FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Flint Mayor Don Williamson resigns

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
omgasmurf
F L I N T O I D

LINT, Michigan --Â Mayor Don Williamson has resigned.

Williamson, 75, announcement was made during an 11:20 a.m. news conference at City Hall. It is effective midnight Sunday.

"It has been a great pleasure and honor to serve the hometown where Patsy and I have lived our whole lives," said Williamson, who did not take questions during the news conference.

Rumors for weeks had been swirling that Williamson -- whose larger-than-life and often confrontational personality won him many of his supporters and his enemies -- would resign as mayor ahead of the Feb. 24 recall election.

Williamson repeatedly, and adamantly, denied those rumors.

Williamson last week dumped right-hand man Darryl Buchanan and hired Michael Brown, who worked for the Genesee Regional Chamber, as the new city administrator. He also appointed a new interim police chief, John Keahey, who is the third person in less than a month to fill the post.

The mayor initially won a term as mayor in 2003, and then was re-elected in 2007 in a close election against challenger Dayne Walling.

Since then, there's been a string of bad news, including budget deficits, layoffs, controversy over a proposed drag strip and turmoil at City Hall.

Williamson has pointed to some successes in the city, including the revitalization of downtown and the new alternative energy plant.

Flint voters in 2002 recalled then-Mayor Woodrow Stanley -- an election that led to a state takeover.
Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:55 am 
rusty
F L I N T O I D

Damn. All the good stuff happens after I get laid off from the radio station...
Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:25 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Now to get some council people that actually care about the residents of their wards.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Something isn't right about what happened in the last week. Mike Brown coming in and he states that he doesn't know the Mayor? Don, as evidenced by past actions, doesn't appoint people that aren't "with him".
Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:43 pm 
seek4truth
F L I N T O I D

Dave,

I agree, we need to hold this council accountable for there lack of actions. They let this city get this way along with the Mayor. Get the broom out Laughing

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:49 pm 
seek4truth
F L I N T O I D

O ya I forgot
THANK YOU, BYE BYE MAYOR Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:50 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

MICHIGAN ELECTION LAW (EXCERPT)
Act 116 of 1954

168.974 Recall or resignation of officer as prohibiting candidacy or appointment to fill vacancy; effect of resignation of officer.

Sec. 974.

(1) An officer who was recalled shall not be a candidate to fill the vacancy created by the recall nor be appointed to fill a vacancy in an elective office in the electoral district or governmental unit from which the recall was made during the term of office from which the officer was recalled.

(2) An officer who has resigned subsequent to the filing of a recall petition shall not be appointed to fill a vacancy in elective office in that electoral district or governmental unit during the term of the office from which the officer resigned.

(3) If an officer resigns subsequent to the filing of petitions to recall that officer from office, it shall not be necessary for the office with which the recall petitions have been filed to proceed under sections 961 and 963.

(4) If an officer whose recall is sought resigns after the calling of a recall election, the election shall not be held.

History: 1954, Act 116, Eff. June 1, 1955 ;-- Am. 1976, Act 66, Imd. Eff. Apr. 2, 1976 ;-- Am. 1978, Act 533, Imd. Eff. Dec. 21, 1978
Popular Name: Election Code

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:57 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Don Williamson's resignation: What's next?
by Kristin Longley | The Flint Journal
Monday February 09, 2009, 11:51 AM
Flint Mayor Don Williamson announced Monday morning he will resign effective midnight Sunday. Here's what happens next:

1. New City Administrator Mike Brown will serve as temporary mayor, according to the city charter. Brown will have all the powers of the mayor listed in the charter except the power to remove mayoral appointees and the power of veto. Appointees of the mayor can not be removed by the temporary mayor without the concurrence of the City Council.

2. The City Council will within 10 days call a special primary election to be held within 90 days to fill the vacancy. According to the City Clerk's Office, the primary would be held May 5.

3. Those interested in running for mayor need to collect 900 signatures from registered voters to be placed on the primary ballot. The due date for the signatures was not immediately available.

4. A general election shall be called not fewer than 49 and not more than 60 days after the primary election, the charter says.

5. The top two vote-getters from the May primary will face off in the Aug. 4 general election.

6. The newly elected mayor will serve until a regularly scheduled election in November 2011.

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:09 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

quote:
seek4truth schreef:
Dave,

I agree, we need to hold this council accountable for there lack of actions. They let this city get this way along with the Mayor. Get the broom out Laughing

What worries me is Mike Brown's lack of Veto power. Is there something crazy this city council could approve between now and August?

I also agree with andi...something phishy about the Mike Brown appointment.

Peace,
RAP

Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:28 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
seek4truth schreef:
I agree, we need to hold this council accountable for there lack of actions. They let this city get this way along with the Mayor. Get the broom out
All council positions are up for election in August and November. Know any responsible, qualified people who are up for the challenge of getting things done? Petitions are available in the City Clerk's office.

I'd suggest anyone running read the City Charter before filing a petition. Wink
Post Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:09 pm 
seek4truth
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Know any responsible, qualified people who are up for the challenge of getting things done?

I would be happy if they lived in the City of Flint. That would be better then some of the council could offer.

Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:14 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

damn i wish dave barber was here!! Cool Cool Cool Cool
Post Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:21 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
rapunzel11 schreef:

I also agree with andi...something phishy about the Mike Brown appointment.

Peace,
RAP

Don't worry I'm sure everything is perfectly clear to Mr Brown's handlers.
Post Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:45 pm 
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

The entire Mike Brown/Don Williamson turn around is much bigger than any of us imagine. We may never know the "whole" story of what went down. Through circumstantial evidence and personal knowledge, I surmise that the Career Alliance/City Security investigation by the feds was something bigger. I think that Don may have gotten caught up and was getting ready to take a fall. I also believe the state was considering receivership again.

In order to assure a more palatable election cycle and the potential to get "their" candidate on the inside lane, several influential persons got together and developed a plan. These players include, but are not limited to: Phil Shaltz, Bill White, Loyst Fletcher, and Bob Emerson. A deal was struck that "forced" Williamson to appoint Mike Brown and resign.

Williamson will not be pulling the strings of Mike Brown. However, the Uptown Development group and the Mott Foundation and other influential downtown business leaders will.

This is just my opinion and summation of recent events based on some personal knowledge and a great deal of circumstantial evidence. We'll see where it goes from here.
Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:39 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I've been hearing the same things, Bossman. I've also heard people advocate concentrating city resources on the cultural area, UM, Hurley, Carriage Town & Kettering and ignoring the rest of the city.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: