FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Mayor Dayne Walling what the heck were you thinking?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
back again
F L I N T O I D

gee. isn't it possible he appoints because as mayor, he has that right? Shocked honestly my man, i could care less whether or not you feel my opinion "is a load of crap". i'm quite sure you voted for mayor walling and when you did, you also afforded your trust in his appointments. the very first appointment he makes, your on the warpath!! whats your point? you could have run and i'd have felt the same way about your appointments. jeees!! give the guy a chance.

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:10 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Lets give the guy a chance!

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Sorry, backagain, our posts about this topic on Terry's title-changing blog are gonna be lost. I just responded to your post over there. Wish Terry would have made that subject a separate post.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:26 pm 
Elias12
F L I N T O I D

Yeah I guess Walling has the THE RIGHT to appoint people, but damm, why a crook like her? And don't give me this crap I have to give him a chance, he had one and he blew it. What is so damm annoying is that all you people out there saying that are making excuses for a VERY BAD choice. If he does this big of one one right out of the gate, what is next? I guess we taxpayers aren't anything but a source of money for stupid decisions and when we make good and reasoned objections to actions we are told to "have faith" . I thought politics and religion were supposed to be kept seperated. Have faith in who? Walling? In Poplar? Faith is a good thing but remember this, it was WHAT one has faith in that is improtant,not just the act of trusting itself.

Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:11 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Elias12 schreef:
We have Donna Poplar and her sister in law, both very highly ethically challenged people... What really amazes me is that people are going to stand behind Walling in this selection... Why did he chose this person? ... I am just wondering what the Poplars have on you Dayne that you are trying your best to keep concealed.
Elias, you are among many others upset by Walling's selection for personnel director. As for the WHY he selected her, it's reasonably simple--he needed the support of her contacts (and her sister-in-law's) in the black community. They are both active in the churches where they can influence large groups of people. They in turn will expect much of him. Let's see how long it lasts. My guess is that after the honeymoon "politics as usual" will function no better than the last administration.

Start thinking about who you'd like to have run for mayor in the next election. Grapevine has it that this is just a stepping stone for Dayne.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:42 pm 
Domet
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Elias, you are among many others upset by Walling's selection for personnel director. As for the WHY he selected her, it's reasonably simple--he needed the support of her contacts (and her sister-in-law's) in the black community.

Not that I disagree with that but....
...during the election, Greg Eason (city administrator, another terrible choice) put his support behind Walling. When it comes right down to it, Eason is irrelevant. He's a big name, but the real win from his support was bringing Donna over to his side.

Regardless of what you folks may or may not think of her, Donna Poplar is an amazing worker and exceptional organizer. I've worked along side her a couple of times and I will tell you - if she wants to get something done she will. Do I think this is the best choice for Dayne and his administration? No, but I think it was a pretty solid one. My biggest issue really is the appointment of Greg Eason. He spends merely a couple days in his new post and he's already butting heads with people throughout the city.

I have on many occasions butted heads with Donna, but I will say that she was not a bad choice. She has been straight for how many years now? A mistake in the past is not one I will hold against her, though it will make her next mistake completely unforgivable. Hopefully she stays true to her recent form and just takes on the work with a go-get-it attitude and gets the job done. I'm waiting to see what the next moves are before I go anywhere near a "recall" petitioner.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:22 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Domet schreef:
Donna Poplar is an amazing worker and exceptional organizer.... if she wants to get something done she will.
Let's hope it's all on the up-and-up. It is this determination in the past that brings concern about the future.
quote:
Domet schreef:
My biggest issue really is the appointment of Greg Eason. He spends merely a couple days in his new post and he's already butting heads with people throughout the city.
Is this butting heads caused by following the "direction" of the mayor or by his own independent action? Or perhaps personality conflict (as I'm guessing could well happen).
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:02 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

palace intrigue eh??? Shocked Shocked

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:41 pm 
Elias12
F L I N T O I D

No one is going to convince me that his choice was good for the people of this city . Well there is a chance, perhaps if Ms. Poplar remained unemployed she would have used her connections and ablities to form a gang of thieves outside of the local goverment variety and that would be terrible. So go ahead and roll your eyes and groan 'god, Elias12 is soo naive, this is how politics are played" It is that way because we permit it. And to those who think they have some kind of secret knowledge about Dayne just using this as this as a political stepping stone I say,who doesn't know this? And waiting two more years in not sage advice, it is terrible advice.
So to hell with it! First chance to get the hell out of here I am taking it. That may not send shudders through the city but this is all I have left to do . This city is not worth the aggervation . I encourage all people who have anything left in their bank accounts to leave. I know business people I will tell to get out of here, I will even help them find new places to go to. Flint's motto above the arches on Saginaw Street should be "abandon hope,all who enters here" . Dayne doesn't give a damm about Flint and neither does Poplar et al.

Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:49 am 
Domet
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Is this butting heads caused by following the "direction" of the mayor or by his own independent action? Or perhaps personality conflict (as I'm guessing could well happen).

From what I understand it's personality conflict, though to be honest I haven't been there to see it personally.

quote:
Elias12 schreef:
No one is going to convince me that his choice was good for the people of this city.

Then why are you here, and why are you arguing? It seems like a complete waste of time. I'm all for your right to say something, but it seems like you're more intent on being needlessly belligerent. It's almost like you have something to prove against Dayne and Donna. Look, I'm annoyed he appointed some people, and I certainly don't think they were the right choices. Facts on the ground are this: Flint is a city with a whole lot of interests and a whole lof of problems. People in power play with the pieces they hold, and in our situation it's a hell of a lot better for Dayne to collect as many players on his side as possible. Some of them may fall, but if he plays his cards right, in the end he'll still have all the pieces he needs to move forward.

Regardless of "we let it be this way," or not, people with power are going to negotiate with what they have. Donna Poplar has a lot of support, she has a lot of connections and it would be foolish for Dayne not to tap as much of that as possible. At least I'm willing to see where the pieces fall before I start sounding the goddamn retreat. Grow a spine and deal or get out of the trenches. We've had a lot of rats leave the ship as it is, and the more that go, the lighter we get and the better we'll sail.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:07 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:

Start thinking about who you'd like to have run for mayor in the next election. Grapevine has it that this is just a stepping stone for Dayne.

This end of the grapevine here is saying that Eason is being groomed for the mayor's job. Dane is using Flint for a check mark on his resume when he runs for mayor of DC.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:10 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Elias12
F L I N T O I D

So I am being compared to a rat because I want to leave this city now. Let's see. I voice objections to an appointment and compared to being a rat because I want to leave a city where my opinions don't matter, my objections are mocked and any input I may have is ignored , I am essentially told to shut and up and "hope" that this idiot now elected mayor know what he is doing and I have to have"faith" in him. Why should I have this faith when he has already made choices based upon just paying people back . People , I may add, who have already proven to be corrupt and not up to the job. And where have we sailed to ? Looks like we are sinking at the pier to me . Don't let the new fascades on those building downtown fool you, I remember that waterfront park in the same area casuing quite a stir , for a brief spell. And for how long after did this park pull the crowds in ? And for years it was largely neglected and looked like crap.
I will give a forecast of what the Walling years will be like. Donna Poplar now has her entire family working for the city , Dayne is wondering how he can put a postive spin on the city slipping deeper into a sea of red ink so he can try to get elected somewhere else and he can put this failed experiment behind him. And the gains people are clinging to now will errode. I have seen it before here in this city. The best defention of insanity I have ever heard is doing the same thing over and over again in the same manner and getting furious that you aren't getting different results. That is what is happening here.

Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:58 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Everyone has to decide what's best for themselves and their family. I will not disparage anyone's choice.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Elias12
F L I N T O I D

"Grow a spine"? What the hell are you talking about Domet? I have a spine, stronger one than yours. I live in this city, I have seen politicans make stupid choices for years and years here. I am belligerent, I actually loved this city and people get protective ,yes even "belligerent" when they see what they love in peril. And yes Donna Poplar has a lot of support,so did Al Capone, but that didn't make what he did right. No, we can't "all get along" , not all actions have the same results. So I guess we will all just have to do is let Mr Walling and his seasoned band of politcal cronies have their way with our city while we just "hope" things out and rub our lucky rabbit's feet till the fur is off of them,right?

Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:08 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
quote:
00SL2 schreef:

This end of the grapevine here is saying that Eason is being groomed for the mayor's job. Dane is using Flint for a check mark on his resume when he runs for mayor of DC.

Not governor of Michigan?

Post Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:27 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: