FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Thread Lake Swimming Pool - photos? information? anything?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Hi kids.

I am looking for some photographs of Thread Lake Park. More specifically, the swimming pool that used to be there.

According to my sister's research (we are a nerdy family), the swimming pool remained long after the amusement park failed, but since some thought that the swimming pool attracted kids who were ne'er-do-wells, the pool was demolished in an effort to make the neighborhood safer.

Glad that worked out so well.

Anyway, I only have two photos of the pool. A blurry one from 1919 when it was under construction and an aerial view of the park with only the top corner of the pool visible.

Please let me know if you have any photos of the pool. Photos or testimonials about the pool at Kearsley Park will also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:53 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

I have a couple of old planning books of the City... from the 1920's ... I'll look tonight... I know that it has photos of the Kearsley pool under contruction and the wading pool that was in the creek there as well...
Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Thanks! The ones I have came from the Flint City Commission Report of 1920. At least that is what I wrote down as the source.

Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:53 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I remember seeing the pool there in the 50's, when I was at the fishing contest they used to have at the lagoon.

Minor trivia - Thread Lake is rated as one of the best places to run radio controlled speed boats, since it's surrounded by hills that shield the surface from wind.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Looks like I have the same book that you do.... but it does show photos of them building the pool at thread lake... pg 50-51 The wading pool at Kearsley is on pg 45... the cement for that is still there on between the Bobby T and Kearsley Park ....

YOu might want to get ahold of David White at Kettering... I'm sure that he has photos in the archives of both locations....
Post Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

tegan!! you talking about "LAKESIDE" pool in kearsley park. we used to "jimmy" over the damn at clifford and lippincott to swim there. then after an afternoon at the pool we'd stop by the wholesale bakery and grab a couple 10 cent lemon pies and walk home. of course we'd stop at the old haunted building at the top of the ramp (from s.saginaw st. to the train station). it's gone now.....hell, everythings gone now!!!! i think the building was torn down after some sicko raped a kid there.

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:39 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

backagain, there were two pools. The one at Kearsley Park was torn down in the 1980s, but the bathhouse is still there. Its just called the Donnelly Pavilion now, and the doors and windows that led out onto the pool deck have been covered over. The second pool was designed by the same guy but at Thread Lake.

I can't think of what building you are talking about, but then again, a lot of things were gone before I even cared about buildings. The haunted ones are always the best.

Post Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:11 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

your right. lakeside pool was at thread lake. near a pavilion i think the marines used. dave and 2tap should remember the building. hell, i've had dreams about that building. it was on s.saginaw just south of 12th. street and was right next to the train overpass at the old train station.

damn, wheres my geritol!!!

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:45 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I can't remember if that was the Naval Reserve or Marine Reserve building.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:04 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I used to take the street that emptied out onto saginaw street that wound around that old freaky building. Quickest way to a lovely young ladys house on pettibone for a different type of pie. Laughing Laughing

Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:22 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

ohhhhhh, so 2tap ALSO hung in the "hood"? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

there were some nice hotrods in those neighborhoods!!! of course
me and my buds had better been out of there by nightfall! Laughing Laughing

P.Y.
Post Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:11 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Actually wasnt that old building a brewery at one time? oh ya tap and the boys cruised the hood, the royal, wallys, the dort drive in, atherton and dort not the replacement, boyles garage, kustom equipment, sometimes the colonels, the brick pavers on saginaw ( if you couldnt get your ride to squeal the tires on them you were really driving a slug) friend of mine had a 55 chevy with a 301 small block with a mculloch blower, 3 speed on floor, 411 gear, fast ride back than but wouldnt cut it nowdays. My self black 57 2dr chevy 283 powerpack, 3 speed on floor couldnt keep trannies in one piece, Don Boyle put several back together. Lots of fun where did the time go? And of course im still a kid at heart.
Laughing

Link

As far as Thread lake pool photos Ill bet someone somewhere has them showing themselves or an older family member actually there of course locating those folks is the problem. Years ago we metal detected that area and found some trinkets coins stuff like that. Another spot that was a bit risky but we did it at 6am in the morning was the old Oak Park site. Coins shop badges some rings and a bunch of hypodermic needles that the junkies left behind.

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:13 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

that was funny....what was the name of that place by southwestern. they always had hot cars there. i'd stop my schwinn 10-speed every day to cruise around the lot to see nice cars. hypodermic needles? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

uhhh, by the way tap..uhhh. i have this romanian friend who i uhhhhhh mistakenly mentioned to that i owned.....uhhhhh...a red nove and she...uhhhh was wanting me to give her a ride.......i was......wondering if
you would ship it.....uhhhhh to san diego for a couple.......weeks? Shocked

P.Y.
Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:56 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

That would have been the Varsity carfetria or something like that..Didnt hang there much all they played was country music. Shocked Ill wait till you get to San Fransico to ship you the Nova, you can have a gay old time with it Laughing

Post Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:14 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

It was originally named Dad's, but in 58 or 59 they had a contest to rename it & Varsity won. There was a big uproar about the place being a hangout for hoodlums and hot rodders, and police were usually there making sure you left as soon as you were done eating.

Varsity, Walli's, Colonels, Royal, the A&W's - those were the days.

Post Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:52 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: