FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Police layoffs today!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

On channel 12 at 5, Mike Brown gave layoff notices to 50 police & waste collection employees today!!!!! He said the city has no money, and the layoffs in his proposed 2010 budget are in addition to these.

I realize that the city is broke and the police are a big portion of the general fund, but there HAS to be something that can be done other than cutting public safety! How about Brown dropping some of the cronies he hired? Why does he need a communications director, a community relations director that won't respond to requests to come to block club meetings, etc.?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

who are they and how much do they make Shocked Shocked Shocked

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:09 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
On channel 12 at 5, Mike Brown gave layoff notices to 50 police & waste collection employees today!!!!! He said the city has no money, and the layoffs in his proposed 2010 budget are in addition to these.

I realize that the city is broke and the police are a big portion of the general fund, but there HAS to be something that can be done other than cutting public safety! How about Brown dropping some of the cronies he hired? Why does he need a communications director, a community relations director that won't respond to requests to come to block club meetings, etc.?

That's just bullsh*t!! Like the response times are going to increase? How many people will be left at roll call? 1 or 2 with crickets chirping in the background?!
Post Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:52 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
back again schreef:
who are they and how much do they make Shocked Shocked Shocked

Can't remember their names, but they're being paid 40K each for the 6 months they'll be there.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:31 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

That's just bullsh*t!! Like the response times are going to increase? How many people will be left at roll call? 1 or 2 with crickets chirping in the background?!

A few weeks ago, I heard a call on the scanner about an armed robbery at Jester's bar on Richfield Rd. The dispatcher gave the call time as 1 1/4 HOURS earlier! The recent apartment house fire required calling out EVERY fire unit in the city to get the necessary manpower to fight it.

Actual numbers are 23 police, 13 waste collection, & 13 clerks.

hang on tight, it's gonna be a rough ride.

Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:35 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I heard a sargent ask dispatch if they were holding a hold up alarm call she replied "yes we have no one avaliable". If you Flintoids aint prepared to fend for your self I wish you luck, but of course many of you have been raised to believe in the goodness of your fellow man and that the cops will always protect ya. That should work out REAL well. Shocked

Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:54 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

and how would you know how we flintoids have been raised. i had a very good upbringing........but i also have a very good weapon! Laughing Laughing

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:37 pm 
seek4truth
F L I N T O I D

Flint can't afford an additional 48 layoffs. The delay on calls is out of control as it is. This last Friday a B&E in progress and a Domestic in Progress went four hours before a cop was dispatched. The Flint Police Department will be nothing but reporters. They will show up and take a report after the crime has occured.

Last summer it was not uncommon to have 2-3 shootings at once. We were stretched thin with officers. We had an additional 116 officers on the street. This summer if one shooting occurs it will shut the city down. What happens when that second and third one happens.

Let me make myself clear. Homicides and shootings will go unanswered. Why is this ok? Where will the home invasion rate on the priority list? I'll be honest, it won't get answered anytime soon. Someone please remind me on why I pay taxes? Why hasn't the Mayor took a pay cut? Does he really need a staff like he has?

Here is another question for you. What happens when the first college kid gets shot downtown? They do happen downtown. Last summer I arrested a suspect for shooting at another person. It happened in the U of M parking lot. I was just driving by and saw it. I'm no longer there, so I wont see this summer. There is also another 115 pairs of eyes missing. How will the college town movement go then? I imagine it will stop all together.

Flint is dangerous now, this summer we are going to see a whole new level of danger.

There is a council meeting the 29th I believe, I know I will be there. I encourage all of you attend also. Until then I am stocking up on ammo. I'm with Dave on this one. I will protect myself and my family. The city is putting all of its residents in this dangerous decision.

Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:24 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Okay, we're rational people on this board, let's figure out how we can keep the public safety in tact in the largest city in Mid Michigan....shall we? Let's problem solve!!

Public safety is the most obtuse thing to cut when the City of Flint has approximately 24.8 percent unemployment rate according to mlive archived articles for Jan. It's common sense, if you want to grow a city or transform it these cannot be compromised. The ISO rating for fire department will increase if services are cut/downgraded, thereby, increasing fire insurance rates on NEW and existing businesses AND homeowners policies.

Not to mention the police services. Whom is going to want to conduct business or move into Flint if they don't feel safe.

---According to the City of Flint website there are 15 people employed in the IT Department alone, cut expenses there. All that has to be done is maint. on existing software and hardware during the spending freeze. Lay off people in that department or look to CMU business students for help. For free they will design a website for jurisdictions in Michigan. Or consider utilizing a content management system and let employees update their own departments website. There is NO need to have 15 people employed here. Cut seven!!!

---12 people in the assessing department. Can these be cut due to the many houses that are vacant in Flint and eventually will be taken over by the Landbank? Cut 6. Dunno.

---One person listed in the Budget department? Seems like more employees needed in order to rectify this debacle!!

---elections department---three people? Wow actually. Although they do utilize part timers for the actual elections. Can't cut here, due to the upcoming elections.

---4 people in licensing....um realistically is anyone seeking licenses in flint for anything because of the economy? new businesses? Cut 2.

---11 people in the city council office? Pay cuts? redraw the districts to eliminate some positions due to the dwindling population? This would be really effective.

---City hall-offsite locations? WOW a really big list there!!! Flint Housing Commission? Is this office effective? Not much going on in the realm of housing. Even though the golf courses are open now could the fees be increased by a lot and run with a skeleton crew? Could one of the outbound firing ranges be used by the FPD and still maintain the MCOLES standards? Water and Sewer? Don't really think that it can be messed with...improved? YES!!!

---Civil Service Commission, make this part time since the city isn't hiring!!

---9 people in Community and economic development...have these people been effective? Has the community and economy of flint been developed? No, get rid of 5 people in this department.

---18 people in the Customer Service Department...cut this in half are there really that many customers in Flint left to service? Cut 9.

---21 people in Development management? Um...what does this department do? Let 11 go...sounds good.

---Um, two people in the employee health clinic? Egads, with all of the stress in this work environment see if you can add a half time person..sheesh!!!

---11 people in finance? Hell there should have been more in this department warning people of the crap that Don was pullin'. May have to keep this dept. there due to all of the stuff going on...sheesh. Dunno, cut three to 4.

---Hmm...8 people in Fire Administration? 7 now possibly due to superchief leaving? Could one be slashed?

---Human Relations has 2 people? People are being laid off, may not need 2 at this moment.

---Good Lord 7 people in Human Resources?! There are NO openings!! Keep essential personnel for unemployment, insurance and questions to be answered. Maybe three plus and admin assistant is all that is needed here, and only two times and a half times a week for reduced hours cut 4.

---8 people in income tax enforcement. Businesses have left and people are fleeing the area, cut this department down by possibly 3 people and increase the badgering on the people that are not paying on time.

---6 people in the law office. Now that Don's not around, we can lay people off in this department. Maybe by 3? This office seemed to have been ignored anyway.

---7 people in the Mayor's office, too many. I am sure that he's able to subsist with 5 including him. Cut 2.

---ombudsman's office...don't think that this office has been very effective...has it?

---Parks and Rec facilities maint. This office already seems to be running on a skeleton crew...egads...4 people? Maybe cut one?

---Nine people on the parks and rec...leave it there? cut one?

---3 people in payroll...too slim to cut? Not many employees left? Cut one?

---Planning and Zoning...um nothing to plan like a dragstrip or anything, but one person? That's IT? No wonder Don got away with stuff.

---Police....could things be streamlined to get more people on the road?

---5 people in Purchasing? For the love of god, there's a budget crisis, purchasing of non essential items should be put on hold!! Two people and one assistant would be prime. Cut three.

---Risk management 7 people? Cut three?

---5 people in transportation? Does this mean that higher ups are given their own cars still or is this fleet management? Flint should be selling their cars on bidcorp or something like that and reducing their liabilities assoc. with owning vehicles. No weekend trips and no overnight possession of vehicles, no private vehicles. Possibly lay off 2 in this dept.

---26 people in the water department? Is this normal? Could pay be reduced in order to save jobs? Cut 3?

---18 people in water pollution control? Can they reduce heads here? Is this amount of people normal? Water is still being polluted...does this mean the Flint River or the drinking water? Cut 3.

---16 people in the Water Service center? Egads. Cut this by 6...

I just cut 80 people without touching the police department and touched one in the FD....time for bed.
Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:55 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
Okay, we're rational people on this board, let's figure out how we can keep the public safety in tact in the largest city in Mid Michigan....shall we? Let's problem solve!!

militia
Michigan Militia
bankruptcy reorganization to get rid of legacy costs pensions to afford police
Union busting to save money to spend on the police

Seriously though we may need to go to a volunteer fire department to save money. We may also need to cut department heads salaries etc etc etc etc.

Realistically I'm not convinced without a bankruptcy filing that Flint will even be able to afford a police department in another 10 years.

With the coming census in 2010 and with our economy faultering we are looking at major property value falls, major income tax falls, major federal and state revenue sharing and government project cuts.

The gun toting patriots do have some valid points. If we can get a couple of these hair trigger gun toting patriots to release some of there well aimed arsenal into the bodies of some unsuspected criminals resulting in the unsuspecting criminals fatality I can see even one or two criminal kills this year helping to reduce our crime rate and the strain on our decimated police force.
Post Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:35 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

quote:
seek4truth schreef:
There is a council meeting the 29th I believe, I know I will be there. I encourage all of you attend also. Until then I am stocking up on ammo. I'm with Dave on this one. I will protect myself and my family. The city is putting all of its residents in this dangerous decision.

The next Flint City Council meeting is April 13 @ 5:30 pm.

Here is a good question to ask.... Where the hell were you people when the previous administration was spending us into a deficit? It sounds good to sit up there now and say that we aren't going to vote to layoff officers when they are part of the reason that all of these officers are going to be laid off....
Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:00 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Andi, unfortunately your plan can't be implemented; it makes sense.

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:51 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Adam, it's a shame that people feel this way. The need to arm themselves because government cannot provide the basics of police protections. Isn't the FFD Union? It's a tough row to hoe when you want to get rid of union fire departments and make them all volunteer. At this point in time, I don't really think that a volunteer fire department would be efficient in a big city with the other arm of public safety practically emaciated....

Josh: Most people don't really care about government until something is drastically messed with or it affects them profoundly. Either it's apathy or just trying to make ends meet and not able to attend the meetings. dunno.

Dave? That's the best compliment that I've had in a loonnnnggg time. Smile
Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:10 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
The gun toting patriots do have some valid points. If we can get a couple of these hair trigger gun toting patriots

Adam,Just what the f--- is a hairtrigger guntoting patriot??? Rolling Eyes

Andi very well thought out post. Very Happy Unfortunatly most folks are more concerned about really important things such as who got voted off American Idol. Rolling Eyes

Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:19 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:

Adam,Just what the f--- is a hairtrigger guntoting patriot??? Rolling Eyes

Andi very well thought out post. Very Happy Unfortunatly most folks are more concerned about really important things such as who got voted off American Idol. Rolling Eyes

I left out good aim. It's someone that would take matters into their own hands and initiate their own "crime reducing strategies" if confronted with crime.

I think Flint's criminals may be smarter than people give them credit for and probably take well thought out steps to avoid any run ins with armed citizens.
Post Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:41 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: