FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Information Needed on Funeral in US
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
danialmark83
F L I N T O I D

Hello Friends,

I am Danial Mark. I am looking for some basic information on funeral services and law in US. I hop all you my friends help me.

Thanks,
Danial

Post Tue May 05, 2009 1:52 am 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

quote:
danialmark83 schreef:
Hello Friends,

I am Danial Mark. I am looking for some basic information on funeral services and law in US. I hop all you my friends help me.

Thanks,
Danial

What information exactly are you looking for?

Pan8
Post Tue May 05, 2009 6:43 pm 
danialmark83
F L I N T O I D

Please let me know are the services of a funeral director necessary to bury the dead?

Post Wed May 06, 2009 5:15 am 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

State laws vary but in most cases the Medical Examiner will be involved if the deceased expired in other than a hospitial. State law can mandate a post mortem be conducted.

I can not speak for Michigan but think that yes you will want the services of a Funeral Director even if no embalming or funeral mass is involved. If cremeation is an option you will need a state licensed Funeral Director. The Funeral Director is seperate from the embalmer. Cremation is the least expensive option.

I am not in Michigan but there may be someone on this board that knows for sure or do a net search for "Funeral Directors Michigan" get the contact number and e mail them.

Pan8
Post Wed May 06, 2009 9:40 am 
danialmark83
F L I N T O I D

Hi Pan,

Thanks for the little but meaningful information.

Post Thu May 07, 2009 6:03 am 
danialmark83
F L I N T O I D

Will life insurance pay for funerals?

Post Fri May 08, 2009 12:38 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Daniel,

If the final disposition of the body is not cremated then the funeral director has to be at the grave side to make sure that the body is interred correctly.

If the final disposition of the body is cremated there are a plethora of avenues...sprinkling in favorite spots, burial in a cemetery (I had one person dig his own hole to save money, family tradition), etc.

Finalizing my own dad's plans now...sorry for your loss.

The funeral home should be able to bill the life insurance company...that's basically what goes, on, I think....
Post Fri May 08, 2009 6:41 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Do you have to be embalmed if you are interred? I saw a show on cops one time where they were in a funeral home and they were explaining how they do it. I'm not sure I want my blood drained out and replaced with fake blood.
Post Fri May 08, 2009 7:34 am 
JoeMama
F L I N T O I D

Adam,

I'm certain you won't care (at the time) which kind of blood or facsimile thereof is in your body. Sorry, no disrespect intended, but after you die, it's no longer up to you what really happens to your body. In the case you have donated organs or given you body to science then it's already been decided previously and it's in writing. Just a reminder to make your arrangements and let your family and friends know your wishes. Then you can only hope they will follow along with what you've said.
Post Fri May 08, 2009 4:57 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

I still think we should have a real wake like they used to. When you drain the blood out and replace it you don't have to worry about things like

A woman coming back to life after being dead 17 hours
"“Her skin had already started to harden and her fingers curled,” Thomas’ son, Jim, told NewsNet5.com. “Death had set in.”

or
The woman in Peru that was cold and dead and came back to life when she was placed in the coffin.

or
the stillborn baby that came back to life

I personally believe we might have a few thousand more cases around the world per year like this if we didn't have the modern embalming process that ensures such a thing will never happen. Modern science seems a little too overly cocky to me. Especially when you have documented failures of mis-diagnosing death.
Post Fri May 08, 2009 9:37 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

"As of May 2009, the Earth's population is estimated to be about 6.77 billion."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population

I think that I will take my chances on the medical establishment in this country to proclaim a person legally dead. 6.77 Billion people and the odds of someone coming back to life after 1/2 a day are extremely rare.
Post Sat May 09, 2009 6:45 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

What if you're still twitching when they're sucking out your blood? Can't they embalm you immediately after your pronounced dead?
Post Sat May 09, 2009 8:55 am 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

Hmmmmm, an interesting topic if not at least off topic. That said a medical doctor must declare one dead and then sigh a death certificate. Now in the case of coming back to life several days later, it ain't a gonna happen as the post mortem will kill you and you can bank on that.

I think the OP question is if one truly needs the services of a funeral director as mandated by law and I would think yes.

Pan8
Post Sat May 09, 2009 9:55 am 
Schreef
F L I N T O I D

maybe you could be taxidermied into the Heisman position to remove all doubt.
Post Sat May 09, 2009 10:46 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:
What if you're still twitching when they're sucking out your blood? Can't they embalm you immediately after your pronounced dead?

I am stepping out of this since we just had dad embalmed yesterday....
Post Sat May 09, 2009 12:04 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: