FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Why I carry.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Two women were upstairs in a townhouse in D.C. when they heard their roommate, a third woman, being attacked downstairs by intruders. They phoned the police several times and were assured that officers were on the way. After about 30 minutes, when their roommate's screams had stopped, they assumed the police had finally arrived. When the two women went downstairs they saw that in fact the police never came, but the intruders were still there. As the Warren court graphically states in the opinion: ``For the next fourteen hours the women were held captive, raped, robbed, beaten, forced to commit sexual acts upon each other, and made to submit to the sexual demands of their attackers.''

Afterwards, the three women sued the District of Columbia for failing to protect them, but D.C.'s highest court exonerated the District and its police, saying that it is a ` `fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen.''

Warren v. District of Columbia, 444 A.2d 1 (D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)

Two other simiilar stories that ended up "the same way" *

1) Ruth Brunell called the police on 20 different occasions to plead for protection from her husband. He was arrested only one time. One evening Mr. Brunell telephoned his wife and told her he was coming over to kill her. When she called the police, they refused her request that they come to protect her. They told her to call back when he got there. Mr. Brunell stabbed his wife to death before she could call the police to tell them that he was there. The court held that the San Jose police were not liable for ignoring Mrs. Brunell's pleas for help. Hartzler v. City of San Jose, 46 Cal. App. 3d 6 (1st Dist. 1975).

2) Consider the case of Linda Riss, in which a young woman telephoned the police and begged for help because her ex-boyfriend had repeatedly threatened "If I can't have you no one else will have you, and when I get through with you, no-one else will want you." The day after she had pleaded for police protection, the ex-boyfriend threw lye in her face, blinding her in one eye, severely damaging the other, and permanently scarring her features. "What makes the City's position particularly difficult to understand," wrote a dissenting opinion in her tort suit against the City, "is that, in conformity to the dictates of the law, Linda did not carry any weapon for self-defense. Thus, by a rather bitter irony she was required to rely for protection on the City of New York which now denies all responsibility to her." Riss v. New York, 240 N.E.2d 860 (N.Y. 1968 ).
[Note: Linda Riss obeyed the law, yet the law prevented her from arming herself in self-defense.]

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

And of course you have now been labled paranoid by the "everything is just rosy folks".

Post Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:56 pm 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

In the first example it would be interesting to know if the "bad guys" were armed with weapons? I ask because as we all know hand guns in the D.C. area are considered illegal. There was talk of the Supreme Court striking down the ban on hand guns in the D.C. area but not sure if they did. Now just maybe if the ladies were armed the story may have had a different ending.

Pan8
Post Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:12 pm 
Ponycar
F L I N T O I D

Police protection is an oxy moron. The police repond to crimes after they happen, take reports, investigate, and call in someone to clean up the mess.

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:01 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

shhhhhhhh...i see a car 3 miles away! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:32 am 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

quote:
back again schreef:
shhhhhhhh...i see a car 3 miles away! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Hey Back Again, looking at your avatar one might thing you are a drunk?
Laughing
Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:46 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I believe on occasion back again has been known to post under the influence. How else do you explain some of his ideas. Laughing Laughing Laughing

by the way heres an antis idea of what needs to be banned.
Mom-n-em's At It Again
Louisiana State Representative and Mom'n'em poster child Cedric Richmond (D-New Orleans) has once again introduced a ban on semi-automatic firearms, this time it is House Bill 68. He calls this bill the "Assault Weapons Protection Act", but lets be clear...... it "protects" nothing and bans lawfully owned guns, subjecting people who own banned guns to fines and imprisonment - with hard labor - for up to two years.

HB 68 would ban pump-actions as well as semi-automatics, and millions more firearms than the Clinton "assault weapons" ban of 1994-2004. Cedric's definition of "assault weapon" would include numerous autoloading and pump-action deer rifles, autoloading .22 rimfire rifles, some 19th century pistols, as well as many firearms with a "military-style appearance" used for self-defense, target shooting and hunting. He even preposterously makes the claim that these firearms are "equally as dangerous as machine guns and explosive devices." The bill goes on to ban firearm parts such as muzzle brakes, ported pistol barrels, and other commonplace firearm accessories, calling them "assault weapons conversion kits." Here is a list of just a few guns that his bill would ban:
Center Fire Rifles: Benelli R1; Browning BAR, Mark II Safari autoloaders, Browning Pump Rifle; Colt, Armalite, Les Baer, etc. Match Rifles; DSA Model SA58; Fabrique Nationale FAL; Harrington and Richardson Models 340, 360; H&K 770, 2000, SL6, SR9, 300, 630, 91, 93; Marlin Camp Carbine, Model 992; Mitchell Model LW-9; M-1 Carbine, all makes and models; Reising Model 60; Remington 7400, 740, 74, 4, 8 semi-autos; Remington Model 7600, 760 pump-actions; Ruger Deerfield, Mini-14, Ranch Rifle, Mini-30; Springfield M1A, Match, Super Match, SAR-48, SAR-4800, SAR-8; Valmet Hunter; Winchester Models 100, 1905, 1907, 1910; .22 Rimfire Rifles AMT Hunter; Anschutz Model 525 Deluxe; Armscorp Model 20C; AR-7 Explorer and Henry U.S.; Beretta Neos; Browning Buckmark; Charles Daly Field Grade, Superior Grade; CZ Model 511, 611; Daisy Models 2203, 2213; Harrington and Richardson Model 700; Ithaca X5-C, X15; Iver Johnson Trailblazer; Mauser Model 105; Mossberg Models 152, 350, 352; Reising Leatherneck; Remington Models 597, Nylon 77, 522; Ruger 10/22; Savage Models 64, 7, 1903, 1909; Marlin Models 522, 7000, 795, 795SS, 70; Thompson/Center Classic Benchmark; Weatherby Mark XXII; Winchester Models 77, 490.

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:54 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

That leaves the 12ga single shot that my dad got for his 12th birthday in 1919. 32" barrel, no choke, barrel is grooved from dad's experiment with replacing lead shot with steel ball bearings. Stock is cracked & loose, "fixed" with white adhesive tape.
If not for the sentimental value, I'd let a bad guy "steal" it & blow himself up when he fired it.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

HEY! I just realized they left the Browning 1917 BAR off the list! Laughing
Had one in 'Nam that was lost in combat then recovered, so it wasn't on any inventory list. Some people brought things like that home. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:35 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
If not for the sentimental value, I'd let a bad guy "steal" it & blow himself up when he fired it.

Hey you can always take it to the Next Patsy lou Williams sponsered gunbuy back Laughing (which is kinda odd since how do you buyback something you never owned) and maybe get $100 bucks for it. I know a guy that had a few old junk guns that he made enough off them to buy a shiny new glock 23. I aint saying who of course. Laughing

Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:46 am 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

Got me an old "blunderbuss" I like to load up with screws, ball bearings, lead wheel weights, and rusty nails. Shocked

Hey, "guys just wanna have fun." Very Happy

Pan8
Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:28 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

ha ha ha. nah, i don't get drunk, i'm too old to withstand the feeling the next day Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ..i appreciate feeling good everyday!
Post Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:51 pm 
seek4truth
F L I N T O I D

Dave Starr,

You didn't have to go out of the state of MI for an example. You could have used the incident this last summer right here in Flint MI. On Belvadere Ave., there was a domestic involving a husband and wife. They were currently breaking up. The wife was staying with her mother. They called 9-1-1 and the police never showed up. Later on in the evening the husband came back and booted the front door in. The police still didn't come. He shot both of them and killed the wife.

Flint has shown that public safety is not a concern. Mike Brown stated that his main concern is not having the state perform a takeover. I agree with the fact that every law abiding citizen, who is willing to use a firearm, should carry. The criminals sure do. Not to mention someday, that citizen could save mine or my families life.

Post Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:36 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

hmmmmmm...that blunderbuss sounds interesting! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:17 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

seek, I know of a lady having a terrible time with neighbor kids. They have vandalized her car & threatened her multiple times. The other day, they threatened to burn down her house with her in it. She called 911 & was told there was nothing the PD could do, and to call back when they actually torched her house. She spent the night sitting in her car to avoid being caught in the house if they did burn it. How hard would it be to have a cruiser roll down the street once in a while?

Post Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:04 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: