FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Williamson pledges to add 50 more cops
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rapunzel

quote:
ellwood flint schreef:
so what do we do in the meantime?

just wait till election time? there has to be something

Good point Kathy!

This Nov. Election is a done deal so there will be no action in Flint.

We need to focus on the county comissioners race. The house reps.

Turn political focus on the overcrowding at the county jail. SOLUTIONS!
There has to be consequences for crimes!

Small before they become large. Theft before they become murders.

Any attention on opening the city jail is a stop gap not a full solution.

Lets put all attention on the root of the problem.

Join together to make room in the county jail for criminals. All of them.

Move mental patients to another facility. Build a new jail or add your idea ....Here!
Post Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:54 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Now there is a Rhodes Scholar! Who got there by following roads! Common Sense and Past Experience tells us just what she has said below.

quote:
Turn political focus on the overcrowding at the county jail. SOLUTIONS!
There has to be consequences for crimes!

Small before they become large. Theft before they become murders.

Any attention on opening the city jail is a stop gap not a full solution.

Lets put all attention on the root of the problem.

Join together to make room in the county jail for criminals. All of them.

Move mental patients to another facility. Build a new jail or add your idea ....Here!

Adam, Before you start talking about giving Community Service as a Sentence. You might want to look into what it is and how it operates. Once, you've done that. Come back and post what you've found out.

Talk to some people who have had to do it. Find out how much "SERVICE" they personally had to perform. Find out what work they performed as the serivce. What was the Crime they committed that got them the Community Service sentencing.

My feeling (yes I sometimes use feelings) based on what I've seen from those that have gotten that as a sentence, and what they had to do. Is it is a Joke. Look into it and find out more. Let's see if you think the same way.

Now if that was a Labor Crew cleaning up the Parks or mowing city and county grass or out licking up trash along the roads. Maybe I'd have more sympathy for the sentence. But, not as it is currently being and been used in this area.
Post Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam

You're definately have a point Ted. It may be something that is easier said than done. There needs to be a good system in place to make my idea work. Perhaps community groups could put in requests for the service. Obvioulsy there would need to be some sort of administration/measurement. I do believe though it could work if managed properly. Even if mismanaged you could still have a results based program. For example if you had 10 criminals clean up a park and it only took them 3 hours of work to do that. We would save money, and get a park or lot cleaned. I think one day of productive community service would be much better than a day or so in jail.

We had a huge increase in jail time for the war on drugs. We've been able to throw millions of people in jail with it and guess what. It's still very easy to buy drugs. We've also made sentencing tougher and guess what. It's still very easy to buy illegal drugs. Fortunately for the smarter wealthier people they are able to get legal drugs that sometimes do similar things.
Post Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:09 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: