FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Flint's WFUM to be sold to CMU! Good Bye TV

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Flint's WFUM-TV to be sold to CMU for $1M
Emma Davis
Issue date: 11/9/09 Section: Campus
PrintEmail Article Tools Page 1 of 1
Media Credit: M-Times Photo

Central Michigan University will be purchasing the license for Flint's WFUM-TV, located in the White Building. Above, Kirk Lawrence, a studio technician at WFUM-TV 28 operates the master controls in the studio.

Central Michigan University is getting ready to purchase the license for WFUM-TV, located on campus, for $1 million. CMU’s Board of Trustees approved the purchase Oct. 27.

“We’re hopeful that public television in this area will be preserved for this community,” said Jennifer White, station manager of WFUM-TV.

Flint area residents will receive CMU public television programming, creating around 8 million viewers total. Broadcasting could begin as soon as late November, according to CMU’s campus newspaper, Central Michigan Life.

“I would still rather it be under our leadership than Central’s,” said Lauren Taylor, a junior double majoring in political science and anthropology. “It’s a Flint station and it has been for a long time.”

“I understand they (WFUM) are selling a whole bunch of the equipment,” said Interim Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Vahid Lotfi. “And some of the equipment will be moved to Ann Arbor, some of the equipment is very old. The studios will remain, and the space is ours.”

There are currently five proposals to use the space.

The department of communication and visual arts is proposing to use the studio and office space. ITS is proposing to store servers at the location. The School of Health Professions and Studies has made two proposals for a nursing simulation lab and classroom space, while the School of Management is also proposing for classroom and office space. A decision will be made in four to six weeks, according to Lotfi.

WFUM announced in April it would stop broadcasting. The decision was made largely in part by prospective shortfalls and a 28 percent decline in membership. The public television station has been part of UM-Flint since 1980.

“I thought [WFUM] was kind of important because it reached so many people and was a close tie to us,” said Taylor.

“I’m sad to see the station go, but I can understand the rational behind it,” said Lotfi. “It was an asset for the city of Flint and I’m glad it’s going to remain with a public university, so it will remain public television.”

Post Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:42 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Why doesn't anyone care that this great community asset is being sold?

Post Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

UofM Flint did so little with it. Maybe the new owners will start doing more locally produced programing. About the only thing Flint had was the Quiz Bowl.
Post Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Oh and BTW, MOTT MCC still has its studio too and its channel when they don't even operate either. Flint Central has a studio also. Which they didn't use.
Post Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Elias12
F L I N T O I D

When I was going to Mott they did have a studio on the 3rd floor of the Library building, they had some stuff going on there at times. But WFUM didn't do much local stuff. At one time I approached them with an idea for a show and they had one man there who was receptive to it and we were about to start the planning for the show, when boom, this man was fired from there. WFUM is going to be missed but it's full potential was never allowed to be realized from what I see when I was going to UofM Flint. I have had friends who worked there over the years and I am sad to see them out of jobs due to things beyond their control. I am going to ask some of my friends who worked for the place to come into this forum and tell the people some of the stupid things that went on behind the scenes over the years. I hope they share their experiences with the readers here.

Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:01 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Sounds great to me.
Post Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:12 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Its sad,,, sad

quote:
Elias12 schreef:
When I was going to Mott they did have a studio on the 3rd floor of the Library building, they had some stuff going on there at times. But WFUM didn't do much local stuff. At one time I approached them with an idea for a show and they had one man there who was receptive to it and we were about to start the planning for the show, when boom, this man was fired from there. WFUM is going to be missed but it's full potential was never allowed to be realized from what I see when I was going to UofM Flint. I have had friends who worked there over the years and I am sad to see them out of jobs due to things beyond their control. I am going to ask some of my friends who worked for the place to come into this forum and tell the people some of the stupid things that went on behind the scenes over the years. I hope they share their experiences with the readers here.

Post Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:42 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

I just heard they want to build a third studio... Any one confirm that? They ahve two they aren't using now.
Post Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:56 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Dawn Jones is supposed to be working on a Flint studio. The city won a lawsuit against Comcast-got some money and some junk equipment that about 4 generations old. See Sheldon Neeley as he asked questions about the settlement.
Post Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:17 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Dawn Jones is supposed to be working on a Flint studio. The city won a lawsuit against Comcast-got some money and some junk equipment that about 4 generations old. See Sheldon Neeley as he asked questions about the settlement.

Sheldon wants to give the Money to the Schools or Urban League. Those that got the Lawsuit started want the money to go back to help public access. Buy equipment and furnish a studio with Cameras, Computers, Playback etc.
Post Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:53 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: