FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Vacant home with swimming pool

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rgillmi
F L I N T O I D

The house next door to mine (it is located at 2620 Branch Rd.) has been vacant for a couple of months now. When the family moved, they took their fence with them. There is an above ground swimming pool in the unfenced backyard that is now about half full with water from all of the snow melting. Not only is this dangerous for the neighborhood kids, who are probably stupid enough to drown in it, the standing water will attract all kinds of insects and animals in the spring. I am also concerned that the water freezing and thawing could possibly break the pool which would then flood my yard and maybe even my basement.

I have contacted the Mayor's office, my council woman Sandy Hill and my county commissioner about this and have heard nothing. The property is owned by Countrywide Mortgage in California according to the cities tax records and they haven't returned any of my calls or e-mails either. At this moment no one is maintaining the property. The snow was never shoveled and there is garbage all over as well as broken glass. Some of the kids have already been breaking in to the house and they have also been tearing off shingles. It has wooden siding or else that probably would have been gone. I am not sure if anyone has stripped the pipes and wire yet, but I do not that people have been inside so there is a good chance that someone has.

Does anyone know who I can talk to get these things taken care of or how to get permission to do it myself? I could probably get someone to come and take the pool, especially since it would be free (if I had permission). The house probably should just be condemned and tore down, but I would be happy if it was at least cleaned up a bit. It is right next to the Potter crosswalk and kids and crazy adults pass by every day and it is only a matter of time before someone gets hurt.

Flint, Michigan - "the economy there is so bad that the hookers have been seen carrying snow shovels"
Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:51 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Welcome to my world; there's houses like that everywhere around here. As far as the pool goes, I'd make sure a large tear appeared in it, causing all the water to drain out.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:09 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Dave is correct a good sized hole about 2 inchs from the bottom should take care of the water problem. I would think a metal picker would be glad to haul the thing away.

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:39 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

i'd do what dave and 2tap said. thats too bad. the abandoned housing crisis in flint is something the "bailout" dollars SHOULD be used for instead of enriching local business millionaires.
Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:59 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

How to Drain an Above Ground Pool
http://www.ehow.com/how_2332_empty-swimming-pool.html

Better to rent a pump and bill it to Countrywide (if you don't have one of your own) than be arrested for vandalism and have to pay repair bill for pool.
Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:39 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I will quote Nike Chairman and CEO for this one " Just Do It"...

quote:
rgillmi schreef:
The house next door to mine (it is located at 2620 Branch Rd.) has been vacant for a couple of months now. When the family moved, they took their fence with them. There is an above ground swimming pool in the unfenced backyard that is now about half full with water from all of the snow melting. Not only is this dangerous for the neighborhood kids, who are probably stupid enough to drown in it, the standing water will attract all kinds of insects and animals in the spring. I am also concerned that the water freezing and thawing could possibly break the pool which would then flood my yard and maybe even my basement.

I have contacted the Mayor's office, my council woman Sandy Hill and my county commissioner about this and have heard nothing. The property is owned by Countrywide Mortgage in California according to the cities tax records and they haven't returned any of my calls or e-mails either. At this moment no one is maintaining the property. The snow was never shoveled and there is garbage all over as well as broken glass. Some of the kids have already been breaking in to the house and they have also been tearing off shingles. It has wooden siding or else that probably would have been gone. I am not sure if anyone has stripped the pipes and wire yet, but I do not that people have been inside so there is a good chance that someone has.

Does anyone know who I can talk to get these things taken care of or how to get permission to do it myself? I could probably get someone to come and take the pool, especially since it would be free (if I had permission). The house probably should just be condemned and tore down, but I would be happy if it was at least cleaned up a bit. It is right next to the Potter crosswalk and kids and crazy adults pass by every day and it is only a matter of time before someone gets hurt.

Flint, Michigan - "the economy there is so bad that the hookers have been seen carrying snow shovels"

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
rgillmi
F L I N T O I D

Well if anyone talks to the local scrapper/scavenger, please send them our way. There are also some pipes, wires and car parts laying around and other various junk that is probably like gold to someone. I am the only one that pays any attention to the house so I am sure that nobody will even take a second look, except for rival scrappers of course.

Thanks everyone, if any of you have any recommendations of anyone to contact or any options that are "legal", please let me know.
Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I'd rather take a chance on being caught doing something "illegal" than have a kid drowning in that pool on my conscience.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Ill bet if some homeowner decides to install a pool for his familys use and leaves it unfenced the building inspectors, cops, and just about everyone else with any authority would be there in a flash. Why is a vacant home different??

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:30 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Amen Dave!

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
I'd rather take a chance on being caught doing something "illegal" than have a kid drowning in that pool on my conscience.

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:17 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Welcome to Flint Michigan TwoTap!!

quote:
twotap schreef:
Ill bet if some homeowner decides to install a pool for his familys use and leaves it unfenced the building inspectors, cops, and just about everyone else with any authority would be there in a flash. Why is a vacant home different??

Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:20 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: