FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Cleanup crackdown includes tough penalties

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-38/11559972518210.xml&coll=5

This seems to be more good news on the war on blight.

Under its new code enforcement program, the city can place a lien on the property of anyone who ignores a ticket for tall grass, trash or other violations.

Building and safety officers began issuing tickets this week under a new strategy designed to clean up neighborhoods.

If you get a ticket and want to discuss it, you can go to court the following Tuesday, arrange to correct the problem and pay $135 in costs, the city attorney's office said. Otherwise, the fine is $150.

Each subsequent offense carries a fine of at least $250, and each day of noncompliance can result in another ticket, the office said.

"If trash is sitting in front of your house five days in a row, theoretically, you can get five tickets," said Kathy Dowd, an assistant city attorney who put the program together.

Failure to respond will result in a default judgment, and a lien will be placed against the property, Dowd said.
Post Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:47 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

i wonder how many people are renters in Flint vs. homeowners? I bet people who trash a property usually are NOT the owners.

If they leave trash laying around, do they or the lamdlord get the notice. The lien would mean nothing to the renter; only the landlord.

Of course, an active landlord should/would keep tabs on their property[s]; BUT, getting the the renter to do something is a different subject. So now how much hassle do landlords give renters for trash; if they don't respond then do they really want to go to court and start eviction proceedings, which takes time and money. All the while the landlord is accumulating tickets, while trying to evict the true offenders, who then upon eviction, usually trash the place for good.
Are the liens payable when property taxes are due; or just when the property changes hands [to clear the title]. Hopefully, the former.

Post Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:42 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS??

I don't have much love for warfare rats , but this is BS.

A person on a fixed income could not afford to pay a 3rd of his/her income.

25 bucks sounds fair for a first offense.

Post Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rapunzel

I agree that is steeper than we ever imagined.

Code enforcement has been a hot button issue for a number of years.
Putting teeth in the enforcement. Oh, but what big teeth you have!

Landlords should have grasscutting and property maintenance in the landlord/tenant agreement. If the tenant has signed a contract then it is the tenant that is liable for the fine.

I am pretty sure this will open another hassle for landlords to go to small claims court to sue tenant for fines.

Perhaps landlords could get together and discuss how to modify this enforcement with the judges? Remember they are elected officials.

Slum landlords will no longer find this such a profitable business. Still good landlords with poor tenants will also pay the price.

I believe this is a start and can be modified.

Peace,
Rap
Post Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:51 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes I agree 100%, if the property is rented out then the owner / slumlord should be slammed.

But if it is a senior citizen or a single mother that doesn't have the money to cut the grass I think a lessor fine or maybe a warning should be given for first offense.

Post Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
ellwoodflint

who do you think make the larger group of offenders?
i have alot of single seniors on my street. i can tell you they are in the yard alot more than the young couples.
I believe they have hit the nail on the head with the amount. there will only be a few who they need to enforce it on and the rest will fall in line because there priority is money. whether its the landlord or the tenant, they are only being asked to do what they should already do.
i may sound mean but there has to be a hard line on all of our ordinances. when we become bleeding hearts for some or try to pick little pieces out of the laws then we're angry when flint comes across as soft on issues.
the areas around us have the reputation of being tough, no excuses and have less crime. What is flints rep?
we need to support fair laws and let them work to get anywhere.
Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:08 pm 
young demm

Yes my point exactly. In my opinion, this fee is too low, for businesses who neglect their prpperties and for landlords who neglect their rentals. I mean is it really hard for a low income family to keep up their yard, takes me 2 hours at the most and can be easily prevented by simply by picking up ur own trash and cutting grass every week or so.
Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:28 pm 
Adam

Hopefully with this fee we can afford to hire more code enforcers. I've heard we currently only have 2? If people can't mow their yard for a whole month than why not fine them big money. If they can't take care of their property they can always move to places like Saginaw or Detroit.

I've had various people offer to mow my whole yard for $10 or $20. I think you could have your whole yard mowed for about $200 for the summer. If we weren't so anti business minded in Flint people would have their signs up showing how much they charge to mow lawns.
Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:11 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: