FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Civic Park Historic District-What a joke!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I just drove through the Civic Park area and saw nothing but vacant houses and lots of substandard housing. Some blocks have over 50% of the homes abandoned and vandalized. Because of the historic designation many of the renovated homes obviously did not pull permits. I am told the historic restrictions have made it too expensive and complicated. These houses cannot even be torn down without fighting the Historic Commission.
It is no wonder Civic Park School had to close. Most of the houses near the school are empty.
How can this designation be reversed? There are far too many houses to try to save and the blight will make it harder for the remaining residents to stay.
Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:48 pm 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

Flint is a Joke!
Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:35 pm 
ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

Derrick1965,

I did not agree with you on the Waybright/Lawler issues, but I must agree with you on this issue. Unfortunately, it's a very bad joke.
Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:22 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Sadly some of the occupied homes should have been vacant because they were in deplorable condition. I thought the residents in these homes were squatters, but I have been told these were barely fixed up rentals. This shows how badly Flint needs inspectors and code enforcement officers.
The DPW staff told me we have two inspectors,one for the east side and one for the west side. I did a brief look at the property tax info on several streets and saw many owned by companies in other states. One Utah company has literally hundreds of transactions in the Register of Deeds office. And a majority of the vacant properties were Land Bank properties.
A city should not treat their residents like they were in a third world country.
Post Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:02 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

damn.... Shocked

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:47 am 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

What is the hillarious thing about all this is you yutzes think this toilet bowl of crap about to be flushed is worth even trying to save. It was at one time, but not now.What industry is going to relocate here? We have stupid kids, dropping out, we have a city council who is a joke, we have a mayor who is just waiting to bust out here to go to D.C and he can barely wait to see Flint in his rearview mirror. We have two Poplars,who are really popular, especially in courts with lawyers. We have crime so bad even the higher class crooks stay the hell out of here. We have metal thieves who would steal your gold crowns if you left your mouth open long enough.
So you poly annas tell me where am I wrong about all this? I am just reciting all the issues in the past few weeks or months here from this forum, from the threads you all wrote. Come on BA, tell me what meds I need to take to dim this overly real view of life here in Flint?
Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:58 am 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

We do not have stupid kids! We have kids with parents with no parenting skills. We have teachers that care but can't do all. We have some parents and teachers that have given up. We do NOT have Stupid kids.

peace Rap.

Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:48 am 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

I stand corrected, we don't have stupid kids, we just have lazy , non involved parents , especially here in Flint. Teachers have given up because they can't do much to discipline kids or teach anything useful because of this PC BS that they have to deal with. So Rapunzel is right. Still , none of this is going to fixed here in Flint because have a culture of dependency that has been created over all these geneations sucking at the nipples of society and the rest of the foks defending these butt wipes so they never have to take responsiblity . It's too late for this city folks,the patient is dead, pull the sheet over it and go on with you life. Move out of this city and don't look back.
Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:
We do not have stupid kids! We have kids with parents with no parenting skills. We have teachers that care but can't do all. We have some parents and teachers that have given up. We do NOT have Stupid kids.

peace Rap.

So all our kids are geniuses? Do all the teachers care? So how do these parents that don't care do such a good job training their kids how to murder each other?

There are some studies that poverty may have an impact on cognitive developement .
Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:29 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Pissedoff- What is the alternative? Do you think the suburbs are safe and not touched by Flint crime? Think again. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Crime is mobile. In the East side of Flint several years ago the criminal groups stole junker cars and went to the suburbs to rob. They then stole another car to return. These were not all Flint kids. Flint was, and may still be, a dumping ground for runaway kids all over the county and beyond.
Eastside gangs went to Swartz Creek to challenge rival groups. Parents who don't realize the level of gang involvement their child is involved in move to the suburbs and unwittingly transfer the problem. School of Choice has limited number of positions that allow Flint and other students to attend suburban schools.
The Pew report predicts Michigans job market will not rturn for 15 years. What are young people to do when they can't get a job? Those who can get an educaion often must leave Michigan to be gainfully employed. Young people with a criminal case find it nearly impossible to find employment.
My point in addressing Civic Park is to review the impact the city's past decisions and look at todays reality. These homes were built in 1910 to 1920 to accomadate the growing number of factory workers. The exodus of Flint residents, for whatever reason, has not ben kind to many of these homes. The elderly who have died may not have been able to upgrade these homes which makes them unappealing to younger home buyers.
The historic commision designstion has made improving the home exterior too costly. Many still have the slate roofs. As Dave Starr stated in another thread, the restrictions made these homes undesireable.
There is a big difference between renovatig a lovely old Victorian and a Dutch Colonial in an ocean of hundreds of Dutch Colonials.
Loosening the restrictions may save some of these homes. Vandals and metal scavengers have made many impossible to save.These homes have a small bump out i the rear that originally accomodated ice deliveries. The foundations of these vestiges of history are crumbling and unsafe. They are probablyexpensive to fix.
People willing to move into an urban settingstill want suburban style amenities. They want sunrooms, decks. and kitchen additions. How does this fit into the historic setting.
Many homeowners made improvements and obviously did not get permits.
They would not have been allowed to do so otherwise. Restoring these homes to historic standards is costly and not appealing to the general pool of homebuyers. These are not isolated and highly desireable Craftsman homes. Up to 950 homes were built in this area.
Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:48 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

This problem is not restricted to Civic Park. A lovely and very large HUD home on Welch and Seminole just sold for $6,000. It had been severely damaged by scavengers and may have had some drug dealing activities.
Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:51 am 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

Hey Webs,,I posted somewhere else the drug sales in the burbs, so hell no I dont think they are better, just more concealed. I was on the Eastside, dont know anyone going to the burbs to rip people off, seen the people dumping trash there along the river bank, the parks, the steet right long the river, east blvd drive, was actually pugged up so that dumpers would not be easy to dump under that bridge. Seen people ripping up houses that were boarded up and had the wiring and copper pipes ripped out of them,hell a house on New York blew up and took two other houses pretty much out with it , I think the fictures that were on the pipes for gas were scrapped and that may been the reason why the neighbors smelled gas (and Consumers I guess didnt respond, at least that was the rumor I herd) . But now the Eastside is getting more black ,so now they will get alll the stuff the want
because blacks always get the cheese with their whines.
Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:31 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

a sad pitiful slug. Shocked

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:48 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Pissedoff- If you lived on the east side then you have seen a lot of gang activity, drug activity, prostitution and the whole bit. After the Insane Spanish Cobras started to take over the bad things became worse. Kids had to pay dues to be safe, even drug dealers have to kick back or face retribution. That was all part of Busch's RICO case against the Cobras. before that you had the East Side Crips and later the Vernon Avenue Crips. I watched as JABs (Jane Avenue Boys-a Cobra set) methodically destroyed Jane Avenue. Reember when they shot up the Jane Avenue home because they believed the man was a rival gang drug dealer.
And who can forget Juicys Cobras that looked more like Chinese Dragons. Add in the tagger groups, some of whom were gang members too.
There was also a local KKK group that had been there for ages. Few people know about the large KKK rally that was once held in Kearsley Park. ATF arested the leader several years ago after he held a state meeting at his house on Franklin. The house mysteriously burnt down later. Prison parolees who were members of the Aryan Nation used to be all over the area. I got to read some of their literature. Southern Poverty Law center just removed this group from their lists.
I am sure you had a rough way to go if you lived over there especially along Riverside. And yes, some problems there are getting worse. Alot of good black people have moved in, but so have some black gangs moving in on the drug trade. Their writing is on the wall, so to speak.
I saw the official police documents on the criminal activity you referenced. Probably wasn't supposed to.
I hope that you can learn to stop lashing out at everyone and make your life more productive. I sincerely believe your life has not been easy. Your soul and spirit, refined by the fire of your experiences, can also help you suceed.
Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:11 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

succeed to the mental ward. Shocked

P.Y.
Post Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:41 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: