the City Council identifying the title and description of the responsibilities of any position authorized to be created under this article, which position shall then have immediate effect. Thereafter, any position authorized under this article shall be created as prescribed in § 2-171.

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:41 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I am watching the Dec. 21, 2009 council meeting and it was Neeley and Loyd who challenged the newly formed Neighborhood Services Dept. and loyd even quoted the charter. I laughed when City Atty. Peter Bade stated he thought the Administration did not have to go before council to reorganize. The codes were recently revised so I am assuming the codes on the internet are accurate.
Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:56 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Things got worse in the televised council meeting. Council rules have always been followed, much to the chagrin of previous council, that an issue once voted down can only be brought up for reconsideration by someone on the victorious side. Despite Inez's reading of the rules and bringing up Robert's Rules, Peter Bade and Josh Freeman allowed the Oak Business Center to be brought up improperly. Inez told them this set a dangerous precedent. The motion still failed and the money went to code enforcement.
Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:21 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Things got worse in the televised council meeting. Council rules have always been followed, much to the chagrin of previous council, that an issue once voted down can only be brought up for reconsideration by someone on the victorious side. Despite Inez's reading of the rules and bringing up Robert's Rules, Peter Bade and Josh Freeman allowed the Oak Business Center to be brought up improperly. Inez told them this set a dangerous precedent. The motion still failed and the money went to code enforcement.

You're wrong.

While Roberts Rules do mandate that a motion to reconsider must be made from someone on the victorious side, the current Council rules allow for any member to make a motion for reconsideration.
Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

wow....this is interesting....so are you saying code enforcement got refunded?.......wow...

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:42 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Josh- there have been arguments in the past and the motion always had to come from the victorious side. I can remember kerry nelson being upset. You guys need to be consistent and not change the standards at whim!
Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:12 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Josh- there have been arguments in the past and the motion always had to come from the victorious side. I can remember kerry nelson being upset. You guys need to be consistent and not change the standards at whim!

I can't speak to how things were done in the past.

Get a copy of the current Council rules. It clearly states that any member can make the motion to reconsider.
Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:22 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

The weekly rules change?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:10 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Josh

These rules of council were not easy to get before and had to be FOIA'd which took nearly a month. Does the charter still apply and can these rules be obtained. Also you were on council before and know past practices. Have the rules changed?

Sec. 1-802 COMPILATION OF RULES, POLICIES AND PROCEDURES.
A. Within one (1) year of the effective date of this Charter, the City shall compile all rules, policies and procedures in effect at that time whether or not adopted in accordance with Section 1-801 of this Charter.

B. Thereafter, new rules, policies and procedures shall be incorporated as soon as practicable after their adoption.

C. Copies of said compiled rules, policies and procedures shall be (1) furnished to City officers, (2) placed in libraries and public offices for free public reference, and (3) made available for purchase by the public at a reasonable price fixed by the City.

(Adopted by the electorate, 11-5-74)
Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:47 am 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Rule 22.1 of the City Council Rules states:

"Any Councilperson may make a motion to reconsider any decision of the City Council at the same meeting or not later than the next succeeding regular meeting of the Council provided that notice has been given to the Council prior to the start of the meeting."

I say check the "current" Council rules because we are in the processing of amending our Rules.
Post Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:30 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: