FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint loses grant for Kearsley Park over concerns
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Flint loses grant for Kearsley Park over concerns about who will run program; Ruth Mott Foundation pulls funding
by Joe Lawlor | The Flint Journal
Friday December 26, 2008, 11:55 AM
FLINT, Michigan -- The city has lost a two-year, $150,000 grant from the Ruth Mott Foundation to improve Kearsley Park over a dispute with Mayor Don Williamson about who would run the program.

Williamson had promised to tap into his personal fortune to reimburse the city for the cost of the grant, which paid for former project director Kay Kelly's $65,000-per-year salary. Kelly's contract wasn't renewed this fall.

But that hasn't happened yet.

When asked about the money this week by The Flint Journal, the mayor indicated he would eventually reimburse the city, but he wouldn't say when.

"Not yet, but I will," said Williamson, a multi-millionaire whose wife owns car dealerships in Genesee County. "I'll let you know."

Williamson said he "doesn't have time for this petty stuff," after he was asked to elaborate.

For five years, the Ruth Mott Foundation paid for Kelly's salary and kicked in an additional $10,000 per year to help improve the park. Meanwhile, the deficit-ridden city is paying her replacement, Genesee County Commissioner Miles Gadola, R-Grand Blanc Township, about $59,000 per year out of city funds.

The dispute: Williamson didn't want to retain Kelly, according to Steve Wilson, executive director of the Ruth Mott Foundation.

Williamson declined to answer questions about personnel. He replaced Kelly with Gadola this fall after Gadola lost his probation officer job with 68th District Court during the city's budget cuts.

Gadola, who has been on the job since late September, has no previous experience working with parks.

Gadola said he's working as best as he can to maintain quality, but all of Flint's parks are struggling with finances. He said he will do additional fundraising.

"We're working to obtain funding," Gaola said. "There's a lot of other philanthropic organizations."

Wilson said he's worried about the future of the park.

"The park is very important to us and to the community and we want to see it succeed," Wilson said. "There had been a tremendous amount of progress."

Kelly said over five years she raised more than $1 million for improvements including a pavilion, playground and walking trail. She organized numerous activities, including Shakespeare in the Park.

Kelly said since she left the park did not have its fall family fun day or the Christmas caroling.

"Activities in the park have stopped," Kelly said. "It's really, really frustrating."

Gadola said the city didn't have the "money or resources left" to do the family fun day or Christmas caroling. But he said many of the park's activities will continue, and he's hoping to start up some baseball and soccer clinics.

Flint resident Donald Kaye said Kelly did a great job improving the park, and he's concerned that it will go downhill. He said without constant supervision, the park could become a dumping ground and start to look "sloppy."

"What happened was the most dunderheaded and stupid thing I have ever heard of," said Kaye, who volunteers at the park and lives across the street from it.

Council President Jim Ananich, who represents the area where Kearsley Park is located, said he hopes that somehow the city can repair its relationship with the Ruth Mott Foundation and get the money back.

"It's just such a waste," Ananich said.

Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

wow.........that was informative.....whats going on?? Shocked Shocked
Post Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:46 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

65K for ONE park????

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:21 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

i really don't know enough about the situation to elaborate but dave asks a great question. 65k one park??? other than labor which could be done by making a deal with the sheriff to use prisoners to paint, build, cut and weed what else is there. i think department heads should have to do more than sit in neutral on the job. i have to believe these people may not be allowed to make decisions and act without checking in. damn........ Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:53 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Not justifying the salary... but I know that she also worked on updating the Park Master Plan for the City so that we could receive funding from the State.

But, I guess if an organization is going to give monies to help improve the City of Flint and they want to hire someone to see it through... they could pay them $1 million a year if they want.... as long as the City is not on the hook for it.

Seems kind of crazy to thumb-your-nose at free money.
Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

oh no, don't take me wrong. from what i've seen she did an excellant job.
the problem appears to be she wasn't allowed to do her job.
Post Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:08 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Kay Kelly was worth every penny, before Kay the park was in disrepair! She inspired people to get involved and made people from not only Flint but the suburbs to come back and see this great asset. I have the upmost respect for Kay Kelly, and her absence has already been felt.

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Kay didn't just put in her 10 hours a week, she spent way more than 40 hours per week getting things done there. Her work followed her home and into her travels into the community. She sponsored the ever popular "Shakespeare in the Park." But I think more importantly it was more than just Kay Kelly, it was her bubbly, outgoing, caring, compasonate personality who attracted volunteers to make the park what it is today!

Sure she did some work, and did it well, but it was the thousands of volunteers that turned that park around. Kay Kelly personality, and wit is contiagous

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:06 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

well damn, was she released only because the city could save a few paltry dollars by hiring gadola? wait, mott paid for her right?? i don't get this.
ain't makin sense. Cool Cool Cool
Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:47 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

LT when you moving back????? Summers coming and them pork ribs are waiting. Laughing

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:03 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

aw man 2tap, i can't even find open pit barbeque sauce here!!!!! can't
have a pit at this complex i'm staying at! Mad Mad gotta buy them cooked.
thank god theres a "famous dave"s" here. Laughing Laughing Laughing one thing i've
noticed here, it helps tremendously to know spanish!! also i've noticed,
these folks don't renovate much of anything, they demolish and build new!
think i'll stay a while and continue stuffing my mattress!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

dude, i've seen 2 1960 ford falcons (rancheros) for sale with good bodies.
a 5.0 in one of those would be WOW!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:53 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Ill bet them aint the only "Good bodies" your seeing. As far as those Rancheros those are FORDS we dont do no friggin Fords. Wink Laughing

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:51 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

wow.. when you movin back?

Post Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:17 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

not to mention that gadola has no prior experience working in the park system at all. Yes, $65,000 for one park, but for a woman who had the experience, enthusiasm, and talent for spearheading the renaissance of Kearsley Park. AND the $65,000 did not come from city funds.

It makes a lot less sense to pay someone $59,000 of city funds for one park who according to the article has no experience with any parks at all.

Kay was working on getting the old Kearsley Park Pool Pavilion on the National Register. I suppose that is on hold right now. :( I haven't been down there in 8 months or so, has the roof been fixed yet?
Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:14 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

well, i'm gonna milk this economy til i get that feelin to return or secure
a job in my area i'd enjoy doing. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:18 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: