FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Biggest bash ever.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Baracks big party $110,000,000 and counting. Cmon all you lefties lets hear you stick up for this. Laughing

AP Slammed Bush’s ‘Extravagant’ Inaugural in ’05, But Now It’s Spend, Baby, Spend
By Rich Noyes (Bio | Archive)
January 14, 2009 - 13:51 ET

Four years ago, the Associated Press and others in the press suggested it was in poor taste for Republicans to spend $40 million on President Bush’s inauguration. AP writer Will Lester calculated the impact that kind of money would have on armoring Humvees in Iraq, helping victims of the tsunami, or paying down the deficit. Lester thought the party should be cancelled: “The questions have come from Bush supporters and opponents: Do we need to spend this money on what seems so extravagant?”

Fast forward to 2009. The nation is still at war (two wars, in fact), and now also faces the prospect of a severe recession and federal budget deficits topping $1 trillion as far as the eye can see. With Barack Obama’s inauguration estimated to cost $45 million (not counting the millions more that government will have to pay for security), is the Associated Press once again tsk-tsking the high dollar cost?

Nope. “For inaugural balls, go for glitz, forget economy,” a Tuesday AP headline advised. The article by reporter Laurie Kellman argued for extravagance, starting with the lede:

So you're attending an inaugural ball saluting the historic election of Barack Obama in the worst economic climate in three generations. Can you get away with glitzing it up and still be appropriate, not to mention comfortable and financially viable?

To quote the man of the hour: Yes, you can. Veteran ballgoers say you should. And fashionistas insist that you must.

"This is a time to celebrate. This is a great moment. Do not dress down. Do not wear the Washington uniform," said Tim Gunn, a native Washingtonian and Chief Creative Officer at Liz Claiborne, Inc.

"Just because the economy is in a downturn, it doesn't mean that style is going to be in a downturn," agreed Ken Downing, fashion director for Neiman Marcus.

And if anyone does raise an eyebrow at those sequins, remind them that optimism is good for times like these. "Just say you're doing it to help the economy," chuckled good manners guru Letitia Baldridge.

That spin is a far cry from four years ago, when the AP seemed interested in spurring resentment of the Bush inaugural’s supposedly high cost. Of course, displays of Republican wealth are routinely slammed by the media as elitist or aristocratic, while reporters seem to consider rich Democrats as stylish paragons whom we all should copy.

To get a real feel for the contrast, here’s an excerpt of Lester’s January 13, 2005 piece (as recounted in the MRC’s CyberAlert), starting with a lede designed to rain all over Bush’s parade and including the suggestion from two liberal Democrats that Bush eat cold chicken salad and pound cake instead:

President Bush’s second inauguration will cost tens of millions of dollars — $40 million alone in private donations for the balls, parade and other invitation-only parties. With that kind of money, what could you buy?

■ 200 armored Humvees with the best armor for troops in Iraq.

■ Vaccinations and preventive health care for 22 million children in regions devastated by the tsunami.

■ A down payment on the nation’s deficit, which hit a record-breaking $412 billion last year....

The questions have come from Bush supporters and opponents: Do we need to spend this money on what seems so extravagant?

New York Rep. Anthony Weiner, a Democrat, suggested inaugural parties should be scaled back, citing as a precedent Roosevelt's inauguration during World War II.

"President Roosevelt held his 1945 inaugural at the White House, making a short speech and serving guests cold chicken salad and plain pound cake," according to a letter from Weiner and Rep. Jim McDermott, D-Wash. "During World War I, President Wilson did not have any parties at his 1917 inaugural, saying that such festivities would be undignified."...

Billionaire Mark Cuban, owner of the National Basketball Association's Dallas Mavericks, voted for Bush -- twice. Cuban knows a thing or two about big spending, once starring in ABC's reality TV show, "The Benefactor," in which 16 contenders tried to pass his test for success and win $1 million.

"As a country, we face huge deficits. We face a declining economy. We have service people dying. We face responsibilities to help those suffering from the...devastation of the tsunamis," he wrote on his blog, a Web journal.

Cuban challenged Bush to set an example: "Start by canceling your inauguration parties and festivities."

Obviously, that’s not the media’s message to Barack Obama this year. And no one in the press is going to argue that, with the nation at war, the new President should be satisfied with cold chicken salad and pound cake.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:02 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:

President Bush’s second inauguration will cost tens of millions of dollars — $40 million alone in private donations for the balls, parade and other invitation-only parties. With that kind of money, what could you buy?

■ 200 armored Humvees with the best armor for troops in Iraq.

■ Vaccinations and preventive health care for 22 million children in regions devastated by the tsunami.

■ A down payment on the nation’s deficit, which hit a record-breaking $412 billion last year....

Or even better like 2 hours in Iraq and Afghanastan. Another one would be money for Israel so we can fund their war and help kill those muslims. Compared to some of the stuff we spend money on the innauguration is a bargain.

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:33 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

And of course dont forget all these "Against Global warming elite libs" who constantly tell us little folks "You Gotta conserve" except of course when its them doing the non conserving part Rolling Eyes

Hollywood on the Potomac: Where the stars will be
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:21 PM EST
The Associated Press
By JAKE COYLE AP Entertainment Writer

NEW YORK (AP) — If you thought the Golden Globes was a party, just wait until you see Barack Obama's inauguration. Next week, Washington will look a lot like a colder version of Hollywood.

Here's a roundup of who will be where, keeping in mind that in the mad rush to D.C., schedule changes may occur.

THE BIG SHOW

— On Sunday, tradition will be upheld with a free star-studded concert on the National Mall, starting at 2:30 p.m. Among the many performers: Bruce Springsteen, U2, Beyonce, Usher, Garth Brooks, Stevie Wonder, John Mellencamp, Shakira, Mary J. Blige, Herbie Hancock, Josh Groban, John Legend and James Taylor. Denzel Washington, Jamie Foxx, Martin Luther King III and Queen Latifah will read. Obama will stop by and HBO will broadcast "We Are One: The Obama Inaugural Celebration at the Lincoln Memorial."

WHERE'S OPRAH

— Winfrey will host a live episode of "The Oprah Winfrey Show" from the Kennedy Center Opera House on Monday. She'll also host a second episode on Wednesday. Winfrey has not announced her plans on Inauguration Day.

WHERE'S SPIKE

— Spike Lee will appear at a daylong symposium at Howard University on Monday to discuss topics including the impact of Obama on Black America. Also there will be Rev. Al Sharpton, Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr., Dr. Cornel West and Dr. Henry Louis Gates. Lee will also host an after-party Tuesday evening.

OTHER CONCERTS

— BET will hold an awards ceremony, the BET Honors, Saturday at the Warner Theater to honor Mary J. Blige, filmmaker Tyler Perry, Ervin "Magic" Johnson and others. Gabrielle Union will host and performers include Queen Latifa, Ne-Yo, Anita Baker and Joss Stone.

— The Hip-hop Caucus will host a concert Saturday at Ibiza with Common, Mary J. Blige and Nelly.

Jessica Alba Shocked OH NO not Jessica will host a kickoff event by youth voter initiative Declare Yourself on Sunday dubbed "A New Birth of Citizenship." Maroon 5 and DJ Samantha Ronson will perform.

— "Kids' Inaugural: We Are the Future" will be held Monday night at the Verizon Center and air on the Disney Channel. Performing will be Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers and Bow Wow. Michelle Obama and Jill Biden will host with their families.

— The "America Feels Kinda Cool Again Inaugural Gala" will feature the Beastie Boys, Sheryl Crow and Citizen Cope on Monday at the 9:30 club.

— Jay-Z will perform a concert — "In Concert on the Eve on Change" — at the Warner Theater on Monday.

— Aretha Franklin will play a free concert at the Kennedy Center with Nuttin' But Stringz and the Let Freedom Ring Choir on Monday.

— Manifest Hope will finish a three-day-long, Inauguration-themed art exhibit with a party featuring performances by Santogold, Moby and De La Soul.

THE OFFICIAL BALLS

— The Neighborhood Ball: ABC will broadcast this ball for Washington residents at the Washington Convention Center. Performing will be Mariah Carey, Jay-Z, Beyonce, Alicia Keys, Faith Hill and Mary J. Blige.

— The Youth Ball: This ball is for people aged 18 to 35 to celebrate "the role young Americans can play to serve their communities." After announcing and then junking a similarly themed ball, MTV will broadcast it. Fall Out Boy is among the acts attending.

— The other eight official balls are: the Home States Ball, the Commander in Chief Ball, the Biden Home State Ball, the Mid-Atlantic Ball, the Western and Southern Regional Ball, the Midwest Regional Ball, the New England Ball and the Southern Regional Ball.

THE UNOFFICIAL BALLS

— The "Dreams of My Father" American Scholars Inaugural Ball will take place Sunday at the Four Seasons and feature Alicia Keys, Macy Gray and LL Cool J.

— The Voto Latino Inaugural Party will on Sunday include Marc Antony, Rosario Dawson, Tony Plana and Wilmer Valderrama.

— The Hip-Hop Inaugural Ball will take place Monday at the Harman Center and be hosted by Russell Simmons, LL Cool J, T.I. and Young Jeezy

— The Huffington Post Preinaugural Ball will be held Monday night at the Newseum and feature performances by Sting and will.i.am. Attendees will include Tom Hanks, Steven Spielberg, Denzel Washington, Shakira, Jon Bon Jovi, Halle Berry and Ashton Kutcher.

The Green Inaugural Ball will be held Monday at the Portrait Gallery and be hosted by Al Gore. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing No energy being wasted here

— Muhammad Ali will attend the Kentucky Inaugural Ball on Monday at the Marriott Wardman Hotel.

— The nonprofit arts and entertainment advocacy group Creative Coalition will hold a gala to be headlined by Elvis Costello and Sting at the Harman Center for the Arts on Tuesday. Also attending will be Anne Hathaway, Spike Lee, Tim Robbins, Maggie Gyllenhaal and others.

— The Purple Ball, Tuesday at the Fairmont Hotel, will be hosted by Lou Gossett Jr. and Il Divo will perform. Expected to attend are: Ashley Judd, Patricia Arquette, John Cusack, Tim Robbins, Ed Harris, Ashley Judd, Josh Lucas, Amy Brenneman, Brendan Fraser, Susan Sarandon and Lisa Marie Presley.

— There will be two American Music Balls: The Legends Ball, hosted by Dionne Warwick and featuring Chaka Khan and George Clinton; and the Urban Ball — hosted by Ludacris and featuring Cedric the Entertainer and Monica. Both will be held Tuesday at the Marriot Wardman Park Hotel.

— BET will host an inaugural ball at the Mandarin Oriental hotel Tuesday. The network will broadcast an hour special to coincide with the ball, which will include a performance by Wyclef Jean.

— The Equality Ball, hosted by the Human Rights Campaign, will be held Tuesday at the Mayflower Hotel with appearances by Cyndi Lauper, Melissa Etheridge and Rufus Wainwright.

— The Inaugural Peace Ball, Tuesday at the Smithsonian Postal Museum, will be hosted by Harry Belafonte and include Joan Baez, Graham Nash and Jackson Brown.

— Rihanna will perform at the Recording Industry Association of America Inaugural Ball to benefit Feeding America on Tuesday.

— Nas, Josh Groban, Slash and Robert Randolph are among those performing at the Heroes Red, White & Blue Inaugural Ball (benefiting military families and veterans) on Tuesday at the Warner Theater.

See more stories in this category
Back to Previous Page

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:00 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

— The Green Inaugural Ball will be held Monday at the Portrait Gallery and be hosted by Al Gore. No energy being wasted here

Formal fig leaves only, or is casual ok?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:08 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

don't be sad 2tap, you can always go to the phoenix YMCA and join McCain, Palin and the other 6 people!!! the DJ's will be the sniveling twerp Mike Reagan and...........Rush (burp) Limbaugh!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:16 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

[/quote]don't be sad
Not sad at all just entertained at the once again blatant hypocripsy of you lefties. The old do as I say not as I do crowd. Maybe Baracko can get Rosie Odonnel to set on his lap and keep him warm during the swearing in. Laughing

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:34 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

awwwww. some kleenex for 2tap. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:45 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

The number of celebrities involved is a little disturbing. There is also a CD out called "Yes We Can." But hey, it's a free country. They can do whatever they like and support whoever they like.

My concern is this. How much of this is spent with taxpayers money? In 2000, the Bush Inauguration cost about $40 million. In 2004, it cost $35 million. Since January 13, Obama's inauguration costs have gone from $75 million to almost $150 million. Isn't anyone disturbed by this? Is this all with taxpayers money or donations?

Or maybe that's where the bailout money went.

PS. does anyone else think it's funny that Obama tried so hard to keep the song he and his wife dance to at the Inaugural Ball a secret, and then Beyonce went and blabbed it anyway?
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:23 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

i see no cause for concern whatsoever. Wink
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:28 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
i see no cause for concern whatsoever.

Well of course you wouldnt its 150 mil being wasted by Dems.nothing new here. Laughing

Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:11 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

halliburton's stock DOUBLED..... now THATS wasted money....cheney's laughing all the way to the bank. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:53 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Tegan schreef:

My concern is this. How much of this is spent with taxpayers money? In 2000, the Bush Inauguration cost about $40 million. In 2004, it cost $35 million. Since January 13, Obama's inauguration costs have gone from $75 million to almost $150 million. Isn't anyone disturbed by this? Is this all with taxpayers money or donations?

Compared to 2 trillion spent by the Fed and the hundres of billions spent on the bailout and the 800 billion or so that Obama wants this is chump change and a great value.

The innauguration should be the best day of Obama's presidency so you should enjoy the concerts and his speaking ability.
Post Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:27 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

As "back again" so eloquently states ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Post Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:01 am 
ManinthePinStripeSuit
F L I N T O I D

quote:
back again schreef:
awwwww. some kleenex for 2tap. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Very Happy Twisted Evil Cool Make sure that you give 2tap the bounty brand
(its the quicker dry the tears tissue Very Happy

Post Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:24 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Man!!! thats some handle. by the way the annointed ones coming out party is now up to $170,000,000 and not a homeless person in sight along with the DC hookers, well unless you count all those democrat whores who hang out in congress. By the way using paper towels to dry tears is a sure way to wear your nose raw.

Post Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:39 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: