FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: "Ghetto Tax"

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060814/OPINION01/608140397/1068/OPINION

I think this happens in Flint. It annoyed me how high the prices are when I was shopping in the north end.
Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:53 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm willing to bet it cost more to run a business in the north end of Flint vs. the north end of Lapeer.

IE: Theft, security, extortion , insurance and so on.

Post Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam

Good point. It's probablly rough running any business anywhere in Flint. It bothers me because it seems Flint has no clue about business. Perhaps when we lose a few thousand more jobs in Flint we'll be ready to go back to Republican leadership and job creation like we used to have during our prosperous Republican days. I believe Flint is one of the worst cities to start a business in.
I think it's ironic watching black council members talk about affirmative action when do such a great job preventing black people (Flint is majority black) from starting home businesses.
Adma Ford
Post Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:32 am 
ellwoodflint

adam,

i do not believe it has anything to do with color or political party. it has to do with education or the lack of that effects our bussiness, plain and simple
Post Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:55 pm 
Adam

It's not all about political party although Republicans typically are the party of business people. Businesses are typically the ones that create jobs. If you read the book Leadership by Rudy Giuliani you will see that some of the sucessful strategies he used to bring results to New York were not liberal but were very conservative Republican. If Giuliani would have been pro life I would classify him as an extreme conservative and he would probably win president. Giuliani dropped crime in liberal and heavily democratic NYC by about 50% among other dramatic accomplishments.

As an example of how Democratic liberal policies are less effective than conservative Republican results: With a democratic policy of welfare to all that are unemployed you pay to not work. With a conservative Republican strategy you could eliminate all free welfare and pay them to work on things like sidewalks. This played out in Flints Block grants. We could have been paying money to hire poor people to work on sidewalks and give them work experience and at the same time pay them. Instead it seemed to me that we favored giving handouts to non profits which produce less results. A non profit that pays people to give out handouts is less effective than a city that pays poor people to work on things like sidewalks.

To be fair though I think some of Flint's Republicans including (Crapo, Durant, Mott) made some serious mistakes but when you're running one of the most successful cities in the nation its easy to fail to anticipate disaster. I think what we should have done is encourage union workers to not go 30 and out but save up for 10 years start a successful business and then retire after 20 years instead of working 30 years in the plants. This would have seemed strange though in the 60's and 70's though and it's probably hard to get union workers to start businesses when they're making so much money on the lines.

I am majorly biased though because it would take a very tough hard-nosed Republican to run some of Giulianis successful strategies here in Flint.

As far as schools go I've heard our schools were once great under Republican leadership? Is that true?

Adam Ford
Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:52 pm 
ellwoodflint

I have never asked about Republican or Democrat... To be honest, I believe Republicans like to get rich on the backs of the middle class. Thats why we aren't going to have one anymore. We are heading toward a third world atmosphere..2 parties, very rich and very poor.
I'm registered Dem, because I like my rights. Some ideas swing toward reps. but to be honest, i also believe in alot of what is considered liberal.
So what would you consider me?
Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:37 pm 
rapunzel

I consider you a good candidate for school board!

Peace,
RAP
Post Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:51 pm 
ellwoodflint

not this round my friend..
i don't even know who applied.
Post Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:59 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

I'd pick Rapunzel as my first choice for school board but hopefully at least one of you two will run.
Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:39 am 
OleE

The real reason is lower credit scores and smaller loan sizes. In determining interest rates a small loan amount and low credit score guarentees you a higher rate. To be blunt lower income people by the shear fact that they have limited resources and little education are generally as a group going to have low scores. Also if a loan size is smaller than 100K many lenders are going to add some points because a smaller loan isn't as profitable.

I have to admit that there are a lot of lenders out there that screw people on a daily basis. Unfortunately the poor can be an easy target. Our lawmakers aren't really interested in fixing this problem.
Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:42 am 
ellwoodflint

i totally agree with you
Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:59 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: