FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: any reports on Flint council or school board meetings?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rapunzel

Anybody have any first hand info?
Post Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:13 pm 
flinteach9

School starts Sept 5th ! Half day !
Post Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:22 am 
Adam

The tax abatement for AI corporation that is expanding
its business. I liked AC Dumas's (NAACP) point about allowing the
public to speak at a public meeting and not just if they get their
forms in on time. I intend to pick up on that point at the next
meeting. I tried to make a point about Haskell park not being in
good shape but the council didn't seem to care. I have little hope
for parks like Amos which is near me if we can't even finish the job
at Haskel. Mays finally got some results about the named complaints
sitting at the Flint police department. I thought that was great to
finally see. Mays has been working pretty hard behind the scenes to
get some results.

I know schools is your main issue and that did come up at the
meeting because of voting location conditions. Inez then brought up
that some of the schools needed cleaning so poll workers had to do
some cleaning before they could set up the polls. Inez is working
with the Flint schools to make sure they are in good enough shape to
be voting locations on election day.

Although the meeting starts at 5:30 they are typically lasting until
8:30 or so and then there are after meetings. I headed home at
midnight after a post council meeting. I actually like the after
council meetings than the regular meeting.
Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:29 am 
Ehren Gonzales

Adam,

Please don't characterize me as not caring about parks. Your comment " I tried to make a point about Haskell park not being in good shape but the council didn't seem to care." , is unwarranted. Make no mistake, I DO CARE ABOUT PARKS. In fact I had a few volunteers cleaning up a park in the eigth ward recently in an effort to lead by example. Talk to you soon

Ehren
Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:31 pm 
Adam

Sorry, The majority of the council didn't seem to care. I hope to eventually bring the point home. I don't think my speech went right. Poplar seemed to take offense to it but she's not the one that runs the park. I don't understand why we can't fix playground equipment, pick up trash (in the trash cans) etc. I had no idea Haskell was a day care center so Poplar got me on that point but I still think we should be able to keep it open until 7pm.

The council doesn't run anything. Maybe you guys could subpoena the parks director and find out why we can't pick up trash or fix equipment. I thought Haskel was supposed to be fixed up? If we can't finish that up I don't see how we can get our many other parks like Amos fixed up.

I don't understand why the council plays games with referrals. I think we should have more subpoenas.

Kinkaid made the point a few meetings ago about tracs not being picked up before it starts overflowing in the barrels. That's what I saw at Haskel. The 2 trash cans were overflowing. It needs more trash pickups or more trash cans. The playground equipment was atrocious. Next time I will take a camera with me so I can have pictures to show.
Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:35 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Ehren,?

DO you ever watch yourself on Channel 17?

Watch how many in the council seem to be pre occupied while poeple are speaking. The Council will chastise us in the Audience (and rightfully so) But MANY on the council will have other conversations going on while people are speaking. If I remmember correctly I think it was you or Jim that waited for a conversation up front to finish before continuing. I liked that! LOL

This goes back to preception which we chatted about a bit after the meeting. You need to watch what is going on from our lazy Boy at home. You'll see why we show up at meetings so frustrated. When we see the council "Rubber Stamp" the Mayor's proposals. That may not be the way you see it. But those of us sitting at home listening to the "PEOPLE'S" or the "Citizen's" arguements hear your (Council's) responses and just don't see your points having more wieght than the ones the Citizens are bringing before you guys.
Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ehren Gonzales

Adam,

I agree with the over-flowing of trash at some parks. I will make a request that it is picked up more frequently in all parks.

I can't speak for others on the Council but I do listen to what the speakers are saying. Even though I may not agree with everything being said, I hear the opposing views and on some occaisions may even reconsider my position.

Ted,

I rarely watch TV, especially Council meetings. I usually watch sports, Seinfeld, or a movie now and then. I don't have time to sit through the meeting for a second time. I maybe watched it once or twice for 5 - 10 minutes.

Ehren
Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:54 am 
rapunzel

Trash containers between parks and schools, Do not get emptied. The parks staff think the school staff should do it the school M&O dept. think the parks should do it. NOT my job mentality.

The parks next to schools was originally intended to be a partnership, so both should maintain instead of neither. Hence we have children finding guns, needles and tons of glass in childrens play areas.

I have addressed the school board and the council on this issue a number of times. In fact I pointed this out to Peggy Cook at the Potter site ...where she could visibly see my point. She also remembered me addressing council on this issue when she sat in the fourth ward seat.( this site is now mowed and trash has finally been emptied)

The schools and the city both need to work together. Sit down and reestablish and reaffirm this partnership. Children are everyones concern!

Now on the citizens speaking at council....Some speakers have pertinant input to the agenda. Some speakers ramble on or start Praising the Lord or some have a legitimate community concerns. When all is said and the meeting I came to see starts...two hours have passed.
Now these speakers have said their piece and leave. Watch the audience dwindle down to the few concerned about what is truly happening in City Government.

I want to watch the actual meeting and shouldn't have to listen to "praise the Lord" so many times I think I am at a sunday service. These "citizens" waste my time and the councils!
Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:34 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

First hand info on the meeting? If you wanted I would call you. I tried to summarize but it's hard to type everything down that happened.
Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:59 pm 
rapunzel

Adam,
I submitted a Thank You for your summary, previously. I was not aware of the new "Yes for Guest" guidelines. So the website kicked me off totally. Lost my post in the interim.

So... Thank you...your summary was appreciated. A summary is better than a phone call as others can also stay informed.
Peace Rap
Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:48 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: