FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Flint Generals Not Paying Employees ( AGAIN ).

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Flint Generals front-office employee resigns, cites late paychecks as the reason

by Brendan Savage | The Flint Journal
Tuesday February 10, 2009, 6:42 PM

FLINT, Michigan — A member of the Flint Generals a front office has resigned because of late paychecks, something that has plagued the International Hockey League club the past two months.
Mary Nagy, who was in her first season as director of sales and game day operations, resigned because she said the International Hockey League club owes her four weeks back salary as well as commission for advertising sales.

Nagy said she submitted her resignation last week and her final day was Monday.

"I haven't been paid in over a month," Nagy told The Journal today. "According to quite a few of the owners, they told me they don't see the paychecks coming in anytime in the near future. And that's when I knew I couldn't wait anymore.

"A few of the owners suggested 'If you can find other employment, it's probably best because I don't see pay coming.' If you have owners telling you that, you're a fool not to take their advice."

Generals coach Bobby Reynolds, who is now in charge of the club's day-to-day operations off the ice, said he had a hard time believing that.

"I would almost personally guarantee you no owner told her that no checks would be coming," Reynolds said. "Why would any owner say that?"

Nagy didn't want to mention specifically which members of The Perani Group she spoke with and also didn't want to comment on the rest of the off-ice staff's payroll situation.

But she wanted to get her side of the story out so people wouldn't think she was fired or come to any other conclusions that aren't true.

"The owners that I have talked to said they do not see it getting better," Nagy said. "They couldn't give me a light at the end of the tunnel. I truly stayed because I love the Generals. I'm going to Port Huron Friday (for a game). I'm going to the home game Saturday.

"I support the team. I support the guys. I'm not going to stop supporting them. I do still have faith they're going to take care of (the late checks) right away. I'm not trying to cause trouble."

Reynolds acknowledged Nagy and the rest of the off-ice staff — including the coaches — are owed paychecks.

But he said the team isn't behind on the players' checks and that the reason the off-ice staff is owed money is because the Generals have been on the road and haven't had a home game since Jan. 23, meaning no money has been coming in.

He said the bills will be paid.

"Absolutely, there's no question about it," Reynolds said, "One hundred percent, anybody who is owned money or salary will get paid. The players are the first priority ... that they get paid and the apartments get paid, which they have.

"We all know February is a horrendous, horrendous month. We haven't had home games. I've talked to Bob Perani and Brandon (Bordeaux) and Travis (Prince) and all of the owners. February is a bad month but the players come first."

Reynolds said Nagy has received some money from the owners and she acknowledged taking out personal loans to make ends meet.

"She's been given cash by the owners to make sure she has money on a regular basis," Reynolds said, "If she decides she doesn't want to work anymore, that's fine. It's one thing to quit midseason but she's gotten more money from our owners than the rest of the staff. "

Nagy stood by her claim that the owners couldn't give her a concrete date she would be paid.

This is just the latest off-ice issue for the Generals, who have struggled financially all season.

Their average attendance of 1,552 is the lowest in the 39-season history of Flint pro hockey and the money problems first surfaced last month, when The Journal reported the players weren't being paid and some were facing eviction notices because the team hadn't paid the rent for their apartments.

Reynolds said both matters have been cleared up and that the Generals have been making arrangements to take care of any outstanding debts. They arranged this week to pay off their debt with the company that provides security at Generals games, which was confirmed by an employee of that firm.

"The security company is back on board," Reynolds said. "We've had a few lumps and bumps and now we have to find a way to finish this year out on a positive note and go on to the future."

The Generals finish a six-game road swing Friday in Port Huron and host Muskegon Saturday.

Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:34 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Don't really have any comment on the pay situation. Its a crappy situation. If only the Generals had the marketing genius of the Pittsburgh Penguins. They have sold out their last 95 games, and as of right now, they aren't even in the playoffs.

I've been meaning to go to a Generals game, but haven't had the chance until now, since I don't have a job.

Maybe its just me, but it seems there was a better outreach and marketing program last season. Last season, the Flint Generals Myspace group kept a lot of people posted on games, events, etc. This year, I hardly know what is going on anymore.

Plus they didn't invite me back to sing. :)

I wish them luck.
Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:37 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Another bad thing in Flint, TPG is ruining the Flint Generals
Post Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:08 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Tagan, don't you think its bad bidness practices to not pay your peoples?

quote:
Tegan schreef:
Don't really have any comment on the pay situation. Its a crappy situation. If only the Generals had the marketing genius of the Pittsburgh Penguins. They have sold out their last 95 games, and as of right now, they aren't even in the playoffs.

I've been meaning to go to a Generals game, but haven't had the chance until now, since I don't have a job.

Maybe its just me, but it seems there was a better outreach and marketing program last season. Last season, the Flint Generals Myspace group kept a lot of people posted on games, events, etc. This year, I hardly know what is going on anymore.

Plus they didn't invite me back to sing. Smile

I wish them luck.
Post Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:16 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

of course I think its bad business to not pay your employees. but I also understand that owning a hockey team is a little different than say owning a store or restaurant. After all, the Perani Group does not own Perani Arena, so I assume they do not get money from the tickets sold for other events held there. AND the Flint Generals had not had a home game since the end of January when the article came out, so that means that the money coming in had been slowed to a trickle since that time.

Yes, it sucks. Yes, the workers should be paid. Yes, the group needs to be reorganized to ensure that workers CAN be paid. But even Ms. Nagy isn't bad mouthing the Perani Group really, even though there is a conflict of what was actually said to her.

Like I said before, the Generals marketing people need to get out and start countering the bad publicity with good exciting publicity, so that ticket sales are boosted and money starts coming in again. That is the way to start.
Post Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:25 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: