FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: 8 million for Genesse Towers-Wow!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

untanglingwebs, Hmmm, that seems possible, I did recieve notification they received the complaint. But later I received notification they "investigate" it. I don't think they did more than just asked what the Judge did. They didn't actually check any of the sources. Otherwise I don't feel they could have come to any other conclusion that I did.

It was improper and illegal.

But I guess as I've always said. The laws weren't written to be enforced on everyone. just us working stiffs that can pay the fines.

My whole problem with the judicial system and lawmakers that hold to the premise that "they only write the laws, they don't enforce them" That's a "COP OUT" in my book. Since they also hold the purse strings for whether there is money to enforce all these laws they claim are to protect us. Notice I said "CLAIM" If they were really protecting citizens they wouldn't charge bars for staying open past 2 and would encourage them to stay open, serve breakfast and wiat to close until their drunk crowd actually left Sober. But then they wouldn't make so much money on Drunk Driving and the MADD people wouldn't be getting paid off by the courts to educate the drunk drivers on the hazards of what they do. Why would MADD want to rock the boat when they are making money off Drunk Drivers. Just like Right to Life. Would they want want to really end Abortion. THey would be out of a job, I've covered that on my show also.
Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Drunks are obnoxious at 2 am so why let them drink until 4 am. This is as bad as the time they lowered the drinking age.

My friend studied the Judicial Tenure compliant and found out how to word her complaint. That is what made the difference.

Hayman is interesting. He was Treasurer of a Republican Pac in Grand Blanc but Granholm seems to favor him. He doesn't disuss his politics, which is probably proper for a judge. He does not coddle wrongdoers.

I understood his position in the Poplar case. He was upset that Joubran admitted to attempting to bribe the Prosecutors office to stop the investigation of Amber Parrish's complaint that she had sex with Joubran when she was underage and was given immunity from prosecution. Busch had Tanay from the AG's office witness Parrish's interview. I did feel she should have received a harsher sentence.

Poplar conned Joubran, but Joubran admitted to bribery. Read the Appeals Court decision. Oddly Joubran's daughter hired Poplar in their real estate office after the trial. I always wondered about the federal raid that allegedly took place at the office.
Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:26 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

untanglingwebs, I said what I meant but not everything. What I didn't say was stop serving alcohol at 2 and allow the bar to stay open and serve breakfast. The requires another license that many bar owners don't feel is worth the money. But, if it didn't cost so much and was encouraged by the State to actually save life's.

ll bet many bars would try it. But if they did. But, I'm betting the drunk driving rate would go down and the state courts would loose money, MADD would loose money,
Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Lets talk about the positive redeveolpment options for the property.

Post Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Reopen it and reopen the University Club.
Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:41 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Good idea Adam!

Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

If it is reopened, who will make sure the building is safe? At one time extension cords ran to the elevators. Any building vacant this log will need extensive repairs.

Read today's Flint Journal Opinion page.
Post Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:58 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

We can put the Flint police right on it. The can keep the Genesee Towers safe just like the north end of Flint. I'd probably take the stairs but other than that who cares.

Is there a link to the opnion page? What was it about? Can you give us the cliff notes?

Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:03 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Our Voice: Flint is left with no choice but to continue legal battle over Genesee Towers
By The Flint Journal
January 03, 2010, 5:57AM
And so the saga continues.

Late last month, the Michigan Court of Appeals reinstated the $6-million-plus arbitrator’s award that the city must pay the owners for the crumbling and condemned eyesore known as the Genesee Towers.

City Attorney Pete Bade labeled the ruling “grossly excessive.”

It is indeed.

Now Flint taxpayers can only hope it will not stand when the case goes before the state Supreme Court. The city will appeal. It has no choice, although it would help if both sides actively sought a settlement that reflected the building’s fair market value.

The building, whose date with a wrecking ball can’t come soon enough, isn’t worth millions of dollars. It’s not worth the $1.5 million an appraiser whose services the city accepted valued it at in 2007.

We’d argue it’s not even worth the $500,000 its owners, Sasikala and Kumar Vemulapalli, paid for it at auction in 1997.

It sustained flood damage in 2001 and lost the last of its tenants in 2002. It’s been vacant ever since, the center of controversy as it molders in disrepair.

But the owers are due reasonable compensation for the structure, which the city condemned.

The city didn’t help matters when it placed a $7-million value on the building after the Vemulapallis bought it at a fire-sale price. But even if it was worth that amount more than a decade ago, surely in its current condition and in the current real estate market its value is far, far less.

It’s sad, really. While the cement-paneled, 19-story structure was never attractive in an architectural sense, in its heyday it housed banks, offices and a restaurant. The view from the exclusive University Club on its top floor was unrivaled.

Now, the towers’ distinction as Flint’s tallest building hardly serves it well. It has become more of a public safety hazard than a landmark.

The sidewalks and portions of First and Harrison streets around it remain closed to protect people from falling debris. As time has dragged on, the city has gone from renting the barriers to purchasing them outright for $30,000.

The closure even caused Crim Festival of Races officials to briefly consider rerouting the famous 10-mile race that draws top runners from all over the world. They decided to keep the route as it was. For a couple of years now, athletes from far and wide have trotted past the barriers that stand around that hulking monstrosity.

That’s not the image of our city we want visitors to leave with.

In addition to the embarrassment and inconvenience the closed sidewalks and streets cause, they do little to assist the ongoing efforts to revitalize downtown.

Efforts that are finally bearing fruit.

Witnesses the renovated buildings, new businesses and eateries, and loft apartments along Saginaw Street. Add in the student housing on and around the University of Michigan-Flint campus, and something very exciting is going on.

Thanks to vision, persistence and millions of dollars in public and private investment, downtown has a heartbeat again. Nothing must be allowed to flatline it.

The towers must come down, sooner rather than later, so that something better and more in keeping with Flint’s new downtown can go up instead.

Unfortunately, even if reason prevails at the high court level and a more equitable solution is reached, Flint taxpayers will be left on the hook. While we hope this mess will be settled for less, either way it will not be settled cheaply, especially for a city that already is facing a $10-million budget deficit.

Flint will wind up paying at least $1.5-million for the structure and more to raze it. But the sooner this saga is wrapped up, the better. The towers need to become history so that Flint’s downtown can continue its journey to a brighter future.

RecommendRecommend (0)Print this Email this Share this:Previous story: Students' penny drive proof of positive things in Flint schools
Next story: Stolen e-mail controversy doesn’t change the facts on global warming
Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:58 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

If we only put 100 welfare families in the towers it would probably equal about $2,000,000 a year in social welfare dollars. That might hurt our regentrification plans though. It'd a lot easier to just let some hobos freeze or get burned to death when their squatter houses go up in flames.

I don't think our "Mott Foundation" and "pimping the poor" organizations are a real good recipe for the success. I think we need real businesses and not just government and grant "businesses" in Flint.

The north end of Flint yould probably look vibrant if the powers that be really wanted it to be.

The college town model could fall apart once master Obama runs out of stimulus funding so subsidize the banks to pay kids to go to school for non existent "green jobs".
Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:23 pm 
FlintBeerMan
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
untanglingwebs, I said what I meant but not everything. What I didn't say was stop serving alcohol at 2 and allow the bar to stay open and serve breakfast. The requires another license that many bar owners don't feel is worth the money. But, if it didn't cost so much and was encouraged by the State to actually save life's.

ll bet many bars would try it. But if they did. But, I'm betting the drunk driving rate would go down and the state courts would loose money, MADD would loose money,

do you got a show ted

Post Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:12 pm 
EBrow
F L I N T O I D

What about apartments/condos? They're always looking for new places for students...
Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:00 pm 
FlintBeerMan
F L I N T O I D

do ted got a show

Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:46 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

He did have one on channel 17. Not sure if it still on or not.
Post Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:28 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: