FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Blackstone's - mediocre food, high prices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
speedyshere
F L I N T O I D

I am from Toledo and I have been living in Grand Blanc for almost a year. I
was considering moving to downtown Flint, when my lease ends next month, but with all the talk, it seems like Flint has issues as well as other Michigan cities, and maybe I will just go back to Ohio. At least people there speak to each other and can live among each other without all this unnecessary confusion.
Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:43 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
munnbreslin schreef:
Man you guys just complain about everything dont you. Abandoned buildings, complain. Poor government, complain. Then you get an eyesore abandoned building turned into a reastaraunt bringing many back downtown for the first time in a long time and you do what? Complain. Wow. And stop using the race card for everything, its old, abused, and is hurting racial progress in the US. STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT EVERTHING.

So, if the food is overpriced & not all that good, we should just be grateful a restaurant is downtown?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:09 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
speedyshere schreef:
I am from Toledo and I have been living in Grand Blanc for almost a year. I
was considering moving to downtown Flint, when my lease ends next month, but with all the talk, it seems like Flint has issues as well as other Michigan cities, and maybe I will just go back to Ohio. At least people there speak to each other and can live among each other without all this unnecessary confusion.

Are you saying Toledo has no issues?

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:10 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

I don't like the idea of you passing judgment on a restaurant you have never even been to. Try it for yourself, you may like it.
Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:28 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

No, thank you. $8.95 for a hamburg is way out of my price range. I'll stay with Haloburger.

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:18 pm 
Elias12
F L I N T O I D

The people in this town complain about everything and it has always been this way. When the factories were going full tilt people complained about it being a factory town, when the factories pulled out they complained about the loss of jobs, now what are they whinning about? Oh! a too pricey place to eat that now employs people, pays taxes and stops the erosion of other businesses . Unless a meal makes me sick due to food posioning I chalk up a bad meal to the chef or cook not being the caliber I am and move on. I heard so much about Bosely's back when that place was the "in" place and I went there,it was good but nothing to write home about but I didnt complain about it.

Post Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:56 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
speedyshere schreef:
I was considering moving to downtown Flint, when my lease ends next month, but with all the talk, it seems like Flint has issues as well as other Michigan cities, and maybe I will just go back to Ohio. At least people there speak to each other and can live among each other without all this unnecessary confusion.
Please don't base your decision on what you see posted here on the Flint Talk forum. There are many people in Flint who don't post here who communicate freely in a civil manner and who don't have such negative attitudes. In fact, some of the people who have been posting here don't even live in Flint.

Every city has its "issues," Flint is struggling through theirs and there's hope for the future. I'd encourage you to watch and listen, to credible sources. Visit some of the neighborhood watch groups, downtown and the cultural center. Make some local contacts, get involved.
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:48 am 
Domet
F L I N T O I D

I would like to take a moment and second 00SL2's sentiments.

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Please don't base your decision on what you see posted here on the Flint Talk forum.

Flint does have problems, almost certainly. So does Toledo. Ohio and Michigan share some similarities.. I don't know how long you've been gone from Toledo but you may find it to be a somewhat different place.

Downtown Flint is a lot of fun. I don't care for Blackstones, but I think a lot of the other places are really quite nice. There is also a strong police presence in the downtown area spreading up through the East Village and through the Mott Park Neighborhood. While I have my issues with a police presence being so focused in these areas, it has made downtown Flint one of the safest areas in the city.

Now, if it's employment you're after... neither Toledo nor Flint may be the place for you! XD
Post Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:16 pm 
speedyshere
F L I N T O I D

I went exploring downtown Flint for myself and I do not see anything wrong with it. It looks normal to me. I was not passing judgement on the city itself, I was merely commenting on the negative comments. So, that is why I had to do a little sightseeing and find out for myself. As far as Toledo, it is always vacant downtown. There is more life in downtown Flint than Toledo, that's for sure. I am not concerned about what goes on at night, because I do not hang out at late hours anyway.
Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:24 am 
Elias12
F L I N T O I D

Hey people , this city is still here and people are still opening businesses here. Here is a suggestion to the original poster who had issues with Blackstone's' : tell them about the problems you had. Seriously. Tell the owners about it. That sort of feedback is what they have to hear to correct issues. Trust me, my family owned businesses like this and they reacted to complaints immedialtely.

Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:28 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Lots of people have done that now what happens next?

quote:
Elias12 schreef:
Hey people , this city is still here and people are still opening businesses here. Here is a suggestion to the original poster who had issues with Blackstone's' : tell them about the problems you had. Seriously. Tell the owners about it. That sort of feedback is what they have to hear to correct issues. Trust me, my family owned businesses like this and they reacted to complaints immedialtely.
Post Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:29 pm 
Elias12
F L I N T O I D

Let's see there LakeWoman, if a business doesnt get people into their places they don't stay in business. So if a business gets known as not doing what people want they get fewer people and eventually go out of business. Not rocket science here folks. I will break it down further, if you don't like a business ,don't go there. This the beauty of the market system. Unlike the government, which typically makes the choice of doing business or not with them not negotiable. But to just accept some word of some stranger that a business isn't good,it is just being being a sheep. Why should I value a total stranger's opinion so much I take it as a law? It is my money,if I want to waste it to either prove or disprove another person's opinion is my option. I will bet that I like a lot of things you don't like but I guess my opinion should force you to change yours? I hope not. If so then you are very easily led and that ,for anyone, isn't good. Diners and resaurants are very personal choices to a large degree. Should someone else tell another person who the should date or not date, marry or not marry? All the same thing, personal prefrence. And I think it really cool now that we have options about where to eat in downtown Flint is really good, and yes,the option to bicker over whose place is better also a good thing. It is a series of choices and arguments we didn't have before. Variety of options , I think is good. What would you suggest LakeWoman,shutting down Blackstones because you don't like it?

Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:38 pm 
speedyshere
F L I N T O I D

Actually, before opening a business, maybe a class in race relations would help.
Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:55 pm 
Elias12
F L I N T O I D

A course in race relations huh? Taught by whom? How much is this going to cost? What or who is going to set the material to be taught? More unfunded mandating from people who are supposed to work for us? I think the tape series THE PLATINUM RULE would be the best way to material, it is simple and effective. Major premiss is this , while the Golden Rule teaches "do unto to others as YOU would want done to you" ,in customer service ( THE PLATINUM RULE) the idea is the find out what the customers and thinks is what the goal is supposed to be and to provide that. Racism is a ungly charge ,once made, it is impossible to live down and this is not fair . How is a person supposed to treat people of other races ? Someone can always make the claim that someone they dealt with is a racist. This goes for all sides and all races. In societies where everyone is pretty much uniform in racial backgrounds there is still some sort of pecking order , system of ostracism and those who are never are accepted. People do that to other people. The only remedy for this is for people having a conscience of how their actions effect not only themselves but others. And anyone above the age of nine soon realizes this isn't going to happen. For there are some , tragically, who seem to lack this module or sub-routine.
It is great we can all shake our heads and muse about why we don't live in a perfect world . And hopefully, the bulk of us can take some of our observations and change how we think and what we do. Other than that I don't think much will change, even with mandated classes and seminars, in fact, I think those things would just be simply be "preaching to the choir" . The uncoverted will simply not be in attendance. And not in just not being present in the building, they simply will never understand. Nor care to make the effort.

Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:58 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I guess I missed it or it never was mentioned but just what prompted this charge of racism against Blackstones? It better be something substantial and not just another one of these trumped up charges which are so in vogue nowdays and so over used since Obama became POTUS.

Post Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:08 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: