FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Police and fire dept may face a 312 arbitration
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I saw the 6 p.m. abc 12 news where it was announced that Granholm signed the final budget bills stating that she had no choice. That means our 11% revenue sharing cut is in effect.
Walling was in the lobby of city hall for his interview and said no police and fire layoffs. With over $2 million in cuts, Walling said he would use alternative methods to cut expenditures.
Specificlly, he spoke of cuts in the way the police and fire depts are being run and the current union negotiations with both unions. When asked if the unions would go along with the proposed cuts, he threatened a 312 arbitration to ge his way.
I could only find the 4 p.m. story on wjrt's site.
Post Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:26 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Hang on, folks, it's going to get rougher.

I'd like to see fewer sworn officers behind desks at the station & more in cruisers on the streets. But, that would require contract changes that I don't see the union agreeing to.

The city needs to look at saving every penny possible everywhere. Replace glossy, slick, bound budgets with plain paper stapled together. Generic City of Flint stationary usable by all offices, rather than the personalized stuff. How much would a 5% across the board pay cut save?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Some officers are behind a desk because of injuries and they are on light duty .
I have been told our newer Flint officers make less than those in comparable communities. Can we ask them to make more sacrifices. Personally I think public safety officers need good health care. Walling indicated this was another area to cut.
Police overtime is an issue. The contract has a minimum number of officers working per shift. When some, usually higher seniority officers, call in to avoid working a weekend then officers must be called in o overtime. This has been a problem throughout many administrations and no one has found a solution yet.
Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:37 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint has had months to consider a solution.
Revenue Sharing Cuts Devastating Communities, Threatening Public Safety
Impact of Cuts will be Traced Back to Votes of House, Senate
LANSING, Mich. – More deep cuts to revenue sharing being advanced by the Legislature will threaten police and fire protection across the state, local leaders from across Michigan warned today.

After slashing revenue sharing by about $3 billion in the past eight years, state lawmakers are now considering another $162 million in revenue sharing cuts from the Governor’s recommendation for the Fiscal Year 2009-2010 state budget. Revenue sharing funds essential local services, including police and fire protection, safe drinking water, sewer systems, road and bridge maintenance, and more.

The cuts of the past eight years have already caused the layoffs of more than 2,400 police officers and 1,800 firefighters across the state. The additional reductions awaiting final legislative approval could double the number of police and fire layoffs, local officials said.

“Cuts of this magnitude directly affect the health, public safety and welfare of every citizen and business in this state,” said MML President and Troy City Councilmember Robin Beltramini. “This cut is the equivalent of losing more than 2,000 police officers. If legislators are so concerned about losing 100 state police officers, they should be more concerned about what losing 2,000 local police officers will mean to the state, citizen safety, and jobs!”

Even as the Legislature guts revenue sharing, the state is collecting billions of dollars in emergency “stimulus” funds from the federal government. The funds are being appropriated, in part, under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009. The state is using almost all of the ARRA funds at its discretion to fix its own budget, even though the law specifically states the funds are supposed to relieve fiscal stress in local governments too.

“At the same time the state is cutting revenue sharing, it’s keeping for itself ARRA funds that are supposed to also go to local governments to avoid essential service reductions and local tax increases,” Beltramini said. “It is time for the Legislature and governor to stop making cuts that damage local communities and their ability to create the kinds of safe, vibrant places that attract jobs and employers and keep our college students home.”

Howell Police Chief George Basar, who is also serving as president of the Michigan Association of Chiefs of Police, said revenue sharing cuts are threatening public safety across the state.

“Lawmakers continue to say public safety is the priority, yet their actions don’t match their words,” he said. He noted the state has 2,400 fewer police officers now than eight years ago.

Lansing Fire Chief Tom Cochran said, “The cuts-only policies in Michigan must stop if the Legislature is concerned about maintaining safe communities and a high quality of life. Adequate fire and police protection are minimum standards for individuals locating in a community. We must be able to provide these to move toward a more prosperous state.”

Summer Minnick, Director of State Affairs for MML, discusses revenue sharing cuts with Walt Sorg on WILS AM-Lansing

Grand Rapids Interim City Manager Eric DeLong said endless budget cuts are reactionary and dangerous and do nothing to solve Michigan’s long term problems.

“Revenue sharing cuts combined with a decline in property values and local income taxes is killing the ability of local governments to provide basic services,” he said. “It is time to actually solve the problem by taking a look at our entire tax system.”

He also noted property values are hinged on the quality of life and level of service provided in a community. “At a time when we are looking to the state to help resolve the issues hurting our communities, they are making decisions that exacerbate our existing problems,” he said.

The Michigan Municipal League advocates on behalf of its member communities in Lansing, Washington D.C., and the courts; provides educational opportunities for elected and appointed municipal officials; and assists municipal leaders in administering services to their communities through League programs and services. For more information, visit www.mml.org.

LANSING, Mich. – More deep cuts to revenue sharing being advanced by the Legislature will threaten police and fire protection across the state, local leaders from across Michigan warned today.After slashing revenue sharing by about $3 billion in the past eight years, state lawmakers are now considering another $162 million in revenue sharing cuts from the Governor’s recommendation for the Fiscal Year 2009-2010 state budget. Revenue sharing funds essential local services, including police and fire protection, safe drinking water, sewer systems, road and bridge maintenance, and more.The cuts of the past eight years have already caused the layoffs of more than 2,400 police officers and 1,800 firefighters across the state. The additional reductions awaiting final legislative approval could double the number of police and fire layoffs, local officials said.“Cuts of this magnitude directly affect the health, public safety and welfare of every citizen and business in this state,” said MML President and Troy City Councilmember Robin Beltramini. “This cut is the equivalent of losing more than 2,000 police officers. If legislators are so concerned about losing 100 state police officers, they should be more concerned about what losing 2,000 local police officers will mean to the state, citizen safety, and jobs!”Even as the Legislature guts revenue sharing, the state is collecting billions of dollars in emergency “stimulus” funds from the federal government. The funds are being appropriated, in part, under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009. The state is using almost all of the ARRA funds at its discretion to fix its own budget, even though the law specifically states the funds are supposed to relieve fiscal stress in local governments too.“At the same time the state is cutting revenue sharing, it’s keeping for itself ARRA funds that are supposed to also go to local governments to avoid essential service reductions and local tax increases,” Beltramini said. “It is time for the Legislature and governor to stop making cuts that damage local communities and their ability to create the kinds of safe, vibrant places that attract jobs and employers and keep our college students home.” : : : : : : : : : : :

Contact Information

Andrea Messinger
517-908-0302
amessinger@mml.org
Agency Contact:
517-485-6600 info@mwadvocacy.com www.martinwaymire.com Images
Post Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:18 am 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Remember Untanglingwebs that this is a stepping stone for Dayne Walling.
He is here to get to the next level.

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
I saw the 6 p.m. abc 12 news where it was announced that Granholm signed the final budget bills stating that she had no choice. That means our 11% revenue sharing cut is in effect.
Walling was in the lobby of city hall for his interview and said no police and fire layoffs. With over $2 million in cuts, Walling said he would use alternative methods to cut expenditures.
Specificlly, he spoke of cuts in the way the police and fire depts are being run and the current union negotiations with both unions. When asked if the unions would go along with the proposed cuts, he threatened a 312 arbitration to ge his way.
I could only find the 4 p.m. story on wjrt's site.
Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:50 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Walling and the chief are trying to put police on 12 hour shifts. It is my understaning Detroit and Saginaw have rejected similar plans. sometimes these officers have so many calls they can hardly get lunch. Can anyone say BURNOUT!
Also I believe the contract states they must have about 12 hours between shifts if they are called in for overtime.
Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:48 pm 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Walling and the chief are trying to put police on 12 hour shifts. It is my understaning Detroit and Saginaw have rejected similar plans. sometimes these officers have so many calls they can hardly get lunch. Can anyone say BURNOUT!
Also I believe the contract states they must have about 12 hours between shifts if they are called in for overtime.

The police department has been fighting for 10 or 12 hour shifts for at least the past five years. When the Williamson administration issued the 26 point restructuring plan (police decimation plan), #1 was the PD will not work 10 hour shifts. This was #1 simply because the mayor knew the PD wanted to work 10 hour shifts. Walling and the Chief are now allowing the PD to work a shift which they desire far more than the current 8 hour shifts.

I cannot speak for Detroit, but I know for a fact Saginaw PD work 12 hour shifts and the officers love them. Burnout is far more likely to occur on 8 hour shifts than 10 or 12's. FPD officers work 7 or 8 days in a row before a day off depending on their rotation. FPD officers receive only one weekend off every three weeks. On 12 hour shifts, officers get every other weekend off (Fri Sat Sun) and work a maximum of three days in a row. Officers on 12 hour shifts only work 14 days in a calender month. Saginaw PD contract mandates that officers receive a one hour lunch each working day. If they do not receive the lunch, they are compensated for it in overtime.

I also do not believe FPD contract requires 12 hours between shifts. Officers often times work double shifts to cover call ins, which are also dramatically reduced when on 12 hour shifts.
Post Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:12 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

damn..you kats are busting your asses!

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:12 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

BAH836- I stand corrected. Saginaw is indeed on a 12 hour shift. The question is if the officers agree with Walling's proposals, why did he threaten a 312 arbitration on TV 12.

Crime and Public Safety Issues
The City Council and staff selected crime and public safety as our highest priority. Innovative strategies have been undertaken to address these issues.

In mid 2007, Saginaw Police Department engaged in a mutually agreed upon experiment in staffing, which constituted a radical change from what the department has historically done. The Department switched from the traditional 8-hour shift to a 12-hour shift structure. This change has resulted in several benefits:

Reduced the number of supervisors assigned to each shift
This allows remaining supervisors to be used in other areas of critical need that would not be covered
More hours available for patrol (5,200)
More time off for the patrol force with rotating weekends off regardless of seniority
Preliminary figures show a cost savings
With limited resources for additional officers, police administration researched technology to help in the crime fighting effort. With a federal earmark supported by Congressman Dale Kildee’s office, the City was able to secure funding to purchase the ShotSpotter Technology, which will pinpoint gunfire. This technology will help the department become more efficient in the deployment of officers to the scene of a crime and allow police to assess the situation before arriving making for better safety to officers.

We are the first city in Michigan to use this technology!

Added a fourth community police officer. He has been assigned to the Covenant District.
Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:22 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

BAH 836- 12 hour shifts don't always work.

This is a hot issue in LA where the LA TIMES Editorial had an opinion on it........

Unlike those in other large police departments across the country, most patrol officers in Los Angeles work just three 12-hour days a week. The sweetness of this schedule cannot be underestimated, and it is wildly popular with the rank and file. Officers have more time to recharge and recover from their physically and emotionally taxing work. They have more time for their families. They have more time for second jobs. They rack up more overtime pay, and the handful who reside out of state have more time to jet between work and their homes in Idaho and Las Vegas.

Because of the short workweek, the city has paid millions in overtime that it otherwise wouldn't have. It also has fewer cops patrolling the streets than if they worked a four-day week, as is far more standard for large urban police departments. Last fall, a city study found that response times are longer, and certain neighborhoods have so small a patrol presence that they could be designated police-free zones. Now, in an excruciatingly tight budget year, the city is projecting a $16-million deficit for the department, a chunk of which is overtime the city must pay officers when they're on call to appear in court on their days off.

The LA Times points to Honolulu PD that had a 12 hour day and switched back to 8 hour days. Star- Bulletin of Honolulu.
Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:31 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Many police departments are switching to 12 hour dys to reduce supervisory costs. They also note that many officers work second jobs. It appears the main drawbacks are in court scheduling and covering for employees on sick leave.
However I would draw the line at allowing an officer to work overtime after a 12 hour shift. Another problem is an incident occurring close to shift change that requires paperwork lasting past the shift.
Also not all officers prefer this schedule. Some deparments have returned to 10 hour and 8 hour, as well as flex shifts.. Only time will tell.
Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:05 am 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

I would assume the threat of arbitration was directed more toward the union not agreeing to concessions. During the Williamson administration, the PD proposed switching to 10 or 12 hour shifts. The PD took a survey and the vast majority of officers favored the switch. These numbers may be different now that 48 of the newest officers are still laid off. You say not all officers like 12 hour shifts. This is true, but not all officers like 8 hour shifts either. According to the POAM newsletter, not one single department affiliated with POAM has ever switched back to 8's after going to 12's.
Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:36 pm 
countynews
F L I N T O I D

I think that is an unfair labor charge. Before you can go to 312 arbitration, you must bargain in good faith with the intention of reaching agreement. If the mayor enters negotiations having already stated they will get what they want through the 312 process he is not bargaining in good faith. Methinks he may have acquired footinmouth disease.

Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:51 pm 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

quote:
countynews schreef:
I think that is an unfair labor charge. Before you can go to 312 arbitration, you must bargain in good faith with the intention of reaching agreement. If the mayor enters negotiations having already stated they will get what they want through the 312 process he is not bargaining in good faith. Methinks he may have acquired footinmouth disease.

I am not very well versed in union contract negotiations, but I didn't think you could just jump to arbitration prior to bargaining. With that said, I think you are right about footinmouth. Statements like this probably wouldn't look to favorable to the city if it fact the issue did go before an arbitrator.
Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:04 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

How will 12 hr shifts work for community police? The two don't seem compatible.
How are you balancing out the hours? Three 12 hour shifts are only 36 hours a week. Will the Flint Police have to be on a different pay schedule to get full pay as a scheduled work day does not include overtime pay.
Post Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:11 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: