FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: FLINT SCHOOL BOARD IS RACIST
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
David

THE FLINT SCHOOL BOARD PICKS CANIDATES BASED ON COLOR. THEY PICK ALL BLACKS. THEY PICKED THAT GIRL JUST CAUSE SHE WAS BLACK, HAD A BIG CHEST. I LIKE BARZART.
Post Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:54 pm 
ellwoodflint

David,

I agree I liked brazart too, but he was black also. Do not use a word like racist unless you are willing to prove it. I agree in alot of circumstances it does seem that way sometimes, but it is purely politics. I know Tracy Fountain and she is gonna stir that mix up.
She is qualified and she has kids in the schools.
Besides, this district is over 80% black and less than 20% white. I would like to see a hispanic etc to make it a little more equal to the district, but there are only so many that are willing to do the job.
Don't get mad, just stay informed
Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:56 pm 
Karen

I wanted Barzart or Eashoo.
Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:49 am 
Karen

I wanted Barzart or Eashoo. They picked miss fountain cause she looked pretty. Also she kept, refering to the "milton" plan. Milton is God, in her eyes. Milton was smiling the whole time while she spoke. I bet there might be a little hanky panky going on soon.
Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:50 am 
ellwoodflint

please, don't turn this into that other chat room with unfounded rumors.
i think you'll be surprised.
Fountains mom is the head of the SEIU.
which milton wants to outsource....
stay informed
Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:43 am 
Adam

Ryan Eashoo was running?
Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:21 pm 
Adam

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-38/1157035825235850.xml&coll=5

FLINT - A former corrections officer who said she hopes to increase parental involvement and academic excellence is the newest addition to the Flint Board of Education.

After four rounds of voting Wednesday night, Tracey Fountain, 37, beat seven other contenders for the board seat that Lisa Walker vacated earlier this month.

At Ypsilanti's Huron Valley Center, the psychiatric unit of the Huron Valley state prison, Fountain said she has seen what absent parents and poor educational infrastructures can do. A lack of academic opportunities and little support from the community foster behavior that lands kids in correctional institutions, she said.

"There needs to be an intervention of our youth," she said, "and it starts with community activities and establishing familial support for them."

Fountain, who has a son and daughter in the school system, is a manager with the state's Department of Human Services. She is a graduate of Northern High School and holds a bachelor and master's degree from the University of Michigan-Flint.

Board President Stephanie Robb-Martin said Fountain's DHS experience and her eight years as a corrections officer will add an important perspective to the board.

"She will complement this board and strengthen us," Robb-Martin said. "As a corrections officer, she's aware of so many of the issues that young people face."

Fountain said Flint students don't have to be the victims of unequal educational opportunities, and the community should embrace School Superintendent Walter Milton Jr.'s reform plan, which includes employing more facilitators to control truancy and building new facilities.

"I understand that people

aren't used to change, but our academic system has been behind other school systems', and we are still in need of change," she said. "This change is going to have a positive impact in (the students') lives in the near future. The old way has not worked for the majority of our students, and it's time that we commit to educational reform."

Robb-Martin said the selection of candidates for the position was outstanding, but the board's system of interviewing needs to change. During Wednesday's interview, each candidate was asked eight designated questions, with each board member asking one question.

"We need a sounder process," said board Secretary Raymond Hatter. "This restricts us from asking follow-up questions."

Robb-Martin said a decision will be made within the next day for when Fountain can be officially sworn in. Fountain's term will expire in May 2007.

Other candidates were Eleazar D. Barzart, Loria A. Corder, Ryan M. Eashoo, David D. Halboth, the Rev. Larry Higgins, Adam Kurtz-Tipton and Carrie Younger-Nelson.
Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:59 pm 
Dave

Ellwood you know the Drama, B.S. that the school board is infested with. Ms. Fountain is a "Yes' girl. She looks pretty, but she is not gonna make a big difference on that board.

She talked about "her son of color", and she talked about his grade point average. She kept saying " The Milton Plan", his plan. Its culture poverty. We don't need anymore people on that board that talk about race all the time. I fed up with it.

The President of the board is not very nice, and we need to replace her. Mr. Herbert " My sign will sign your basketball" Cleeves doesn't know didley squat. He sleeps at meetings, talks about B.S. and creates problems on the board.

Do I need to go on?
Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:58 pm 
ellwoodflint

Im sorry, but i dont recognize you. I will tell you what i think though.

Fountain is in for a shock, just like any new member that gets a seat on that board.
She was the only candidate that is familiar with the politics of the position though. My only concern with her is that she may believe in giving fish instead of teaching how to fish. She is more qualified to sit there than most. I've talked to her on several occasions and I know her mom. If the politics don't consume her like it did robb-martin we'll be surprised.
Cleaves has been on the outs for awhile. he has passed his time and will be voted out in 07.
Perry will fight for the north end of flint with all she has and no-one else.
Hatter and Jordan actually care about all the kids as well as Dr. Doherty but he will be retiring also.
Mcmobley has had health issues and will also retire i think come 07. we will have 4 more seats to look at.
I also liked brazart, but he is very young and i told him i hoped he would stay involved and try again.
if there was a chosen person that people should be upset about, it should have been the girl Leverette. She was personally asked to run by the board president. never had attended board meetings and had to research what the job entailed. This is your yes person.
Yes, I do understand the crap down there, but i also know how difficult it is to seperate a desicion made to benifit the district and one to benifit your own neighborhood. If you know me , than you know I am privy to information because I take time to go downtown and ask questions . I look at the data and numbers.
I believe the direction and the changes made in the district are nessesary to build new schools and make our students education better. I do not like the way it was instituted or the politics they have played since with the mistakes they have made. Due to the course they have chose to take, it will show improvement in about 4-5 years in our overall numbers for graduation. My biggest concern are those students who are caught up in the crossfire of transition until then.
Exactly what is the complaint by everyone? I understand few like uniforms.
i understand why they asked for it, but as usual they halfassed it by making it k-9th only and putting all responsibility on the building to uphold it with no policy to pull for those who refuse.
We don't like the buildings closing. They have to meet requirements to recieve monies from a fortune 500 co. to build new schools. they know they will not get a milliage until we see improvement.
We don't like the classroom and curriculum change. just because somthing is more difficult at first doesnt mean it is a bad thing. I expect high things from my kids and they respond.
AS a parent these changes are difficult on me but my kids are adjusting well. If you were in charge of making this district jump into the 20th century and had to make choices to better ALL students, what would you have decided differently.
For me, the process would have been different, but i do understand why we are making the changes. I am not standing up for this school districts leadership, but i am trying to promote an understanding of why things are done so that folks like "Karen" can perhaps contribute a better way instead of just slamming the district with nothing behind it.
My questions for everyone.what would you do?
Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:49 pm 
Dudette

Ellwood I prasie your involment. However, this school board is a joke. Founatin may care, but lacks the polish to make it happen.

I think you should run, and like the guy above you said, Barzert or Eashoo would be great peoples to run, along with yourself. All three of you care about Flint. You have been working hard for a long time too Ellwood on Flint Schools.
Post Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:17 pm 
ellwoodflint

Thank-you, I just recognize that the students sitting next to my kids are their future neighbors and desicion makers.
If everyone would realize that helping all students is the best way to help your own I believe things would be different.
As for right now, I have a problem with my husbands employment. He's a designer for a co. that contracts work from the auto makers. Unfortunatly, they are sending work to india and have offered us buy-outs.
This is why i didnt run last time, im not sure ill be here and that would not be fair to anyone.
Please remeber that parents and community members have more power than they think. You just have to make it important enough to educate yourself on the facts of the system, and have patience to endure with alternatives instead of getting angry.
My biggest wish for this district is that parents come together with an understanding so all of our kids can benifit. Not just the elite few.
Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:51 am 
Fred

We need new buildings, until then Flint Schools will continue to lose students!
Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:02 pm 
ellwoodflint

thats why we have all the restructuring going on.
Milton was hired on with a #1 priority of building new schools.
our money is not regulated because we get it through proposal A not property tax so it fluctuates. everyone here wants new buildings but won't pass a bond or milliage proposal to do it, so in order to get monies from a fortune 500 co. we need to meet certain requirements, so that is what is happening.
Tell me, if there is money for 1 new school, where should it be built?
Post Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:43 am 
Phil

I am for it, but voted against it last time. I DON"T TRUST THOSE PEOPLE ON THAT SCHOOL BOARD. EXCEPT DR. DOUGHERTY!
Post Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:14 pm 
Judy

Micki Strebys article in todays journal hit the nail on the head! WAY TO GO MICKI!!
Post Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:16 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: