FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Revival, Mark Farner 8/15/09 Flint Revival info 865
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Flint rock legend Mark Farner to perform in hometown
Grand Funk Railroad alum returns for show during Back to the Bricks weekend in August

FLINT, Michigan - Flint rock legend Mark Farner is returning to his hometown in August to perform in the city’s historic Atwood Stadium as part of a new daylong music festival.

Organizers of the music festival and Farner, along with his wife and manager, Lisa Farner, will officially announce the event during a news conference 4:30 p.m. Wednesday (May 27) at the new Blackstone’s restaurant in downtown Flint. Farner will be available to talk with the media at the news conference.

Farner was the lead guitarist and singer of the 1970s rock band, Grand Funk Railroad, which became famous for hits, “I’m Your Captain (Closer to Home)”, “We’re an American Band”, “Some Kind of Wonderful” and many more.

The concert will be Farner’s first official performance in Flint since 1975.

“This show will be like coming home to a family reunion,” Farner said.

The music festival and Farner’s concert will take place Aug. 15, which is the Saturday of the annual Back to the Bricks car cruise and show in downtown Flint and in communities along Saginaw Street in Genesee County. While the festival is not an official part of Back to the Bricks, event organizer Lynhn M Sorenson said it seemed like a perfect match.

“Flint is where the automobile is made and Back to the Bricks celebrates the auto and classic cars,” Sorenson said. “And Mark is a rock patriot who is from that classic car era. He’ll definitely appeal to that 35 and up age group. He couldn’t be a better person to have here.”

The music festival will feature performances by 10 different bands. It will start at 11 a.m. Aug. 15 at Atwood Stadium and will run all day - rain or shine. Other local bands scheduled to perform are Dr. Payne, Last Warning, Lil Miss Dangerous, South Bay Bessie and more. Cost to attend the concert is $10 per person in advance and $15 at the gate. A portion of the proceeds will go to the Food Bank of Eastern Michigan, Holy Rosary schools and Mission of Hope.

There will be a bus that will shuttle people between the Back to the Bricks and Atwood Stadium events.

In addition to the music, there will be several other activities taking place in and around Atwood Stadium, including a volleyball tournament, VIP tent, a Las Vegas tent run by the Holy Rosary congregation and vendors selling food, trinkets, art clothing and other retail items.

Concert tickets will go on sale June 1. A limited number of advance tickets will be available at: "Mike's Triple Grill" 605 S.Saginaw, Flint & "Blackstone's" 533 S Saginaw St, Flint with other locations TBA. Listen for more information through your local TV and radio stations. For more information 810.235-1970

About Grand Funk Railroad and Mark Farner:
Considered one of America’s biggest bands of the 1970s, Grand Funk recorded 17 albums with total sales of more than 25 million records. Farner is the unmistakable voice, guitarist and songwriter that powered the original Grand Funk Railroad to 12 platinum and 16 gold albums.

The group was started by Farner in 1969 with teenage friends Mel Schacher and Don Brewer and the group hit it big just several months after forming and was quickly signed by Capitol Records.

Farner and his wife, Lisa, live in Petoskey, but are on the road often.

About the music festival:
The festival at Atwood Stadium is sponsored by The Law Offices of Terry Bankert, Flint, Tom Ryan Budweiser, Flint, Blackstone's Pub & Grill, Flint, & STAT EMS, Flint .

On the Web:
Mark Farner’s official Web site: www.markfarner.com

Last edited by terrybankert on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:27 pm; edited 5 times in total

Post Sat May 23, 2009 3:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

aw man......if my memory serves me right weren't they called terry night & the pack many moons ago?? didn't they also play mount holly several times also...uhhhhhhh, those days are a bit "blurry" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

ahhhhhhh, those hippy days......i met great people and learned quite a lot about myself....... kewpies, the park downtown where music was always live.

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Sat May 23, 2009 1:52 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Terry & the Pack was a totally different group.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat May 23, 2009 5:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

TOKE!!!! TOKE IT UP MAN. Hey whatever happened to that body buildin big dude Last time there or somethin like that????

OH MAN LAST I HEARD DUDE WAS LAYIN PIPE IN VEGAS Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Sat May 23, 2009 5:37 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

ok on terry knight. i also saw mark and the crew. i remember all the girls screaming when mark would take off his shirt.. Laughing Laughing Laughing

ahhhh, those were the days 2tap!!! funny, now some of those guys and girls are into real estate and banking Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Sat May 23, 2009 10:03 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

YOU ALL MUST BE COMMUNITY LEADER! YOU ARE INVITED.
MARK FARNER will hold a Press Conference
Attention All Media and Community Leaders : You are invited to attend! !

Flint Revival Inc is excited to announce that MARK FARNER formally of Grand Funk Railroad will preform at Atwood Stadium on Saturday August 15, 2009.
There will be a press conference at Blackstone’s at 4:30 PM on Wednesday May 27, 2009.

Post Tue May 26, 2009 5:28 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

well right on then. this is nice to see....go flint go!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

P.Y.
Post Tue May 26, 2009 6:36 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

SEND ME A TICKET!!!

Any chance we can get the rest of the crew?

Donny Brewer played in his garage next to Sw. Creek High. back in the day and at Crapo mansion.

Crapo mansion was burned down when the city of Swartz Creek voted to demolish the site. An anti- establishmentarian statement that went unheard.

Now Swartz Creek wants to honor itself as the former governors home and the principal of the high school does not know Don Brewer lived two doors down from the entrance to the school.

I'm your captain, I'm your captain and I'm feeling pretty sick, I've been lost now for days uncounted....

Bring back the history makers, start the loca- motion.

What we were- we can be again! Rock & Roll and the Farmers Market, home grown vegetables, Atwood Stadium. Health and history.

With a few less drugs!

Peace,
Rap

Post Wed May 27, 2009 12:13 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Good Morning Flint! Lets have a little revival!
5/27/09
Terry Bankert

So here’s the deal. I thought I was taking the summer off, suspended my radio show and signed off the blogging for the summer. My wife , Lynn and I were going to kick back and enjoy June and July in Michigan.

But, Mark Farner will play at Atwood stadium August 15 2009!

So how does that affect me?

Husband's will understand.

My wife ,Lynn, CFO of Terry R.Bankert P.C., Mike Abraham of Mikes Triple Grill , and Karen Smith of Flint Revival Magazine are producing the concert under Flint Revival Inc. Lynn Sorenson President.

You got it! I’m in , No questions asked ,lock stock and barrel ,when do I sign the checks!

Please note ,The Busineses involved are all downtown based so its fitting they are involved in Flint's Revival.

I post my photos to flickr [ google flickr then type in terrybankert]. Recently I have posted pic of the Grand Funk overpass. If you are from Flint you know where that is. [Fenton Rd. near Southwestern].

Right now,5:20 am, I am uploading pictures of Atwood Stadium. The before the Mark Farner 8/15/09 concert pictures. I was there yesterday.

"Atwood Stadium before the Flint MI Mark Farner Concert 8/15/09."
Thumbnail
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30366181@N05/sets/72157618774248747/

Slideshow
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30366181@N05/sets/72157618774248747/show/

Judge Beagle and the Atwood Stadium Authority have done a great job bringing the stadium back to life.

Revival… that sums up what is happening in Flint.

Its fitting that Mark Farner is involved and with him the image of Grand Funk. We have produced some great talent from Flint, from all walks of life. IT MAKES ME PROUD TO SAY I AM FROM FLINT.

So, who the heck is Mark Farner some of you may say? The boomers will say," He Is My Captain."

Start here ;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Farner

Mark Fredrick Farner (born September 29, 1948 in Flint, Michigan) is an American singer, guitarist and songwriter, best known as the lead singer and lead guitarist for Grand Funk Railroad, and later as a Contemporary Christian Musician.

Farner began his career in music playing in bands like Terry Knight and The Pack (1965-1966), The Bossmen (1966), The Pack (aka The Fabulous Pack) (1967-1968), before forming Grand Funk Railroad (later called Grand Funk) with Don Brewer and Mel Schacher in 1969.

Farner was the guitarist and lead singer for Grand Funk Railroad as well as the songwriter for most of their material. Perhaps his best known composition is the 1970 epic "I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home)".

Grand Funk's "We're An American Band" reached #1 on the Hot 100 on Mark's 25th birthday.

After Grand Funk disbanded in 1977, Farner released his first self titled solo album. In 1978, Farner released his second solo album, No Frills. In 1981, Grand Funk reunited and recorded two albums, Grand Funk Lives and What's Funk?.

Farner went solo again with 1988's Just Another Injustice on Frontline Records. His third Frontline release was 1991's Some Kind of Wonderful, which featured a revamped version of the Grand Funk classic of the same name. Farner enjoyed success with the John Beland composition "Isn't it Amazing", which earned him a Dove Award nomination and reached #2 on the Christian Contemporary charts.

In the 1990s, Farner formed Lismark Communications with former Freedom Reader editor Steve Lisuk. Soon after, Farner began reissuing his solo albums on his own record label, LisMark Records.

Farner toured with Ringo Starr's Allstars from 1994 to 1995, which also featured Randy Bachman, John Entwistle, Felix Cavaliere, Billy Preston, and Starr's son, Zak Starkey.

In the late 1990s, Farner reunited with Grand Funk, but left after three years to resume his solo career. He currently tours with his band, N'rG, which plays a mixture of Grand Funk songs and Farner's solo offerings.

Farner was honoured with the Lakota Sioux Elders Honor Mark in 1999. During the concert in Hankinson, North Dakota, a special presentation was held honoring Mark's Native ancestry and his contributions. Members of the Lakota Nation presented him with a hand-made ceremonial quilt.

He has also been honoured with the Cherokee Medal of Honor by the Cherokee Honor Society.

An authorized biography of Farner, entitled From Grand Funk to Grace, was published by Collectors Guide Publishing in Canada.

Also look to Farners official web site.
http://www.markfarner.com/\

Today I am a groupie just like in the 70's. And from 10:30 on will be with Lynn ,Karen, Mike and Mark and his wife Leesia. We are doing a PR splash for the Mark Farner Concert 8/15/09 at Atwood Stadium.

$15 advance sales and $20 at the gate. It will be a day long event with vendors, refreshments, 10 bands preceding Farner and at 7 pm a few words and song from our Captain. We expect a sell out. Ticket locations to be announced. Look here!

Posted here by
Terry Bankert
I was born , live and have my business in Flint MI USA!
http://attorneybankert.com/

http://flinttalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=44362#44362

Post Wed May 27, 2009 4:28 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

@mlive,The Wednesday 5/27/09 all day press tour with the very classy, classic, rocker Mark Farner and his glamourous earth mother wife Lesia goes into my memory bank as a great unique once in a life time experience.
http://goodmorningflint.blogspot.com/
An article and Pic's to follow. Keep 8/15/09 Atwood Stadium Mark Farner concert in your calendar. I am all the way in on this, it will happen and be great, don't be late we will be rocking all day 8/15/09 ending with the King of Rock and Roll Mark Farner, in Flint...whodathunk.....trb

Post Fri May 29, 2009 6:59 am 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Rocker Mark Farner 5/27/09 press tour in Flint with an embeded blogger.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30366181@N05/sets/72157618955036238/show/

Post Fri May 29, 2009 9:44 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

There is a food chain that ranks people, actually more than one.

As we stumble through our time on earth building lives and the careers that fund them we are constantly mixed with those lessor and better. I am not being personal, discriminatory or elitist. We earn our way in this world. My politics argue that everyone gets an equal chance. But its just a chance. A chance to compete.

In competition there are winners and always losers. Some win regularly and some lose regularly. Most of us are on a roller coaster winning some and losing some. What’s my point. Its often difficult to identify the humble regular winner on a food chain you are not used to climbing.

I suffered this difficulty this week. A humble rocker and regular winner on the entertainment food chain was near, real close. I was hard to tell what link in this chain this rocker occupied. I knew it was a high link, I knew the name and some of the history. I listen to the music all my life since high school. But is was not my food chain.

I just saw a human being with a history in Flint doing a PR job I did not quite understand. But it was not expected that I should. I sat across the lunch table and talked a little politics. He was with his wife and was dutiful.

He carries himself with great dignity, professionalism and presence. He was gracious to everyone around him. Thankful for their thoughts and acts. I was bemused when the radio station Dj acted like he idolized this regular human being.

I saw autograph seekers all day long. I did not understand. I guess 26 years of politics and 10 years as a practicing lawyer has burned that part out of me.

Later , a day later I realized that I no longer have any heroes. This regular human being who toils in the entertainment industry is a hero to these people seeking his attention , autograph and audience to explain his impact of their lives .

Having a hero is a good thing.

I don’t buy music and remember neither names or song titles. I just know what I like when I hear it but can never order it. Heroes?

I guess you want to be like your heroes. You aspire to their characteristics for your self or just the enjoyment of being in their presence. Heroes?

I think how we treat other people is important, especially the old, young and those who have not competed as well as we have. I THINK WE SHOULD BE HUMBLE. An we should be grateful those who have helped us or allowed us to ply our trade by serving them.

I was genuinely impressed with this person I watched last week. I aspire to be more like him. I have actually test flown a little more humility, friendliness, appreciation and love for fellow human being. I has had a positive impact. Hero?

This person will be my hero for that reason alone. I still can’t buy the music because I cannot name it. After the Press Tour last week ,I was on it because my wife and several friends are promoting a concert, I read up on this humble regular guy.

I am kicking my self for the 100 of unasked questions I now have for this hero of mine Mark Farner .

My questions are not about success in the music business but are about how to have success as a human being and our relationships with others.

My wife appreciates I was quite. For back ground read the links below.

http://nightwatchershouseofrock.blogspot.com/search?q=farner
And

http://houseofrockinterviews.blogspot.com/2008/12/getting-closer-to-home-exclusive.html

To learn more about Mark Farner, or to find up to date tour dates go to this location :
http://www.markfarner.com/

My Flickr slideshow on Farners 5/27/09 visit to Flint Can be found at.
[Thumb Nails then click the slide show its 5 min.]
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30366181@N05/sets/72157618955036238/

Post Sat May 30, 2009 10:15 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

FLINT MARK FARNER ATWOOD STADIUM CONCERT AUGUST 15 2009 TICKET OUT LET ANNOUNCEMENT

Flint Farmers Market.
http://www.flintfarmersmarket.com/
420 E. Boulevard DR. Flint MI
Saturday 10 am to 3 pm.
Tickets available at booth under Steady Eddy’s Café on the North West end of the Farmers Market.

Tickets are $15 in advance $20 at the door.
The Concert will be at Atwood Stadium 8/15/09
Map to Atwood Stadium
http://www.cityofflint.com/atwood/atwood.htm

MARK FARNER WEB SITES
http://www.markfarner.com/
Mark Farner Fan Blog
http://markfarner9.blogspot.com/
“Good View “ from Flint with Mark Farner 5/27/09
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30366181@N05/sets/72157618955036238/show/

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

i'm gonna hate missing this!! Crying or Very sad

P.Y.
Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:33 pm 
terrybankert
F L I N T O I D

Farner home coming info
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30366181@N05/sets/72157619214357961/show/

Post Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:24 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: