FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Flint ranked #5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

BAH, cops themselves foster the same mentality of 'us against them" you made refrence to. I have seen cops do all sorts of stuff that is illegal (and some ,very immoral) myself but a citizen's complaint here in this town unless that person is a member of a minority group. So I guess the event David Star gives an account of is entirely made up or something huh? Or all the other incidents people have against the cops in this town are totally invented and don't deserve looking into? And too bad when a cop gets shot, but at least the other cops will be all over trying to get the shooter, if it is an the normal citizen who gets shot, it is SOL. Sorry to be skeptical of you BAH but there is too much water under the bridge for me to even want to beleive cops in this town are that concerned with the things that go on here. And it is going to take a whole lot to convince me otherwise,but then I suspect you don't give a shit anyway.
Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:13 am 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

"BAH, cops themselves foster the same mentality of 'us against them" you made refrence to."

Yes they do sometimes. It may become difficult to refrain from this attitude when the citizens you work to defend are completely unappreciative of your efforts and call you "useless," "lazy" and "idiot".

"I have seen cops do all sorts of stuff that is illegal (and some ,very immoral) myself"

Such as?

"So I guess the event David Star gives an account of is entirely made up or something huh?"

I'm not sure why I am bothering to repost this because you obviously aren't reading any of this, but here goes.... Did I say anywhere that the incident didn't happen? No, I didn't, I said without being there I could only speculate on the officer's actions and give possible explanations. Then I asked questions for clarification, which would mean I was interesting in learning more facts of the incident.

Don't put words into my mouth or piggyback off of another poster's example without giving an example of your own to prove that "all cops are useless," and they, "don't do their jobs," which is still your original assertion.

"Or all the other incidents people have against the cops in this town are totally invented and don't deserve looking into?"

Never said anything like that either. I like it when things are looked into because the vast majority of the time the officer is shown to be in the right.

"And too bad when a cop gets shot, but at least the other cops will be all over trying to get the shooter, if it is an the normal citizen who gets shot, it is SOL"

So you're saying that in your vast experiences with the police, which include being at shooting scenes, you have never observed the cavalry show up when a citizen is shot? You've seen no officers driving/ walking through the neighborhoods looking for suspects and no investigation? Furthermore, if the other citizens searched as zealously for justice as the police and didn't have the "I didn't see nuthin" attitude, many more crimes would be solved.

"there is too much water under the bridge for me to even want to beleive cops"

There it is, you don't want to believe. Why am I trying?
Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:42 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Ryan- You have to go back to page 2 where Pissed off stated Joe Wilson was corrupt as a Flit officer and as sheriff.
I agree with you.
Joe Wilson has done a great deal to help many citizens. I don't believe he was corrupt. As I said he had issues that cost him his job as sheriff. One issue was placing trust in individuals who did not deserve it.
Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:19 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

It seems I remember old Joe handing out concealed carry permits and special deputy badges to his campaign contributors at the same time he was strictly opposed to honest citizens getting shall issue passed. Sounds a bit corrupt to me. Thats where Dave Barber who was also against CPL got his badge and carry permit you know the one he claimed over the phone to me on his radio show that he didnt have while his guest Sheriff Joe sat next to him. GET OFF MY G.D. Shocked PROGRAM AND DONT CALL AGAIN? Whats funny is my wife taped that conversation off the radio while it occured. Shortly after that old Dave was arrested for pulling his handgun (you know the one he didnt carry) Laughing on an 18 year old young lady for resisting his amourus advances and once again for flashing his special deputy badge during a confrontation at a bar. In the end Sheriff Joe got just what he deserved FIRED.

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:53 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
BAH836 schreef:

If the vehicle was towed in the time frame you say it was, my guess is that it had previously been tagged (48 hr sticker) and the 48 hrs were up.

I'm sure you've seen the mob mentality on your block when something is happening. The people come running out of the houses to get involved. This is the exact thing the officers are trying to avoid by ordering people back into their houses. There is no need for anyone to "call out" or otherwise intervene other than the involved party. Having to deal with intervening parties is taking the officers attention away from the task they are trying to complete and could be considered interfering/ obstructing.

It was not stickered; it had been there less than 24 hours.

Mob mentality? No need to call out? WTF???
People peacefully sitting on their porches see & hear what's going on & ask the officers to let the guy move the truck is a mob running out of their houses???

Do you ever wonder why people won't talk to the police?
Do you ever wonder why people have no respect for the police?

I form my opinions based on individuals, not the group. There are officers I respect, and officers I have no respect for.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:17 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Heres a good example of why police nowdays are very untrusting of strangers. Im not saying what they did was right on the other hand they must watch their backs at all times.

The four officers who were shot and killed at a Lakewood coffee shop Sunday morning were all members of the original Lakewood police force, said Lakewood Mayor Douglas Richardson.

By the way the lowlife gangbanger who killed these officers had quite a past. This is gonna come back to bite Huckabee in the ass as it should.

UPDATE: Clemmons, described as a person of interest in the fatal shooting today of four Lakewood police officers, was granted clemency in 2004 by Mike Huckabee, then governor of Arkansas.

A 2004 news account from the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette described the decision:

Pulaski County prosecutors dropped aggravated-robbery charges Monday against a 32-year-old Little Rock man paroled in 2001 after Gov. Mike Huckabee commuted the man's 95-year sentence.

Maurice Clemmons served 11 years after his conviction for aggravated robbery in 1989. He was paroled in August 2000. Huckabee cited Clemmons' young age at the time of his sentence - 17 - in the proclamation announcing the clemency.

After his release from the state Department of Correction, Clemmons violated his parole and was returned to prison in July 2001. He was released March 18, 2004.

Little Rock police obtained a warrant charging Clemmons with two counts of aggravated robbery and theft in the March 26, 2001, robberies of Gary Ervin and Jennifer Chime. The robberies occurred when Clemmons was out on parole.

But the warrants were not served for three years until Clemmons, now 32, was being released from state prison.

Defense attorney Stephen Morley asked Circuit Judge Barry Sims to dismiss the new charges. Morley argued that too much time had elapsed between the issuance of the warrant and Clemmons' arrest.

In a brief hearing Monday in Sims' court, prosecutors announced they would drop the charges.

UPDATE No. 2: Local charges against Clemmons date to May and July. Jail records show Clemmons was arrested and released four times between May and September, and most recently released from jail Nov. 24, five days before the Lakewood shootings.

In May, Clemmons was charged with multiple counts of third-degree assault and malicious mischief. The May 9 incident occurred in the 13100 block of 12th Avenue South, court documents state. Clemmons and two accomplices were confronted about multiple vehicles with broken windows. A sheriff’s deputy tried to arrest the two accomplices, who fought.

During the struggle, Clemmons emerged from a house and joined in the fight, punching the deputy in the face. A second deputy arrived, and the three men were arrested. Jail records indicate Clemmons bailed out of jail on May 11.

In July, Clemmons was arrested and charged with second-degree child rape. He bailed out on July 27. Prosecutors also discovered that Clemmons had an outstanding arrest warrant from the state of Arkansas. The Arkansas warrant was dismissed in July.

Prosecutors trying to multiple charges ordered Clemmons to undergo a mental evaluation to determine his competency to stand trial. Clemmons was found competent, according to court records.

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:35 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

The last I heard, Clemmons was holed up in Seattle with the house surrounded by police. It wasn't known if he was still alive, no response from the house, as he was believed to have been shot by one of the officers killed.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:55 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091130/ap_on_re_us/us_officers_shot
Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:29 am 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

It was not stickered; it had been there less than 24 hours.

Mob mentality? No need to call out? WTF???
People peacefully sitting on their porches see & hear what's going on & ask the officers to let the guy move the truck is a mob running out of their houses???

Do you ever wonder why people won't talk to the police?
Do you ever wonder why people have no respect for the police?

I form my opinions based on individuals, not the group. There are officers I respect, and officers I have no respect for.

Yes Dave, mob mentality. I'm sure you've seen where people come rushing out of their houses to get involved in something that is none of their business. This is the escalation the officers are trying to prevent. It may start with people peacefully sitting and "calling out," but lead to much more. The fact that people have "called out" is the first step in this escalation.

You're so stuck on the idea you needed to share your opinion by "calling out". Did your opinions seem to make a difference in the way the situation was handled?

I'm not willing to condemn these officers based on one side of the story.

In my experience, people won't talk in PUBLIC to the police because they are scared of retribution for doing so. These same people often have no trouble talking in a more private setting, where they know people are not watching them. These people are not usually involved with the "snitches get stitches" type though.

I'm glad you form your opinions based on individuals and not the group. If you recall, this has been my point all along. It is improper to label police as "all" anything, good or bad. I've never stated that "all" police are good. There are obvious bad apples here and there, but I believe the majority are not in this category.
Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:43 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I've had a bad experience talking to an officer in private, too. The people living behind me had a huge pile of brush at the rear of their yard, & I was a bit concerned about rats. The officer said he'd talk to them, and promised he wouldn't say anything about me talking to him. He promptly went over there & told the people that I said they had rats, and they were calling the health department!

That got a couple rocks thrown through my back windows.

I've also had very good experiences with officers, which is why I form opinions based on individuals, not groups. That said, I know the "us against the world" attitude amopng police officers is alive and well.

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:32 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I've had a bad experience talking to an officer in private, too. The people living behind me had a huge pile of brush at the rear of their yard, & I was a bit concerned about rats. The officer said he'd talk to them, and promised he wouldn't say anything about me talking to him. He promptly went over there & told the people that I said they had rats, and they were calling the health department!

That got a couple rocks thrown through my back windows.

I've also had very good experiences with officers, which is why I form opinions based on individuals, not groups. That said, I know the "us against the world" attitude among police officers is alive and well.

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:32 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

Dave,what BAH is saying is you are wrong, the cops are right. The thin blue line closes ranks . And Webs and Ryan, hate to burst your little bubble seperating you both from reality but what Joe Wilson did while as sheriff is a form of corruption, he lied on offical paperwork and encouraged other to do so as well. This would land anyone else with a steep fine and some jail time, I don't know if he paid the fine but he didnt pay any time. And there was more than one instance of this lying of forms and documents , each count is supposed to be prosecutable. Joe is a nice guy yes, Joe is likeable, sure. I don't hate Joe, known him for years, so I don't have a personal axe to grind with him. But what he did was wrong . Sorry if that is too harsh for you guys but the truth is the truth.
BAH , people don't talk to the cops cos so many people have had situations similar to what Dave and I have already stated . But of course that didnt happen,cops are always being lied about and everyone else is in on this conspiracy to bad mouth cops and give them a bad reputation. So like I said before , record ALL interactions you have with the cops, it will keep both sides polite, on subject and accountable.
Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:13 pm 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

quote:
1pissedoffguy schreef:
Dave,what BAH is saying is you are wrong, the cops are right. The thin blue line closes ranks.

BAH , people don't talk to the cops cos so many people have had situations similar to what Dave and I have already stated . But of course that didnt happen,cops are always being lied about and everyone else is in on this conspiracy to bad mouth cops and give them a bad reputation. So like I said before , record ALL interactions you have with the cops, it will keep both sides polite, on subject and accountable.

Thanks onepissedguy, but I can speak for myself and I still don't need you to put words into my mouth. If you are interested in quoting something I say, go ahead, but I take issue with you constantly twisting my words and speaking for me. I challenge you to quote where I say that Dave was wrong and the cops were right. You can't do it because it didn't happen. Maybe you are having trouble with reading comprehension. I'm not sure about that, but I am sure you won't be able to quote me on something I never said. I'm still waiting for proof from you that all cops, 100% of them are "useless" and "idiots". Keep in mind that I've already stated numerous times that not "all" cops are excellent "all" of the time.

Dave, I agree that officers pointing out who called on people is a bad idea if the caller wishes to remain anonymous. I, personally, have never outed someone who wishes to remain anonymous in the situation you describe, but I'm not naive to think it doesn't happen. I actually occasionally make contact with a caller via telephone to speak with them regarding their complaint if they wish to be anonymous. This way a cruiser is never even at their house, but believe it or not, administrators in some places frown upon this practice and officers may face scrutiny for doing so. My question to you though is this, if you didn't accompany the officer to the problem house, how do you know what was said? It isn't a stretch to believe that the problem house put two and two together and assume who called on them. You say the house directly behind you had brush in their backyard, meaning the brush is most likely closest to your yard. How do you know they didn't just assume who called, rather than having been told by an officer?

Furthermore, it is my belief that the problem you describe is more of a code enforcement problem than a police matter, but I'm not even sure what the status of code enforcement is in the city right now.
Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:57 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

Dave, so essentially boils down to your word versus a cop's word,' for BAH, that means the non cop is on the losing side. I encourage all sides to use video recorders or digital voice recorders when ever you talk to cops. And if you call them to your house, get all thier information down, all their ID's and associated badge numbers or whatever. Don't be friendly to the cops, just answer their questions, too much info only confuses them and they get surly. I am serious about this, they will tell you what you saw, so don't think for a minute that you are helping them but giving them information, they already know what happened. BAH, tell Dave that he didnt see what he saw, come on, you are the cop , you are next to God in being ALL SEEING. Pisses me off, everytime I had to deal with one of you cops I am asked to tell you people what I saw then , typically, you clowns try to tell me what YOU think I saw, why the hell ask me if you already got the damn answers?
Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:03 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
BAH836 schreef:

Dave, I agree that officers pointing out who called on people is a bad idea if the caller wishes to remain anonymous. I, personally, have never outed someone who wishes to remain anonymous in the situation you describe, but I'm not naive to think it doesn't happen.

I was at a meeting where chief Lock was asked about this & he said he could see no problem with identifying callers.

Post Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:27 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: